734 messages Options
1 ... 27282930313233 ... 37
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Colleges for Skiing?

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Well major is def the first thing to consider.

What about New Paltz?

I'd definitely get to know Buffalo a little bit before deciding there.  It's not for everyone.  I don't particularly love Buffalo either.  In a toss-up though between Utica and Buffalo, I'd probably pick Buffalo.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
You love "Not" jokes? Are you Borat?
That’s pretty funny too.

Regarding FX Matt, I disagree. Even apart from the quality of the beer, the place ought to be holy ground for American beer lovers. Utica Club was the first beer brewed after prohibition and I’m pretty sure still owned by the same family that started the place pre-1900. Show some respect
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
plus this
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
MC2 5678F589 wrote
You love "Not" jokes? Are you Borat?
Being the village idiot, MC, you clearly have no idea what it’s like to deal with the village idiot!  Yes, I should’ve remembered that Brownski (heck....the whole rest of the forum), unlike you, has a sense of humor.  Unfortunately, we are all so conditioned to dumb things down for you!

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
 same family that started the place pre-1900. Show some respect
My dad used to give me sips of "Matt's Beer" when I was a kid. I know the history.

But being around for a while is no license to suck in the present day.

You old people need to reconfigure your ideas about what is good. Good companies deliver quality products forever. They don't rest on their laurels and coast on their names.

Have higher standards, you sad sacks.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
, has a sense of humor.  
It was a joke, you sorry excuse for a forum poster.

Hilarious that you can't take a joke, and accuse other people of having no sense of humor.

You guys need to up your posting games. This is getting real dumb.

(And by "getting real dumb", I mean: "It's been dumb for a long time, but you guys are making it worse")
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
I know a joke about a guy who can't take a joke.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Brownski
If if wants ME Clarkson is very good and if he has good grades & SAT scores they will give him enough money to get close to SUNY costs. Binghamton has a good rep but the facilities are so so, don’t know much about UB or the others. Of course Cornell is the best we have in NY.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
PeeTex wrote
If if wants ME Clarkson is very good and if he has good grades & SAT scores they will give him enough money to get close to SUNY costs. Binghamton has a good rep but the facilities are so so, don’t know much about UB or the others. Of course Cornell is the best we have in NY.
Thanks man. We’re looking at some of them. Honestly, Binghamton might be a long shot admissions wise but we’re still looking. Clarkson might get a visit. He’s just a junior so there’s still a lot of work to do. He’s visiting Manhattan College next. That’s a good candidate if we decide that staying close to home is the right way to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
If if wants ME Clarkson is very good and if he has good grades & SAT scores they will give him enough money to get close to SUNY costs. Binghamton has a good rep but the facilities are so so, don’t know much about UB or the others. Of course Cornell is the most expensive we have in NY.
FIFY

Broski - if you are looking at affordable private schools as well, here's another suggestion that I'm not hearing.  Rochester Institute of Technology.  It may not seem any more affordable than the others i.e. Clarkson, RPI, etc, but here's the difference:  they make you work to graduate.  Yeah, you have to work a full year to get your BS.  This does two things:  it gives the kid some money to pay his own tuition and more often than not, lands him a job right out of school.

IMO Rochester is significantly better than Buffalo, Utica or BInghamton.  I can't compare it to Albany because I've only ever driven around Albany.

The first two years at RIT will be expensive but you'll get the same amount of aid as Clarkson, if not more but after that you can expect to make 30-40k for that year of coop work, which if put towards tuition is significant (for a state school that'd be the whole shebang!).

The skiing ain't the best, but there's skiing within an hour.  Bristol has 100% snowmaking and they aren't afraid to use it, so it's reliable.  And they have cheap night skiing.

There's a great biking culture in the area, so I'd suggest investing in a bike around here.  There's a ton to ride within an hour (see my videos).  There's less PITA snow than Buffalo - which is one of the worst things about Buffalo.  There's far more night lift, culture, cuisine than Utica (and of course Potsdam and Binghamton).  There's a ton of colleges in town with tons of girls (Nazareth, St. John Fisher, Brockport, Geneseo have a lot of girlies - teaching schools).  There's two small collegetowns at University of Rochester and RIT (both within a couple miles of each other).  There's quite a few breweries in the area that make very good beer.  One good one in the city is called Rohrbachs, you've probably never had it because they don't pasteurize their beer so it needs to stay refrigerated and local.

If you want more info on the good, the bad and the ugly of this area, ping me, I'm glad to share.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
My friend's kid grad from RIT with a mechie deg, he landed a great job with Toyota..
Good school , not may girls or educationally diverse..

Buff has a great Civil Eng program...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
JasonWx wrote
My friend's kid grad from RIT with a mechie deg, he landed a great job with Toyota..
Good school , not may girls or educationally diverse..

Buff has a great Civil Eng program...
Yeah, RIT has very few women and terrible liberal arts - it's a tech school.  But, as I said, there's many other colleges and universities in the area that have the opposite ratio.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
Cunningstunts wrote
Broski - if you are looking at affordable private schools as well, here's another suggestion that I'm not hearing.  Rochester Institute of Technology..
This is good advice. I don't remember if I even applied there, but they offered me a shitload of money to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Clarkson.   Best placement.  Great partnership environment unlike the ivies.    End of discussion unless you want to pay more for less
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Cunningstunts wrote
Broski - if you are looking at affordable private schools as well, here's another suggestion that I'm not hearing.  Rochester Institute of Technology..
This is good advice. I don't remember if I even applied there, but they offered me a shitload of money to go.
Thanks
I’m pretty sure RIT is on the list. I have a ton of driving ahead of me
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
Cunningstunts wrote
PeeTex wrote
If if wants ME Clarkson is very good and if he has good grades & SAT scores they will give him enough money to get close to SUNY costs. Binghamton has a good rep but the facilities are so so, don’t know much about UB or the others. Of course Cornell is the most expensive we have in NY.
FIFY

Broski - if you are looking at affordable private schools as well, here's another suggestion that I'm not hearing.  Rochester Institute of Technology.  It may not seem any more affordable than the others i.e. Clarkson, RPI, etc, but here's the difference:  they make you work to graduate.  Yeah, you have to work a full year to get your BS.  This does two things:  it gives the kid some money to pay his own tuition and more often than not, lands him a job right out of school.

IMO Rochester is significantly better than Buffalo, Utica or BInghamton.  I can't compare it to Albany because I've only ever driven around Albany.

The first two years at RIT will be expensive but you'll get the same amount of aid as Clarkson, if not more but after that you can expect to make 30-40k for that year of coop work, which if put towards tuition is significant (for a state school that'd be the whole shebang!).

The skiing ain't the best, but there's skiing within an hour.  Bristol has 100% snowmaking and they aren't afraid to use it, so it's reliable.  And they have cheap night skiing.

There's a great biking culture in the area, so I'd suggest investing in a bike around here.  There's a ton to ride within an hour (see my videos).  There's less PITA snow than Buffalo - which is one of the worst things about Buffalo.  There's far more night lift, culture, cuisine than Utica (and of course Potsdam and Binghamton).  There's a ton of colleges in town with tons of girls (Nazareth, St. John Fisher, Brockport, Geneseo have a lot of girlies - teaching schools).  There's two small collegetowns at University of Rochester and RIT (both within a couple miles of each other).  There's quite a few breweries in the area that make very good beer.  One good one in the city is called Rohrbachs, you've probably never had it because they don't pasteurize their beer so it needs to stay refrigerated and local.

If you want more info on the good, the bad and the ugly of this area, ping me, I'm glad to share.
I travel to Rochester quite often to see one of my customers.  To me it’s a much nicer city than all the ski others mentioned.  Lots of small to medium tech companies have crawled from the ashes of Kodak’s demise.  Things are much better than they were 10-15 years ago.  Good food and beer scene.  
Skiing at Bristol actually quite good.  It’s about 3 times the size of West and around 1000 Vert.  A bit flat on top then a nice sustained pitch and a couple HSQs

Binghamton is depressing to me - still in rust belt mode.  Utica is worse.  Totally not a fan of Matt beers.

My son had to put a list together recently of where he is interested in.  Clarkson is 1, other top 5 are umass, uconn, uvm, st mikes
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Z
Do I recall correctly that little Z is interested in engineering also or am I thinking of Sno?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Hoser
Hoser wrote
Clarkson.   Best placement.  Great partnership environment unlike the ivies.    End of discussion unless you want to pay more for less
Gonna give these guys another look. We’re spring-loaded to favor the SUNY schools but obviously the list is still pretty long. It would be nice if comparing costs was a little easier of course.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Z
Yeah, the city is pretty busy actually, especially on a weekend.  Tons of bars and restaurants downtown, lots of new hipster businesses which actually are good - focusing on local stuff.

There's actually museums if you are into that sort of thing.  Quite a few parks in the city area which are quite nice - most have been maintained and managed well.  The new stadium is really nice but mostly focuses on soccer and baseball, so if you into that, it's cool.  There are bike trails that traverse the city north-south and east-west that you can use to commute or just for leisure.  You can connect almost anywhere with little scary road riding.  The trails are easily accessible from RIT, although not well advertised.

If you head a little south of the city, the area gets quite hilly and that's where some of the best hiking, skiing and biking are.  Again, not well advertised but easy to figure out if you are willing to look a little.

Cost of living is pretty low.  Housing is cheap - I live near RIT and you can buy a house for less than $100k that's pretty nice.  A few college kids live next door to me and their Dad bought them the house to live in during their studies.  They have been fixing it up and assume they will flip it for a profit when they graduate.

We have a really good supermarket chain in the area called Wegmans.  It has branched out from this area but is significantly better IMO than Tops, Hannaford, etc IMO.

Bristol is about 45min from RIT campus and as Z said, is not bad skiing.  What they lack is trees but they do have good vert, decent acreage, and decent pitch.  Also they make snow... a lot.  Coverage is always good.

Swain is about an hour away.  It has less vert, older lifts and is generally a smaller place.  I think it's still cheaper than Bristol.  Pitch is decent, similar to Bristol.

Holiday Valley is about 2 hrs.  Lots to do in that area.  Longest trail network in western NY for biking in the surrounding forests.  Ski resort is OK - little bit more expansive than Bristol but not near as tall.

Greek Peak is about 2hrs as well.  Camper can tell you all about that one.

Snow Ridge and McCauley are about 3 hours away.  Doable as a day trip but better as overnight.  Worth the trip if there is a big dump.

Lotsa music, concerts, etc in the area too.  The city used to put on free concerts (that were actually good), but I don't know if they continued that - I'm too bogged down with kids now.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I have good things about RIT. For engineering - a good coop program is very helpful although some programs will add a year to graduation. I am not a fan of RPI, they are way too full of themselves. I think they can give a kid a good engineering education but the cost is high. I will say that Troy is looking infinitely better than it did a decade ago and the Troy Savings Bank is acoustically still one of the best music venues in the country.

St Mike’s was mentioned- they don’t have an engineering program, as I understand it they run you through the engineering program at UVM but you get a double major in something St Mike’s offers.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
1 ... 27282930313233 ... 37