Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coronavirus

JasonWx
JTG4eva! wrote
JasonWx wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I can't wait to go out to dinner. Craving veal parm and old fashions at the Green Arch.
i cook restaurant quality food at home..i'm really tired of cleaning up and shopping though..
My wife and I have a good chef/sous chef thing going, and she cleans up the mess I make.  Having more time to cook is nice, something I couldn’t really do after a 14 hour day of commuting and working.

Corona-crisis bring out anything new or interesting?

During this crisis I’ve made both macadamia crusted scallops with a citrus beurre blanc and butter poached lobster tails for the first time.  I hadn’t made cavatelli and broccoli in ages, but that will be a regular from now on.  Chicken Vesuvius (that’s what he called chicken with mushrooms and cherry peppers in a butter, garlic, rosemary and white wine sauce in the restaurant I worked in back in the day) is one of my and the boys favorites that I hadn’t made that very often pre-crisis.

My daughter has gotten into baking.  Lately she’s made her own marzipan, as well as making a Hvit Dame (traditional Norwegian Princess cake).
I have gotten into bread making..I have a sour dough starter going . Experimenting with Korean and Thai food and Sushi too..
Ditched my pizza stone for a pizza steel...which has me making my own pizza dough and pizza..

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by wonderpony
wonderpony wrote
PS. MC, it's been two months, just for perspective. Toilet paper is no longer an issue. Camp is going back to work.  NYS has a plan to reopen. And, it is still snowing.
Oh shit, well if camp is going back to work, the economy is saved

Maybe we should ask camp how many of the people he works with are coming back with him.

I don't know if you guys are insulated from this or what, but people aren't spending money:

You can't keep an economy afloat if everyone is hunkered down & afraid to get sick (or trying to decide whether to reopen their businesses, knowing that they'll make 50% of what they used to make).

Acting as if we're just going to flip a switch and be "back to normal" is dumb. People need more money in their pockets. They're scared for the future. The signs of that are everywhere. How fucking isolated are you people?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I feel isolated.  JT's food is making me hungry too.

Lucky you on the TP WP.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
FIFY MeCentric!
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Oh shit, well if MeCentric is living a basically normal life, society is saved

Maybe we should ask MeCentric how many other people are living a basically normal life with him.

I don't know if you guys are insulated from this or what, but people aren't living a basically normal life:

Acting as if we're just going to flip a switch and be "back to basically normal" is dumb. How fucking isolated are you?
BTW....I bought Bounty paper towels last week.  Screw TP, I got Bounty....fricken....paper towels!!!!

Don’t worry WP, we hear ya.  If MrContrarian was looking to more than just argue for argument’s sake he’d realize you are pointing out that, just like him being able to “live a basically normal life” is an early indication of our society moving back toward some sense of normalcy, so is camp’s getting back to work.

Signs, signs, everywhere a sign!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
People who are reticent abour discretionery spending quickly differentiate NEEDS from Wants .

Remember its is always easier to move people from  Fear ( virus ) to Safety ( Pause ) ......than it is after 11 weeks  to get smart people to move from Safety back to Fear ( unintended consequences from asymtomatic spread , ineffective or inadequete testing ( ****the confidence bands and error margins of most tests are simly NOT there yet )  

I******* was in a  hospital system conference LAST nite with our TOP regional docs and the efficacy and clinical value of most tests are  NOT predictive and or evaluative with ANY strong degree of confidence ..... Simply isolated points in times with the high probabaility of too many FALSE negatives and /or  FALSE Positives .

So not much value added yet OTHER than looking at spread rates on a UNIVERSAL rather than soecific level,

Bottom Line : PAUSE  , meanin social distance especially in high density situations , WASH ur hands frequently , sanitize the  shit out of surfaces and contact point. NNY met all standards BUT the degree of testing and it is BECAUSE of what was cited above about weak clinical efiicacy of testing .

So this is going tombe a SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW  incremental re opening
P
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Here is what I know. Our local farmers market opens on Saturday. Normal is back! The car accidents will be incredible. Better line up some BBQ takeout as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Very strange that people are unable to differentiate between these two statements:

1. "I personally feel like things are regaining a sense of normalcy for me, as I am able to do almost all of the things I was able to do before"

and

2. "Society as a whole is in for a tremendous amount of economic difficulty because people aren't spending money and consumer spending is what drives the economy"

Warp is right that people have a tough time distinguishing between needs & wants, but that's not the problem here. The problem is that people who want things are going to delay purchases and the people that need things won't have enough money to pay for those things.

For me, I never did a lot of eating out, or buying cheap Chinese plastic, or going to the gym, or going to the movies anyway. I always tried to make sure I spent less than I made. So a crisis that affects people who do all the things I don't do is going to affect those people differently (again, I'm not sure why I have to explain that).

Lucky for the sacred "economy", most people aren't like me.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
People who are reticent abour discretionery spending quickly differentiate NEEDS from Wants .
Agreed.  We’ve spent less money during this ‘lockdown’, and that will continue after.  We, like a lot of people probably, have been given an opportunity to what our lives are like without some of the discretionary spending we’ve had in the past.  We like it, and will (likely) continue to spend less money.  Isn’t that a good thing?  I mean...I’m sure I can dig up a dozen posts where MC decries unnecessary spending and a failure to save......but now he’s implying that unnecessary discretionary spending is a good thing because.....The Economy?
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Lunch is at Jason's house!  I haven't had sushi in ages!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
 I mean...I’m sure I can dig up a dozen posts where MC decries unnecessary spending and a failure to save......but now he’s implying that unnecessary discretionary spending is a good thing because.....The Economy?
I think I have been clear from the beginning on that. Less spending on frivolous bullshit is great! (Even if it does lead to smaller profits for the makers of cheap Chinese plastic & refined oil). It's a really good  way to get to badass utopia:

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/07/16/a-badass-utopia/

That doesn't mean that people aren't gonna struggle in the transition as industries shrivel up and die. And if you add a global pandemic to that (where lots of people are hunkering down so customers & buyers just aren't there), then it's a recipe for disaster, particularly for lower income people.

The difference between you guys and me is that I think the government should people help in that transition, whereas you guys think we should just "open up the economy" so we can yell "get a job" at them.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
The economy needs to open.  There are going to be flare ups, primary cause, people not following the guidelines.  Do your part, wear a mask and just deal with it. Its all we can do.

People working from home will work in short bursts but not forever...I'm sure if your working from home you know what I mean.

Businesses are going to fail.  We will not go to places we don't feel safe.... That's a lot of places I went last summer.  

Its up to the scientist to their jobs, that will determine how bad things get.  I really am waiting to see how the Georgia experiment goes. If its going to happen it should start popping up soon.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I read one article that said 3 weeks after localities reopen will be the key time if we are going to see a related spike.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by wonderpony
wonderpony wrote
Lunch is at Jason's house!  I haven't had sushi in ages!
I concur! Except I'm no sushi fan, but!!!! That friggin pizza looks bangin!!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
The pizza was good..Sushi is my jam but it's not for everyone..

my wife wants to go to the farmers market in Ithaca ..There is a pizza guy there that makes incredible stuff..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
What I wouldn’t give for some Hamachi Carpaccio or a Cape Cod Monster from Bluefins in Chatham.  My wife and I were talking this morning about maybe spending a couple of weeks up there once restrictions are loosened and we are still working from home.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Going to the cape the next Friday morning..
Will do some fried takeout
hopefully fish the canal and do some MTB..

I need to try Bluefins , it looks great
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Is it time to start traveling?

Man... I want to go.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I have a house to go to ..will be cooking and staying away from people.. take out is a possibility , maybe
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Is it time to start traveling?

Man... I want to go.
I think it will be a while before we are willing to hop on a plane or stay in a hotel.  However, as counties and states begin opening back up, driving to a second home while maintaining social distance (6 feet, masks in public, and the like) seems reasonable.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I wasn't going to go anywhere until Jump Turn Guy said it was okay, so I'm glad he's on board.
1 ... 51525354555657 ... 63