classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1254 messages Options
1 ... 54555657585960 ... 63
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coronavirus

JTG4eva!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
My question is, for those who complain about wearing mask and/or don't, what happens when they get covid19? Is it "Oops, my bad." or do they blame someone else or what? Statistically, they are out there. I just don't know any. Yet.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'd say it's on them. Everyone knows the risks being taken by not wearing one, even the Amish.

When I can't distance I wear one. I'm enjoying going out for dinner and drinks again. We'll only sit outside. From what I've noticed the majority are distancing properly, those who aren't are scary to watch.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
. From what I've noticed the majority are distancing properly, those who aren't are scary to watch.
I went to an outdoor bar Monday night and yeah, you are exactly right about some people being extremely scary to watch.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I got my nose swabbed around 10 this morning, as part of a study at Cornell.  My nasal passages are still irritated.  It feels like after you have been weed whacking and are blowing out big chunks of plant bits out of your nose, 7 hours later.  This alone is enough to underline the fact that COVID is no joke.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
WP how long does it take to get your result?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I will receive a call from the county health department if I'm positive.  Otherwise, I can check on my portal at the hospital.  I don't expect receiving a call. I am SO isolated, except for buying strawberries on Tuesday from a remote produce stand where the guy didn't wear a mask.  I had a mask on, and from everything I have read, you can't get covid from food.  

Cornell is doing test runs to see if and how they can do mass testing if they need to.  They were hoping to get 700 people today.  It's a pretty simple process.  I just wouldn't recommend it.  Wear your mask and stay safe, instead.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Testing their testing procedures....to prepare for a wave of CV when traditional flu season starts?
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by wonderpony
I've seen some scary pictures  video of people not socially distancing in NYC.  Don't think I'll be visiting for awhile.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I think that they are testing the testing :P to see if opening campus is actually viable.  I don't see how they can bring back undergrads, at least not the freshman and sophomores.  They live in dorms.  They eat in dining halls.  Social distancing is sketchy at best in those areas.  My guess is that they open the campus for research and keep classes online.  

I, for one, will be quite happy not to have an oversized Qtip stuck up my nose ever again.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
wonderpony wrote
I, for one, will be quite happy not to have an oversized Qtip stuck up my nose ever again.
I had the test more than three months ago and gag just thinking about it. In case you missed this article:
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/getting-a-coronavirus-test-like-being-stabbed-in-the-brain.html
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I don't think the test itself was so bad. I am getting tired of the feeling of uberboogers draining out of my sinuses.

WP
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
I get tested weekly. Here’s a tip. Get tested early in morning when workers are fresh. Last test of the day is rough when they’re tired. There’s no finesse left at that point. Remember, it the swab isn’t boring a hole you’re wasting your time. I consulted with several virologists and pharmacists before getting tested.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
frk wrote
 Remember, if the swab isn’t boring a hole you’re wasting your time.
In that case, I guess my technician did a good job.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
My mom told me it tickled her eyeball  
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
https://www.newsweek.com/multiple-florida-hospitals-run-out-icu-beds-coronavirus-cases-spike-1511934?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1592503654

Now, before somebody jumps down my throat regarding whatever hot take they choose to assume I have....I’ve got no agenda here about who or what should or shouldn’t be opening and when.  Rather, I’m just following the data associated with recent spikes and trying to discern what, if anything, it means about the current spread of the virus.

As the article states, Florida officials attributed recent spikes to increases in testing, implying the virus isn’t spreading more and they are just identifying more (mostly mild and asymptomatic) cases already out there.  However, as the article also states, increases in hospitalizations seem to tell another story, perhaps?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JTG4eva! wrote
, before somebody jumps down my throat regarding whatever hot take they choose to assume I have....I’ve got no agenda here
Haha. Sensitive, much?
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote

As the article states, Florida officials attributed recent spikes to increases in testing, implying the virus isn’t spreading more and they are just identifying more (mostly mild and asymptomatic) cases already out there. 
If you're wondering about the truth of the talking point of there being more cases because they're testing more. Take a look at this chart that follows the percentage of positive tests.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/florida
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'd think the hospital admissions, ICU usage and death numbers would be independent of the volume of testing.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Harvey wrote
I'd think the hospital admissions, ICU usage and death numbers would be independent of the volume of testing.
Right....regardless of testing, if those things are rising it seems to be a good indication that things are actually getting worse, as opposed to simply identifying more existing cases through testing, which may not tell you much.  Also, the increase in the positivity line in the graph trackbiker linked seems to coincide with reopening.

So duh, as states and counties reopen and more people get out....more people will get sick.  It is to be expected.  Data like this may not indicate that the brakes should be put on reopening efforts....but it is useful data to highlight that greater risk still exists than a lot of people might think.  IMHO people still need to exercise some caution as things reopen.....and that doesn’t seem to be happening in a lot of places.
1 ... 54555657585960 ... 63