734 messages Options
1 ... 23242526272829 ... 37
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Colleges for Skiing?

Z
I heard SLU trains SL at night somewhere on the Canuck side of the river about 35 mins away from school.  I assumed CU did the same?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Once trip in the last few years, past Ottawa.  Not close, but more snow at the time across the river.  D1 vs D3.  CU focus is academics as you know.  SLU trains more, and at night, to be competitive with UVM and Dartmouth.  Yeah good luck with that.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Too bad Tupper is basically gone or at least not reliable
It would save 45 mins to WF and you can train SL pretty much on any small hill
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
I like the sound of the engineering management program CU has.  In my job I see that project and program managers tend to rise up the Corp and pay ranks well and are in high demand.
A good friend of mine went through this program and another is in it. They both have good things to say, other than their student loans but CU is good about funding.

With that being said, is it worth going to a college near good skiing so you can skip class, waste your (parents) money, to ski for four years, or live somewhere you can make a comfortable living with access to good skiing the rest of your life?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
tBatt wrote
, is it worth going to a college near good skiing so you can skip class, waste your (parents) money, to ski for four years, or live somewhere you can make a comfortable living with access to good skiing the rest of your life?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
My wife and I have laid out around 400k in education.. They can have fun after college..I might sound like a dick, but it's all about the ROI...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
The engineering management thing sounds like a condensed bachelor’s version of a standard BS in engineering followed by an MBA? They do tout it pretty hard, but it’s not a bachelor’s degree that you see very often at other schools.

Does anybody go from that track to a masters in engineering?

Asking as a community college dropout.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
My wife and I have laid out around 400k in education.. They can have fun after college..I might sound like a dick, but it's all about the ROI...
You spent 400k on your kids college education?

Definitely not a dick. They better appreciate that investment!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
IMO : For the cost of an education put your emphasis on a high quality academic program with GREAT placement and Attending class rather than skiing .

If successsful and gainfully employed ,skiing is something you can do the rest  of your life but should never dictate your choice of colleges unless you have the potential to be the next Olympic luminary .

Hahahaha take up,Golf , more money , more pro slots and less injury ...just sayin !

SLU often trains SL at Camp Fortune 15-20 minutes north  of Ottawa and CU often trains SL at Titus .....have seen both there several times
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
JasonWx wrote
You spent 400k on your kids college education?

Definitely not a dick. They better appreciate that investment!
Yep
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
"CU often trains SL at Titus" - although I have not been involved last season, they did not go to Titus the previous three years, is this new?  Great move if so, closer, and benefits the "local" hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
tBatt wrote
, is it worth going to a college near good skiing so you can skip class, waste your (parents) money, to ski for four years, or live somewhere you can make a comfortable living with access to good skiing the rest of your life?
Yeah, drop out of a 4 year engineering school to go to a 2 year community college to drop out and spend 7+ years as a ski bum. If I don't have much of a cost of living, I don't need to make much, right?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Totally forgot about Titus.  It would make sense to train SL there for a couple hours at night given the shorter drive.

For now my son says he wants to continue racing  in College.  Besides that securing a starting spot at Div 1 is uncertain for him which will really depend on how his race results are his Jr and Sr yr when he starts racing Fis.  Clarkson is Div 3 McConellel conference.  It still high level racing entirely from academy racers but the time commitment is much lower and you can be scholar athlete vs a ski racer that takes college classes.  Race training is not a full day of skiing at the higher levels.  It’s 2 hours maybe 3 days a week with races every other weekend.

I’m all for it if he wants to commit to that and school.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Z that makes total sense , my son a medical professional was offerd a D1 scholarship at UCONN , but passed it up for the better rated Rx school with a D2 level , he started all four years made ALL East ECAC. For his last 3 years while getting a 4.0 GPA for his first 3.5 yrs , his program a 5 yr program was intense . In his last yr thUniversity athletic program ramped up to D1 status

The point is a student athlete status at D 2 / 3 will afford the potential fir both academic and athletic achievement providing the student is a great STRONG time manager .
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Two years ago when this thread started and I was following it closely, I was getting emails notifying me of a new post. Started getting those emails again.

A lot of the numbers being thrown around here are astonishing to me. 200k to get a bachelors degree? I went to a "community college" which is really a university now that still offers 2 year degrees. I would have never went if I didn't have a full scholarship. It took me 3 years to get my associates. Was going to go back and finish my bachelors in construction management, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I love the craftsmanship aspect way to much to trade it off as a pencil pusher. I feel like in this day in age, with the internet, the rising prices of higher education, and the need for young workers willing to receive vocational training, which is becoming more readily available, college is becoming less of a necessity. For me it just made no sense to continue.

Now don't get me wrong. If a student is driven, and knows exactly what they want to Do like be a doctor, teacher, Lawyer, something that requires a certain level of education to even put your fingers on, by all means peruse it. If you're very strong in Math and Science, by all means Persue engineering. My brother is in Civ E.  

It's just that if a student isn't totally sure what they want to do, save your money and go find your way. There's plenty of employers looking to hire a fresh mind with good work ethic. There's also a lot that can be learned from in the job experience. Especially in many of the same industries where engineers often persue employment.  The ROI is not always there. The low rate you may start at will more than make up for itself with all the money you save not going to college. If you can find your way during that time, you may very likely be making as much or more than that guy with the degree, and you won't be in debt either.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Great points Ethan.   So much opportunity in a vocation if you excel at it.  Just try to get a good contractor in the adks.  Oh they are out there just so booked up and backed up it’s months to get a visit.    So true that focus on the trades can be an excellent career choice with unlimited work if you make the most of it leading to a comfortable lifestyle for those who put forth the effort.  Good post!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Your a wise man Ethan. Go get em!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Ethan you are right, for many with excellent skills and a work ethic this can be a wise move . I have always said if a student has those attributes and a pick up truck they will make a decent living . Best of luck to you·You have the RIGHT stuff👍
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I don't believe Ethan is a millennial.  Based solely on his posts, he sounds too wise and has waaayyy too much of a work ethic.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
Two years ago when this thread started and I was following it closely, I was getting emails notifying me of a new post. Started getting those emails again.

A lot of the numbers being thrown around here are astonishing to me. 200k to get a bachelors degree? I went to a "community college" which is really a university now that still offers 2 year degrees. I would have never went if I didn't have a full scholarship. It took me 3 years to get my associates. Was going to go back and finish my bachelors in construction management, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I love the craftsmanship aspect way to much to trade it off as a pencil pusher. I feel like in this day in age, with the internet, the rising prices of higher education, and the need for young workers willing to receive vocational training, which is becoming more readily available, college is becoming less of a necessity. For me it just made no sense to continue.

Now don't get me wrong. If a student is driven, and knows exactly what they want to Do like be a doctor, teacher, Lawyer, something that requires a certain level of education to even put your fingers on, by all means peruse it. If you're very strong in Math and Science, by all means Persue engineering. My brother is in Civ E.  

It's just that if a student isn't totally sure what they want to do, save your money and go find your way. There's plenty of employers looking to hire a fresh mind with good work ethic. There's also a lot that can be learned from in the job experience. Especially in many of the same industries where engineers often persue employment.  The ROI is not always there. The low rate you may start at will more than make up for itself with all the money you save not going to college. If you can find your way during that time, you may very likely be making as much or more than that guy with the degree, and you won't be in debt either.
Just remember, as long as you do not have the credentials, you will be underpaid. The people that hire you will use any excuse not to pay what you are worth. Even in your own business, having a degree will give you a leg up if you need to borrow money or bid on a project. You are underestimating the value of a degree.
1 ... 23242526272829 ... 37