hydrofracking yay or nay

157 messages Options
1234 ... 16
kenneywallace kenneywallace
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

hydrofracking yay or nay

And why if you chose, 20 words or under to keep it short, just an answer, one post per person

I'm curious to see what skiers think

Me
nay
no real checks to ensure the safety on nature and our drinking water
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |

Re: hydrofracking yay or nay

Not now. Drilling companies won't even reveal what chemicals they use now. Speaks volumes.

Reseachers are working on " nontoxic " chemicals for fracking. If successful then ok.
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

I say yes.

Have a couple friends who frack...they make serious bank...they've been doing it long enough with no issues

Fracking would save SOOOOOOO many farms in our area......we need this kind of money around here

Men in denim built this country, men in suits have ruined it.
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Not now. Drilling companies won't even reveal what chemicals they use now. Speaks volumes.

Reseachers are working on " nontoxic " chemicals for fracking. If successful then ok.
http://fracfocus.org/chemical-use/what-chemicals-are-used

Fraking is like making sausage, it ain't pretty but you gladly eat the end product. I also worry about the ground water, at the rate things are going good water may be more valuable than gas.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
ml242 ml242
Reply |

Very tough to be brief about this.

The answer, as with most things is "it depends". PeeTex is totally correct about the value of water. Look at how bad things are out west, why would we want to pollute our only cheap resource HERE (East Coast, but specifically anywhere close to a NYC reservoir) to negate barely anything from our local costs.

When you pump hundreds of millions of gallons of toxic chemicals into the earth in hopes of pushing something out of the other end when you will never know how many cracks spiderweb and propagate underneath the ground, well, it just doesn't seem that smart.
Gunny J Gunny J
Reply |

In reply to this post by campgottagopee
  Our family has property in the Delaware river basin and the commission has stopped all drilling in their jurisdiction, while areas north, land owners have cashed in.  Taxes on our land is about $5000 grand each yr. Its getting harder to hold onto the old farm. Fracking surely would make this possible.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |

In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
 When you pump hundreds of millions of gallons of toxic chemicals into the earth in hopes of pushing something out of the other end when you will never know how many cracks spiderweb and propagate underneath the ground, well, it just doesn't seem that smart.
....and probably no possible way to clean it up if needed. Water is way too valuable.

A study just released said fracking has been linked to causing small earthquakes. If so, that could distribute the toxics to where they cause great harm.

I understand people's temptation. My hometown in western PA has many people making A LOT of money off fracking.

warp daddy warp daddy
Reply |

As with all extremely complex issues ' there  simply is NO single clear cut BEST solution. Either choice will require  a leap of faith and no doubt will result in BOTH short term economic benefit while undoubtedly causing  the law of UNINTENDED consequences to be in play .

I certainly empathize with those in need of short term economic benefit given the depth of this recession , but frankly until i SEE more longitudinal data about effectiveness and safety of the process , i will be on the side of HUSBANDING  the LONG term benefit of preserving  a national  scarce resource such a clean ,abundant water .

DrSkimeister DrSkimeister
Reply |

I see fracking as just another opportunity to rape the earth, "because we can", for the sake of short-term economic benefit. The long-term cost to our kids and their kids and then their kids is the unknown that I fear that we're gambling with.
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

DrSkimeister wrote
I see fracking as just another opportunity to rape the earth, "because we can", for the sake of short-term economic benefit. The long-term cost to our kids and their kids and then their kids is the unknown that I fear that we're gambling with.
I agree with the good Doctor and his snow covered snout.  Until there is a more long term understanding of the effects of pumping the fluids (BTW, it's mostly water..like 99% and the rest is chemicals designed to help decrease the friction caused by the intense pressure involved) into the ground, I tend to say no.  
1234 ... 16