classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
172 messages Options
123456 ... 9
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

Cadence Lodge
Bjarmas, you're not wrong about Skyward.  It definitely needs more snow.  Come back though because things are trending in the right direction.
Visit us at cadencelodge.com http://www.cadencelodge.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

bjarmas
Cadence, of course we're coming back. I'm not busting on WF. We love it immensely. Our family has season passes so we're splitting between WF/Gore (Sat/Sun). These two are our home mts. I'm just reporting on what I'm seeing/hearing. Didn't mean to come off as unfair.  
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I really wish WF was more aggressive about opening terrain (I’m more than happy with obstacles, thin cover, and having to carefully pick a line) but Skyward certainly looks rough, although it’s probably not as bad as it looks.  Won’t take much snowmaking to get it open though, I don’t think.

Niagara is certainly ready.  Cloudspin appears to be in much better shape than Skyward right now.....from what little I could tell by watching other people ski it.

Glad the lift ride rumors about no snowmaking on Sky appear to be false.....although we are still waiting for the snowflake to move from Wilmington to Skyward on the conditions report.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Snow report says Skyward and Niagara are getting some attention.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Many pics of snowmaking on skyward on Instagram
Reply | Threaded
|

SayvilleSteve
Today starts the Empire State Winter Games and Whiteface will be hosting the Alpine Events: Ski & Snowboard Cross will be Thursday & Friday. Moguls will be Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Alpine Races: Super G will be on Friday, Giant Slalom will be on Saturday, and the Slalom will be on Sunday.

Anyone know what trails these events are run on? I am heading up Saturday and Sunday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cadence Lodge
SayvilleSteve wrote
Today starts the Empire State Winter Games and Whiteface will be hosting the Alpine Events: Ski & Snowboard Cross will be Thursday & Friday. Moguls will be Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Alpine Races: Super G will be on Friday, Giant Slalom will be on Saturday, and the Slalom will be on Sunday.

Anyone know what trails these events are run on? I am heading up Saturday and Sunday.
Historically the bumps are held on lower wilderness, the alpine stuff on thruway and drapers drop and skier/boarder's cross on wolf.
Visit us at cadencelodge.com http://www.cadencelodge.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

SayvilleSteve
Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Noted on the snow report as to which trails are closed for racing.
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
Anyone have an update on Whiteface conditions? I am thinking about heading up there for Sunday! Need intel plz!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Lifts going to spin at WF on Friday?

Tonight: Snow, mainly after 2am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 10. Southwest wind 9 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Thursday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 27. Windy, with a southwest wind 14 to 19 mph increasing to 23 to 28 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Thursday Night: Snow and sleet, becoming all snow after 11pm. Low around 21. Breezy, with a southwest wind 17 to 22 mph decreasing to 8 to 13 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Friday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 21. Wind chill values as low as -4. Blustery, with a northeast wind 9 to 14 mph increasing to 17 to 22 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Friday Night: Snow likely, mainly before 7pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -1. Windy, with a northwest wind 23 to 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Saturday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 6. Windy, with a west wind 21 to 31 mph.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around -5. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph decreasing to 9 to 14 mph after midnight.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 22. Windy, with a southwest wind 17 to 26 mph.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Cold!  It’s f$&@ing COLD!  -18 at the summit, but the 35mph winds per the conditions report are nowhere to be found.

All lifts open.

Summit is kind of a mess, and the conditions report is wrong.  Upper Sky isn’t open (at least not yet), and they dropped the rope on Cloud.  Cloudspin has a crust near the top of the powder, but easily breakable and soft underneath.

Niagara?  A mess.  As Upper Sky appears to be.  They made snow all through storm, and there is one  car track of rubble running down it, with a small section of icy cord on one side.  ICY cord.  You’d never know they just had a 20 inch storm.  I’m sure IF it opens there will be some pockets of powder, but it’s rough up there.  Oh, and Parson’s is as firm an icy mess as I’ve ever seen, with some soft powder wind blown around the edges.

So...it’s COLD!  That, and the Summit isn’t epic.

Up high the woods are where it’s at.  Of course they are all listed as open on the report, but ropes were still up on my last pass.

Lower half of the mountain is epic packed powder...the kind of snow even Benny would agree is packed powder.  We are talking soft, quiet, trench a couple inches deep packed powder.

There, I think my fingers have finally warmed up.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Relatively minor line at the gondola today.  Summit Quad and Lookout we’re ski on every time I was there.

Lest there be any doubt they DID get snow....the 3:45 money shots.

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Some photos from the new slide view glade
It’s between empire and upper Mac

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
Parrons and Skyward were in awesome shape today! All lower mountain runs were full of powder. Wilmington Trail had some sections that were sheets of ice with dust on top. Mountain Run moguls were soft and fun!
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Z
Glades were great this weekend.  I think there was an issue with a cat that prevented Skyward from being open Saturday.  Wilmington was good on skier's left, but was good wall-to-wall after the traverse/Lookout Below.

Snowmaking on most of Hoyt's, probably the last trail they get to before shutting down.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by Z
Sweet! What is the trail name for the glade, Z?
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Great weekend at Whiteface.  Had this weekend planned for a while to be up there with family, storm was a total bonus.  Was able to be there before the storm, ski thru it all the way into Monday.

Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Thinking of maybe heading up Sunday between Gore Saturday and Monday. Looks awesome.

Trail report shows Cloudspin as open. Is it actually open? Love that trail and most every time I have been to WF it has shown as open on the trail report only to be closed. Any intel appreciated. I know that trail gets hammered by the wind even when there has been a big dump leading it to be closed.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I’ll be there tomorrow, I’ll let you know.
123456 ... 9