734 messages Options
1 ... 26272829303132 ... 37
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Colleges for Skiing?

MC2 5678F589
PeeTex wrote
. If he doesn’t have good time management skills or has poor discipline/judgement he will likely crash and burn anywhere he goes. I’m sure that’s not the case here so let him choose how he wants to make his decision.
Definitely agree.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Man, I would have rebelled real hard against that shit.
This generation is not quite sure how to rebel.  Can’t even get my kid to bring the bass guitar home from school......”you know, so you can form a band of your own, practice in a garage or basement somewhere, blow off some teenage angst!”

“What’s that?”
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
witch hobble wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
This generation is not quite sure how to rebel.  Can’t even get my kid to bring the bass guitar home from school......”you know, so you can form a band of your own, practice in a garage or basement somewhere, blow off some teenage angst!”

“What’s that?”
We're doomed
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
MC2 5678F589 wrote
witch hobble wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote

“What’s that?”
We're doomed
Junior has nothing to rebel against. I’m a super cool dad
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Fooz!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
PeeTex wrote
. ...let him choose how he wants to make his decision.
Definitely agree.
Look what I’ve wrought. When was the last time this happened?
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Utica has Utica roasting company.  Greens.  Tomato pie.   Half moons.  Jelly buns.  Chicken riggies.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Hoser wrote
Utica has Utica roasting company.  Greens.  Tomato pie.   Half moons.  Jelly buns.  Chicken riggies.
Yeah, I feel like the place has some soul even though parts of it look like a small Ukrainian factory town circa 1979.
It also has FX Matt brewery, which is pretty cool
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
What's the penalty for him going to a school close to skiing?

Are you gonna withhold college money you would have otherwise given him? Kick him out of the house?
Silly question. Won’t come to that. I’ve raised a pretty smart kid already so he will see the wisdom of my guidance
And these children that you spit on, as they try to change their worlds, are immune to your consultations, they’re quite aware of what they’re goin’ through....

McAnthem, anyone?

How dare you, sir!  Mr. Brownski!  How. Dare. You.  Demanding respect.  Implying limitations that might, in some small way, stifle your child’s creativity.  Potentially compromising your child’s ability to make the world a better place, be it through bringing it a more pure turn, or through the artistic expression of clean arcs on a blank powder canvas.  Actually insisting, in any way, that your child look to the future, and plan to provide for his family without having his hand out.  Reinforcing that choices, particularly irresponsible choices, carry with them consequences.  You, sir, are a monster!

Not!

Good thing you’ve instilled proper values in your children, so you don’t have to force such social and personal resonsibility upon them....

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Brownski wrote
Hoser wrote
Yeah, I feel like the place has some soul even though parts of it look like a small Ukrainian factory town circa 1979.
Spend a week there, then get back to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Brownski FTW ! hahahahhha
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
warp daddy wrote
?

What did he win?  An all expense paid trip to Utica for a week?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It's been a long time since I've been to Utica (80s) but I really liked it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
And these children that you spit on, as they try to change their worlds, are immune to your consultations, they’re quite aware of what they’re goin’ through....

McAnthem, anyone?

How dare you, sir!  Mr. Brownski!  How. Dare. You.  Demanding respect.  Implying limitations that might, in some small way, stifle your child’s creativity.  Potentially compromising your child’s ability to make the world a better place, be it through bringing it a more pure turn, or through the artistic expression of clean arcs on a blank powder canvas.  Actually insisting, in any way, that your child look to the future, and plan to provide for his family without having his hand out.  Reinforcing that choices, particularly irresponsible choices, carry with them consequences.  You, sir, are a monster!

Not!

Good thing you’ve instilled proper values in your children, so you don’t have to force such social and personal resonsibility upon them....
Ha! I love this. Perfect
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
Cunningstunts wrote
warp daddy wrote
?

What did he win?  An all expense paid trip to Utica for a week?
I’ll take it bro. UC for me!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Brownski wrote
This place sucks. They don't seem to clean their lines, so all Saranac beer has a shitty aftertaste. And since they bottle Lake Placid Brewery beers, too, they have the same crap aftertaste, too.

Total garbage.

(Utica isn't the worst, O'Scugnizzo's has a good lasagna special, but I try not to spend too much time there)
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
In reply to this post by Harvey
Yea it’s comimg along. New hospital planned and sports venues for kids along with ahl hockey and small businesses popping up.  Starting to make the change from the other Erie Canal cities.   Hope it works for them.    Pro soccer team too now stolen from Syracuse.    Really could be southern gateway to the Adks.    Also centered in nys for high school and college sports tournaments.   Building fields and venues next couple of year.    
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Brownski wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
.  You, sir, are a monster!

Not!

Ha! I love this. Perfect
You love "Not" jokes? Are you Borat?
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
All joking aside, what is drawing your son to SUNY Poly in Utica?  Is there a particular major he is interested in?

I totally understand going to a SUNY school in NY.  I will strongly suggest it to my boys when they go to college.

There's also a SUNY Poly in Albany.  I don't know much about Albany, but to me, there seems to be a lot more going on there and many more outdoor rec possibilities nearby.  I don't know what your boy is into, but there ain't jack for biking or hiking nearby in Utica.  If you go an hour north, there's some decent hiking, but not as good as if you go an hour north of Albany.  The skiing is OK in the area, but it's mostly small hills.  The best thing they get at times is decent natural snow.  It's a nice area if you like XC skiing or snowmobiling.  The DH is what I'd say about average for anywhere in the state, that is to say, he'd be within an hour of that caliber of skiing at almost any SUNY university e.g.

Buff State, UB and Fredonia = 1hr to Holiday Valley
Brockport or Geneseo = 1 hr or less to Swain or Bristol plus at least 5 places to MTB within an hour
Alfred is within an hour of Swain, Holiday Valley and Bristol
Cortland has Greek Peak right there
Plattsburgh has WF within 1 hr plus good bike trails near the city and in Wilmington/Lake Placid
Cobleskill is an hour from Plattekill (and most of the Catskills), lots of biking and hiking within an hour
Potsdam has Titus within an hour

Plattsburgh and Cobleskill would be highest on my list being interested in outdoor rec while having a city nearby
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
He’s gonna probably go for mechanical engineering which narrows his SUNY choices a lot. We’re gonna look at Binghamton and Buffalo. They’re bigger though. Junior likes (and will probably benefit from) smaller classes so poly has that going for it, as well as easier admissions standards. The Albany poly  campus is only for a new nano tech program so it doesn’t work but IF we were taking skiing into consideration, I’d agree that Smallbany is a good town for it. There’s night skiing at West and Jiminy. Gore and Magic (plus Snow, Bromley, Stratton & Windham) are about an hour and all kinds of places are a little farther.
1 ... 26272829303132 ... 37