classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
327 messages Options
1 ... 891011121314 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Winter Weather 2016-2017

JTG4eva!
Will we have any more?  Winter weather, that is.......the week ahead looks dismal.  Not a lot of ncp, but we'd think the kind of temps we are likely to see would be too warm for the end of March, and here we are in February.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
The next two weeks look like a dumpster fire actually. The second week could change, but if it,really is as warm,as projected, it could put ski season to an end just as early if not earlier than last year.

I'd say this type of weather would be pretty normal for the third week of March. What I have found very strange about this winter is that the warming periods we have lasted for long periods of 1-2 weeks. We had two weeks of warm in January where it barely got below freezing at night. Then things were pretty solid until now. We basically got a month of actual good winter.

The sad thing is, March will probably end up being a cold month and all the good snow will be gone. That's how it seems to work out around here.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
This winter really hasn't turned out any better than last temperature wise. Its just that the timing of events worked out better for the ski areas this year And December was average as opposed to non existent.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Ethan Snow wrote
This winter really hasn't turned out any better than last temperature wise. Its just that the timing of events worked out better for the ski areas this year And December was average as opposed to non existent.

I was just about to post something similar...It really hasn't been cold , just some well timed snow storms...
Even out west the temps have been boarder line , there has been a ton of snow along with rain..I think it rained to the base of Alta 2 times this year..Kind  of unusual..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Will we have any more?  Winter weather, that is.......the week ahead looks dismal.  Not a lot of ncp, but we'd think the kind of temps we are likely to see would be too warm for the end of March, and here we are in February.
The west looks great..Around here just Meh...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah, I'd love to fly into SLC for next weekend, just not in the cards....at least not at the moment.  Hoping the warm temps last through next weekend if we'll be skiing Whiteface.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
What a melt down. If this keeps up we will be in reset state going into March!
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
http://flxweather.com/2017/02/20/early-taste-of-spring-for-the-finger-lakes-this-week/

Winter Isn’t Ending
The other bit of hype that will likely come out this week is about winter being over. Yes, it will certainly feel like spring. But, cold air and snow will almost certainly make it back to the Finger Lakes.

In fact, temperatures will likely return to normal by the end of the weekend after a strong storm system moves through on Saturday. Some lake effect snow early next week is possible.

Looking longer, March has been trending cooler. The middle of the month in particular looks primed for below normal temperatures and snow.

So, enjoy the warmth while it is here, but do not put away the coats and shovels yet. This is the Finger Lakes, after all.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Ethan Snow wrote

I was just about to post something similar...It really hasn't been cold , just some well timed snow storms...
Even out west the temps have been boarder line , there has been a ton of snow along with rain..I think it rained to the base of Alta 2 times this year..Kind  of unusual..
Yep, lots of rain mixed in in Tahoe, too, according to my brother.

It's almost as if the globe is warming somehow...

Hoping that March stays relatively cool and we get a couple more good snowstorms. This week is gonna be brutal.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
JasonWx wrote
Ethan Snow wrote

I'd say the PNW has been the anomaly.  We had below average temperatures for all of December and most of January & February.  There is still about a foot of snow on the floors of most valleys in NCW... typically everything below 3k has melted out by the 2nd week in February.

3 more inches last night... 6th day in a row of accumulating snow (about 2ft since Friday)

Current Back yard shot...

Comparison shot from early December...

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
It's almost as if the globe is warming somehow...
Just like it did in 1931 & 1932, two back to back very mild almost snowless winters in NY. In fact the ski train was supposed to run in 1932 but had to be delayed until March 1933.

Hoping that March stays relatively cool and we get a couple more good snowstorms. This week is gonna be brutal.
Me too, hoping for a rapid return to winter and more snow. As it is right now, we may just have a dull couple of months until spring activities can start.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
PeeTex wrote
Just like it did in 1931 & 1932, two back to back very mild almost snowless winters in NY. In fact the ski train was supposed to run in 1932 but had to be delayed until March 1933.
we knew you were old PT but dam you are making references to ski seasons before my parents were born
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
  We had below average temperatures for all of December and most of January & February.  
In the northeast? This year? Not even close. December was average maybe.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Ethan Snow wrote
nepa wrote
  We had below average temperatures for all of December and most of January & February.  
He is referring to the PNW
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Geese were flying well after dark last night
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Agree with Coach. How old are you?

Also, let's see how the global February temperatures compare to those of 1932-1933...

I'll repeat myself: it's almost as if the globe is somehow warming...
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Wait until the volcanos start blowing there lids. Cali, Washington, Oregon, gone!!  The rest of us covered in darkness for a year. We are ducked.  It will get colder though.  
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Good thing the started making sleds liquid cooled eh Camp.    
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Right on

We call them ATS --- all terrain sleds

I've gotten a little over 300 mils on this year, mostly at night with quick 20ish mile laps, all right from my door. Hoping to repeat that in March but I'm getting very skeptical now as to whether or not that's gonna happen. Still it's been a million dollars worth of fun for 2500 bucks, no complaints.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
JasonWx wrote
Ethan Snow wrote
nepa wrote
He is referring to the PNW

Still feels like January here... snowing lightly @Stevens this morning.

1 ... 891011121314 ... 17