classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
172 messages Options
1234567 ... 9
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

Cadence Lodge
It was open Wednesday (yesterday) and skiing really well.  I'm sure it'll be open.  The entire mountain was skiing great - possible exception of lower sky.  Hoyt's looked fantastic - I'd be shocked if that doesn't open in a day or two.    
Visit us at cadencelodge.com http://www.cadencelodge.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Kleetus
Kleetus wrote
Trail report shows Cloudspin as open. Is it actually open? Love that trail and most every time I have been to WF it has shown as open on the trail report only to be closed. Any intel appreciated.
There are a few entrances, some of which are likely to have a rope.  Most notably is the top near the snow fence.  That it seldom open.  You'll have better luck further down Paron's or via Sky.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .

It doesn’t get any more bluebird.  No lines.  Fast and firm on the groomed.  Cloudspin is open, head  in off Paron’s around the fence.  Can’t imagine it not staying open this weekend, coverage is about as good as I’ve ever seen it.

Won’t lie, I’ll take the “crowds” with the warmers temps this weekend.  It’s fecking cold...again!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by DomB
DomB wrote
Sweet! What is the trail name for the glade, Z?
Slide view glade
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
They put the rope on it this morning (at least on the report), for whatever reason.  Birdie told me that lately Patrol is in a ticket pulling mood (at least last weekend) if the adventurous aren’t stealthy enough, so be careful, if you are going to ski something that isn’t open, or designated for skiing!
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
If the coverage is as good as stated why did they rope it? I know the answer...but frustrating. This is a common theme at ORDA mountains....as Gore often does this too

keep me posted on tomorrow. Very much leaning on making the trip up Sunday. Will keep an eye on the winds though, I have heard rumblings Sunday may be very windy.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Just to clarify...rope went up on Slide View.  Cloudspin should stay good to go, one would hope.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Kleetus
Kleetus wrote
If the coverage is as good as stated why did they rope it?
On a weekday...I’m guessing it’s lack of (patrol) staffing?  In Slide View and Sugar Valley it’s certainly not a coverage issue, I’m guessing.

Honestly, if they had the staffing and treated skiers like skiers I’m pretty sure the Slides could be in play.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Skyward was good, Lower Sky not quite as good, but nice to see it open.  Hoyt's also open.  All three were firm but very edgeable.  Last pitch of Hoyt's doesn't look too good - about 2 cat track width.  Not enough snowmaking to cover wall-to-wall.

Thruway looks like one to avoid.  Being a racer trail, it's prone to be really firm.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
How was the crowds? Any intel on Cloudspin and Empire?

Debating heading up tomorrow. Little concerned about winds...NWS is saying gusts to 60
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The ‘news on the social web wire’ today was -114 windchills on the summit of Whiteface!  Egads, man!  

It wasn’t actual bad, at all.  I’m sure there were winds.  We didn’t see them.  There could be tomorrow, but I’m not too worried about it.

Cloudspin and Upper Empire were open today.  Didn’t get to Empire, Cloudspin has good cover.

Crowds today were bad, sort of, but they weren’t, depending on where you were, and when.

Summit Quad and Lookout Triple were ski on.  Didn’t see any long lines for the FaceLift.  Gondola had a consistent 10 to 15 minute (if that long) wait, even at 3:00.  Some trails felt a little crowded, some didn’t.

It should be less crowded tomorrow.

Hoyt’s skied great.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Other than an annoying freezing fog icing up the goggles up high, a good morning.

Mountain seems crowded, but we haven’t waited in a ten minute lift line, yet.

Hoyt’s and Lookout Below skied well.  Cloudsplitter Glades run of the day so far.  Conditions report isn’t exactly up to date.  Upper Empire listed as open but rope was up on our last pass.  Sugar Valley listed as closed but the rope wasn’t up.

Cloudspin Lounge > Grizzly, although the view of the mountain from the new bar is great.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Whiteface is full. It's time to make the trip.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
Sure is,had a great day there yesterday. We have hit it right. all three times, up there this year. Sunny, no wind and great snow.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Now we just need the Slides.....
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
JTG4eva! wrote
tjf1967 wrote
Now we just need the Slides.....
Were the slides even open last season?  I don't recall them being.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Nope.  They would have been if I didn't buy a beacon.  
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
There were new tracks in the slides today. Someone definitely skied in there.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
There were tracks in 5 over the weekend, also looks like someone bushwhacked from that direction to put tracks in 4.  Were there tracks from the real entrance to some of the  other Slides?  That could be encouraging.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Nothing from the "real" entrance, although someone dropped into slide 1 & 3.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
1234567 ... 9