Whiteface Conditions

171 messages Options
123456 ... 18
Gunny J Gunny J
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Whiteface Conditions

Whiteface skiing well, suns out conditions very good.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
D.B. Cooper D.B. Cooper
Reply |

Not much base depth.  WF is a rainfall away from losing much of its coverage.  I don't know if it's desire or capacity, but there hasn't been much snowmaking this year.  In the long term forecast, it looks like some touch ups will need to be done.  Guns aren't set up on Skyward.  I'd be surprised if that trail opens much before the end of January.  I'd be shocked if Lookout is open at all this year.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
D.B. Cooper D.B. Cooper
Reply |

Snow being made on Wilmington Trail (according to the web site).  That's before anything is done with Skyward.  Strange.
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

I would have to guess their is a problem with the snowmaking system.  Need bigger better snow making system!! Pronto
ADmiKe ADmiKe
Reply |

Excellent day at Whiteface today - started off with snow maybe an inch of net total frozen stuff...light rain for a few mins but overall mostly held off.  Great coverage and soft turns...glad we got it today before tmrw.  Definitely better day than anticipated given the forecast.
NorEaster27 NorEaster27
Reply |

Anyone recently?
D.B. Cooper D.B. Cooper
Reply |

Knee deep in spots yesterday.  By the end of the day it was soft bump, 15' of hard pack, repeat.  Probably good skiing today.

No sign of guns on Skyward.  Something seems off about that.  Was told that they're pushing for the Wilmington Trail to be open next.
NorEaster27 NorEaster27
Reply |

Was there Sunday but in a different way324FADD0-CEC4-45A6-A050-1BB14887A417.jpeg
Z Z
Reply |

In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
No sign of guns on Skyward.  Something seems off about that.  Was told that they're pushing for the Wilmington Trail to be open next.
I’d really like to know what the deal is with Skyward as well.  My suspicion that is that there has been some huge lack of PM Fup which is preventing it from being blown.  There are wild rumors but nothing solid.  

It made zero sense to blow only half of Wilmington then stop and blow Northway and Mac.  There appears to be no coherent plan.  I was at Sugarloaf for races this past week and they have at least 4 times more open terrain and not a rock to be seen laying on the groomers.

If Skyward isn’t blown right after WT it will tell everyone something is wrong.  If that is the case Hoyt’s better get blown next.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
JTG4eva! JTG4eva!
Reply |

Someone my brother rode the lift with this weekend (no idea who the person was, or if they have a clue) told him that WF has no plans to make snow on Skyward at this point.  There are only a couple of weeks left in the snowmaking season and they are going to focus on Wilmington.

I said I’ll believe that when I see it, but the general lack of snowmaking activity (another person told my other brother that they have to worry about how much water they take out of the river, so they can’t make that much snow) and the lack of open terrain (the best skiing this past weekend was on trails that weren’t open, and Patrol was actively chasing down those who dared to ski the best snow on the mountain, on trails that could have/should have been open [use a thin cover sign!]....probably for fear of lawsuits) just screamed of excuses, and makes me fear its true.  

As for conditions, Saturday was marginal.  At least the crowds weren’t bad for an MLK Chevy Saturday, thanks to the cold.  60% open at this point is kind of sad.  The 11 inches from Wed-Thurs was groomed into an ok edgeable surface that held up most of the day, but it was firm as opposed to soft, and a very noisy (I hate the sound of edges on hardback, everywhere), cold, and generally unpleasant day day of skiing.  Very cold and scratchy ain’t my thing, anymore.

What a difference a day, and 8 inches of snow, makes.  Despite the big crowds, Sunday was a great day, especially early.  Powder turns early turned to gorgeous packed powder midday, that got kind of bad by day’s end, on open trails at least.  The last few runs of the day found soft moguls with ice in between on a lot of trails.  There’s a lot of ice lurking.

Monday was ok.  Place was empty.  The aforementioned soft moguls from Sunday afternoon groomed in nicely, and the skiing surfaces were generally good until mid afternoon, when things got skied off.  All in all it was a good morning in an overall average day.

Hopefully Ullr starts delivering.....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
123456 ... 18