classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
734 messages Options
1 ... 24252627282930 ... 37
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Colleges for Skiing?

SnowSnake
You can have your cake and eat it too. I went to Castleton State now Castleton University on a partial academic scholarship for two years before transferring out with a 3.75 GPA and skied 101 days my freshman year and close to 90 my sophomore at Killington/Pico/Sugarbush/Gore.  Decent school close to good skiing and lots of good programs that if you manage your time well (skied before or after class and weekends) you can do it all.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Why did you transfer and where to?

Welcome to the forum snake
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
Ethan Snow wrote
Two years ago when this thread started and I was following it closely, I was getting emails notifying me of a new post. Started getting those emails again.

A lot of the numbers being thrown around here are astonishing to me. 200k to get a bachelors degree? I went to a "community college" which is really a university now that still offers 2 year degrees. I would have never went if I didn't have a full scholarship. It took me 3 years to get my associates. Was going to go back and finish my bachelors in construction management, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I love the craftsmanship aspect way to much to trade it off as a pencil pusher. I feel like in this day in age, with the internet, the rising prices of higher education, and the need for young workers willing to receive vocational training, which is becoming more readily available, college is becoming less of a necessity. For me it just made no sense to continue.

Now don't get me wrong. If a student is driven, and knows exactly what they want to Do like be a doctor, teacher, Lawyer, something that requires a certain level of education to even put your fingers on, by all means peruse it. If you're very strong in Math and Science, by all means Persue engineering. My brother is in Civ E.  

It's just that if a student isn't totally sure what they want to do, save your money and go find your way. There's plenty of employers looking to hire a fresh mind with good work ethic. There's also a lot that can be learned from in the job experience. Especially in many of the same industries where engineers often persue employment.  The ROI is not always there. The low rate you may start at will more than make up for itself with all the money you save not going to college. If you can find your way during that time, you may very likely be making as much or more than that guy with the degree, and you won't be in debt either.
Just remember, as long as you do not have the credentials, you will be underpaid. The people that hire you will use any excuse not to pay what you are worth. Even in your own business, having a degree will give you a leg up if you need to borrow money or bid on a project. You are underestimating the value of a degree.
Respectfully disagree.

In no way, shape, or form does a degree help you borrow money, or bid  a project. Good contractors are not easy to find, and ones with good reputations can name their own price.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
campgottagopee wrote
x10003q wrote
Just remember, as long as you do not have the credentials, you will be underpaid. The people that hire you will use any excuse not to pay what you are worth. Even in your own business, having a degree will give you a leg up if you need to borrow money or bid on a project. You are underestimating the value of a degree.
Respectfully disagree.

In no way, shape, or form does a degree help you borrow money, or bid  a project. Good contractors are not easy to find, and ones with good reputations can name their own price.
Even though I come from an academic family with four Ph.D. degrees (professor parents, my older brother and I, all different fields), I have to agree that a 4-year degree is not a requirement for success.

My classmate from middle school attended high school but never got a degree mostly because he was an undiagnosed dyslexic.  It was back in the 1970s.  He worked for a while as a welder and then as a local truck driver hauling produce, later beer from Detroit to the Carolinas.  Found a program that allowed him to become an independent owner-operator of a long haul flatbed tractor-trailer, based in the east and hauling coast-to-coast freight.  Wasn't easy but eventually he became a dispatcher and then the boss of a small trucking company in the PacNW.  I don't think the bank who loaned him the initial money required to take over a failing company where he was working cared that he didn't have a college degree.  Have to say, he didn't quite do it alone.  He married a good woman who is an accountant and good office manager.  But it's his business instincts and ability to look ahead and talk to people that made the company successful.

I think the idea of a "gap" year that's common in Europe and Australia mades a lot of sense.  Why spend money on tuition when an 17/18 year old is not motivated to study?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
May be when your first out of college but in the trades industry that is far from fact.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Best Trades (IMO):

Steelworker - endless work from rebar to bridges
Welder - the more skilled, the better.  MIG is low skill, big pipe ARC and TIG are high skill, high dollar
Machinist - always in demand for high precision industry.  Good knowledge of CNC AND manual machining is a must for success
Masonry - concrete, union jobs are where you want to be.  Lots of work, good pay

I wish I could say carpentry, plumbing, etc... but it seems those trade have really taken a dive since I was a kid.  If you are a good contractor in a resort/vacation area, you can make good bank, but for residential areas, it seems like it's all corporate type places who sub-contract little guys.  Then there's the fleet guys in vans/trucks for HVAC and plumbing.  Not a lot of independents anymore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I don't exactly know if this is off topic or not.

I went to our daughter's back to school night last night. We went through her schedule spending 10 minutes with each teacher.  The writing teacher was upfront about her criticism of the school, they were cutting honors english for 7 grade.

I started to think about what skills I learned in high school and college that I have actually applied to earn money.

There were only two.

One summer during college I built a deck with a guy without a college education. The deck shape was irregular with a curved side. He asked me to estimate the amount of wood we'd need to build it, assuming that we'd waste 5% of the total we bought, through knots, warped board, bad cuts.  I used calculus and nailed it. We finished with only a wheelbarrow of scraps remaining. I made maybe $1000.

The other thing I learned is writing. I use it every day. In our business you've got to have ideas and you've got to be able to convince people that they are good ideas. You have to do this in writing first.  If you can do that, you are invited to a meeting and then you have to do it in person.  People who can do this well are the highest paid in our industry.

I'm not advocating anything, just sharing my experience.

Also would like to add that in the next five years I'm looking for a good carpenter in the Adirondacks.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In high school I always knew that I would receive some sort of college education at some point in my life. Agree that academic based skills like science, math, and even writing can go a long way for even the most primitive businesses. To be a good craftsman, you have to understand the basic theories and concepts behind what you're actually building. If you're good at writing, you can communicate and sell your ideas better. I was never good at Calculus. had to take it twice to get through it. I'm not sure I could incorporate it into my daily life, but I still think about the concepts almost every day.

Regardless, I have no regrets at all about getting an associates. Probably wouldn't have settled for anything less. The program I was in combined the concepts of design and drafting with extensive lab-based work involving everything from electrical, to welding, and machining. It only scratched the surface, but a good learning experience nonetheless. It's a little different from what I do now, but as a result my knowledge and skill sets are broader which is kind of the point of pursuing higher education
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Also would like to add that in the next five years I'm looking for a good carpenter in the Adirondacks.
Good luck with that. There are like 5 good contractors in all of the Daks and they are booked way out.  Get to know the one reliable one in your area now and lock him up way in advance.

Pm me as I know a very good one in your neck of the woods.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
I was never good at Calculus.
Believe me I wasn't bragging.

I had to take it three times. I just didn't get it.  Did really bad in high school. Did a little better in my "pg" year. Got a B the third time in college.

Z wrote
 There are like 5 good contractors in all of the Daks and they are booked way out.  Get to know the one reliable one in your area now and lock him up way in advance.
I actually have a guy. But I think scheduling him way in advance is a good idea.  I have been thinking about it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
Cunningstunts wrote
Best Trades (IMO):

Welder - the more skilled, the better.  MIG is low skill, big pipe ARC and TIG are high skill, high dollar
Machinist - always in demand for high precision industry.  Good knowledge of CNC AND manual machining is a must for success
Masonry - concrete, union jobs are where you want to be.  Lots of work, good pay

I wish I could say carpentry, plumbing, etc... but it seems those trade have really taken a dive since I was a kid.  If you are a good contractor in a resort/vacation area, you can make good bank, but for residential areas, it seems like it's all corporate type places who sub-contract little guys.  Then there's the fleet guys in vans/trucks for HVAC and plumbing.  Not a lot of independents anymore.
   You forgot the King of the trades Electrician  Every day as time passes more and more demand for skilled trades less available.  Pay scale headed way up. I have a degree not needed for the Union trades

Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote

Harv, here's my B-I-L business. He specialty is Timber Frame homes but does stick built as well.

I'll email you his #

I know you already have a builder in mind but it's always good to have options.

https://www.facebook.com/Adirondack-Timberframes-592716184121142/
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Gunny J
Gunny J wrote
Cunningstunts wrote
Best Trades (IMO):

You forgot the King of the trades Electrician  Every day as time passes more and more demand for skilled trades less available.  Pay scale headed way up. I have a degree not needed for the Union trades
I would think that an electrical lineman would be a fairly stable job with some good coin.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

SnowSnake
In reply to this post by Z
Thanks Z.

I transferred in part due to finding a program that aligned with my career interests with an Economics & Finance combined major.  At Castleton I would have needed a separate minor in Economics.  The other part was to follow a girl, which didn't work out so well, surprise surprise.  

Long term this kept me from pursuing the ski bum path and instead led to a career with some financial security but with far fewer ski days. Not sure I would do anything different though in hindsight, Castleton was a great experience.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
Gunny J wrote
Cunningstunts wrote
Best Trades (IMO):

I would think that an electrical lineman would be a fairly stable job with some good coin.
Linemen make very good coin. I actually considered being a linemen at one point, and looked into a linemen program. There's a "shocking" (no pun intended) statistic about linemen that most people don't realize and that is the fatality rate of linemen is 50%

If my quest to become the best carpenter in CNY fails, I may re-consider becoming a linemen. with NYSEG, or another equivalent co-op, you can start out making 80K with a minimum 20% emergency response rate.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Ethan Snow wrote
There's a "shocking" (no pun intended) statistic about linemen that most people don't realize and that is the fatality rate of linemen is 50%
That's lower than the general population where the fatality rate is, so far, 100%.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
What they do: Install or repair cables or wires used in electrical power or distribution systems.

Fatal injury rate (per 100,000 workers): 14.6

Non-fatal injury rate (per 100,000 workers): 1,365

That is way less then 50% ..more like .0146
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Ethan Snow wrote
There's a "shocking" (no pun intended) statistic about linemen that most people don't realize and that is the fatality rate of linemen is 50%
That's lower than the general population where the fatality rate is, so far, 100%.
This made me LOL
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
What they do: Install or repair cables or wires used in electrical power or distribution systems.

Fatal injury rate (per 100,000 workers): 14.6

Non-fatal injury rate (per 100,000 workers): 1,365

That is way less then 50% ..more like .0146
Never let facts get in the way of a good story.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by SnowSnake
SnowSnake wrote
 The other part was to follow a girl, which didn't work out so well, surprise surprise.  

Long term this kept me from pursuing the ski bum path and instead led to a career with some financial security but with far fewer ski days. Not sure I would do anything different though in hindsight, Castleton was a great experience.
My story has a similar start with a 180° ending - That's probably why I became a ski bum.
1 ... 24252627282930 ... 37