Did you move to Alta with a girl?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Colleges for Skiing?

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
What they do: Install or repair cables or wires used in electrical power or distribution systems.
Your statement is a common misconception among many. Cables and wires are only a very small part of a lineman's job. Perhaps the easiest part. The power distribution system in the U.S. is made entirely possible due to these handy devices known as transformers. Every power distribution station (and almost every service entrance to a home or business) is full of them to step up, and step down voltage, and exchange it for current. The installation, maintenance, and sound understanding of these devices is primarily what a linemen is responsible for. Running wires in different configurations between the transformers is the easy part, and wouldn't pay very well if that's all they did.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
JasonWx wrote
What they do: Install or repair cables or wires used in electrical power or distribution systems.

That was a cut and paste from a most dangerous jobs site...I realize their job is  dangerous and complex.

I was just showing that only .0146% of a 100000 lineman die on the job..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
I was sort of surprised at first with the focus on “Greek life” at these tech schools (the student who led our tour at RPI just wouldn’t shut up about it) but I think the engineer mind lends itself to some sort of organizational process in social setting as well as academics.

But yeah. We’re in a college town here. It’s an issue. The combination of group entitlement and tribalism, along with the groupthink and abdication of personal responsibility, throw in some excessive drinking and youthful indiscretion.  it’s a problem.  Seems to be an increase in greek life amongst this generation as far as I can tell.

I tell my kids: I like to make my own friends and enemies, thanks.
I went to RPI. My take on the Greek system there was that a bunch of kids who "didn't fit in" socially anywhere else, came together at RPI and now "fit" into their Sororities or Fraternities.

I'm not much of a joiner, so I stayed away and still did fine.

I believe the school is currently trying to shut down the Greek System.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Did you move to Alta with a girl?
Nope freshman year of college, she was still a senior in highschool. Ah, young romance...
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
Skidmore , great liberal arts school, more girls than guys, fantastic college town, close to West Mountain, not too bad a ride to Gore, and Killington and Whiteface not ridiculous. However my skiing son, really didn't take advantage of the access to West or Gore, he was too  busy with the girls.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Honestly, we’re not gonna let skiing even be a factor in where he goes. On the other hand SUNY Poly in Utica seems to be a good fit and it’s an hour to McCauley and Snow Ridge from here

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Brownski wrote
Honestly, we’re not gonna let skiing even be a factor in where he goes
What does this mean? Like, if he says "I want to go to SUNY Plattsburgh because it's close to good skiing", you'll say "no, sorry, that can't be a factor in your decision"?
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Honestly, we’re not gonna let skiing even be a factor in where he goes. On the other hand SUNY Poly in Utica seems to be a good fit and it’s an hour to McCauley and Snow Ridge from here
Ummm... except it's in Utica!  You ever spend much time in Utica?  It ain't all that great... and I'm being kind.

I lived there for a few months working a contract job.  Lets just say I self-medicated a lot to get myself through...
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
What does this mean? Like, if he says "I want to go to SUNY Plattsburgh because it's close to good skiing", you'll say "no, sorry, that can't be a factor in your decision"?
More or less. Academics, appropriateness for his desired major/career, cost, overall quality are the important factors. Skiing is a lot less important. Tie breaker maybe
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
neither of my 2 boys skied for than a few times while in college. they were interested in academics and other activities. they have slowly resumed interest in skiing since leaving college. i think that parents are often projecting their ski enthusiasm upon their kids college plans. the soccer analogy might be appropriate to explain this. lots of kids play soccer from age 5 through high school, including travel. then they quit soccer and don't miss it a bit.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Brownski wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
More or less.
Man, I would have rebelled real hard against that shit.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by frk
frk wrote
neither of my 2 boys skied for than a few times while in college. they were interested in academics and other activities. they have slowly resumed interest in skiing since leaving college. i think that parents are often projecting their ski enthusiasm upon their kids college plans. the soccer analogy might be appropriate to explain this. lots of kids play soccer from age 5 through high school, including travel. then they quit soccer and don't miss it a bit.
But at the same time, considering whether or not skiing is an option can be a factor when looking at colleges.  One of the factors for having two of the UNC colleges on her college list is that they are in the NC mountains.  Not exactly a hot bed for skiing, but far more likely to find friends who ski than at the campuses in central NC or closer to the beach.  That's her thinking, not mine.

In our case, we would pay in-state tuition in NC.  She also looked UVM for assorted reasons.  Fair to say that the access to VT skiing was a plus in that case.

Have read more than one thread on other ski forums in the last decade by a high school student from the east asking about college options that include easy access to big mountain skiing out west.  Not talking about aspiring elite racers.  Just young men who want to ski more while attending college.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Brownski wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
More or less.
Man, I would have rebelled real hard against that shit.
Guess you’re lucky I’m not your dad
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
What's the penalty for him going to a school close to skiing?

Are you gonna withhold college money you would have otherwise given him? Kick him out of the house?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
MC2 5678F589 wrote

Are you gonna withhold college money you would have otherwise given him? Kick him out of the house?
Silly question. Won’t come to that. I’ve raised a pretty smart kid already so he will see the wisdom of my guidance
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Utica may be out! No excuse for shitty pizza
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Probably a kid smart enough to pick UVM for a preferred major (that he'll choose and switch out of if he wants to), academic reputation (which will be good in that major) and cost (after he establishes state residency) and just say "The skiing is just a bonus!"

I'm starting to think your ultimatum is pretty toothless and you wouldn't really stand in the way of your kid's final decision (which is good parenting).
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
MC2 5678F589 wrote

I have to agree with Matt. If there are no financial issues he should set his own criteria for a school - part of growing up and it’s got to be his life decision. He may choose a school because it is close to skiing but if he is smart he won’t choose a school that doesn’t have his major of interest. Having skiing as an option, having a nice town as an option - diversions are important to prevent burnout.

IMHO The colleges in Burlington probably have the best of all worlds in the east and there are lots of options in the Rockies. Let skiing be an important criteria-it didn’t seem to hurt SnoLoco in his decision making. If he doesn’t have good time management skills or has poor discipline/judgement he will likely crash and burn anywhere he goes. I’m sure that’s not the case here so let him choose how he wants to make his decision.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Probably a kid smart enough to pick UVM for a preferred major (that he'll choose and switch out of if he wants to), academic reputation (which will be good in that major) and cost (after he establishes state residency)
As I understand it you must be a resident of Vermont for 1 full year before attending a Vermont college to be considered a resident for tuition purposes. This means you can’t get a tuition break after you reach 18 unless you take a year off to establish residency. That’s my understanding and seem to be supported by this

http://www.uvm.edu/policies/student/resregs.pdf
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
1 ... 25262728293031 ... 37