1 ... 10111213141516 ... 63
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coronavirus

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I got a cryptic message from Ron Kon through Facebook it seems like there is a search and rescue going on on mount Marcy right now to rescue some lost hikers I'm not sure that's totally accurate, but come on.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Read some interesting analysis- this has a slight taste of conspiracy theory but still sounds quite reasonable and well researched. The theory is that there is only a slight chance this virus did not occur naturally, that it was either engineered ( which the scientist in Wuhan know how to do as they published such work 2 years ago ) or it was bred and selected in animals, most likely ferrets which have the same receptors as humans and there have been studies to support that as well. The likely reason to do this is to make vaccines for other viruses which the labs in Wuhan have been doing. In addition, there have been two previous leaks of viruses from the labs in China but these were contained.

I don’t know if this is the case but given how quickly it spreads, how robust it is and that there were no earlier versions that were not as viral when making the leap from animal to human which is normally the case makes a natural mutation improbable. Certainly the Chinese would not want that to be known if it were true and they fund a lot of research and can influence the analysis of the origin.

Time will tell. It’s just a theory.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I got a cryptic message from Ron Kon through Facebook it seems like there is a search and rescue going on on mount Marcy right now to rescue some lost hikers I'm not sure that's totally accurate, but come on.
Wow. Idiots (the hikers, not the SAR). Just for fun this winter, I joined the "British Backcountry" Facebook group. Lots of cool pics and stories of folks skiing in the Scottish Highlands and such. Anyhoo, they are about two weeks behind and just starting to have the "should I stay home or should I ski" discussion. Lots of opinions on either side. The Brits are just waking up and are starting to lock things down.

Scottish Mountain Rescue posted this today:

Scottish Mountain Rescue wrote
Scottish Mountain Rescue
3 hrs

Stay Local, Stay Safe

We are continuing to see rescues this weekend and significant activity on the hills in some areas.

We do not have PPE within teams for COVID19, quite rightly the NHS staff and others must be prioritised.

This is putting many team members in a genuine dilemma.

They are all volunteers. Should they do what they always do and respond putting loved ones at home at greater risk? Many team members will have people they live with who are classified as vulnerable, is it fair to take that risk? Many members of teams are self employed and already facing hardship.

Our NHS services in the mountain regions are already stretched, don’t add to their load.

The mountains will be there next year and the year after, lets make sure we all are.

We will leave you with the statement from the finance minister and MSP for Skye, Lochaber and Badenoch Kate Forbes and ask again

Stay Local, Stay Safe.
In other news, here is great and sensible article and some fact and fiction related to COVID19 and staying safe:

Should you let people pet your dog? Should you wear a mask in public? (And other coronavirus questions)

And finally, an encouraging message from Hinterlandia's favourite astronaut, Col.Chris Hadfield:

Stay safe and well, friends.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Here is an interesting perspective from an American in Europe:

What It Was Like in Europe as the Coronavirus Spread
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Read some interesting analysis- this has a slight taste of conspiracy theory but still sounds quite reasonable and well researched. The theory is that there is only a slight chance this virus did not occur naturally, that it was either engineered ( which the scientist in Wuhan know how to do as they published such work 2 years ago ) or it was bred and selected in animals, most likely ferrets which have the same receptors as humans and there have been studies to support that as well. The likely reason to do this is to make vaccines for other viruses which the labs in Wuhan have been doing. In addition, there have been two previous leaks of viruses from the labs in China but these were contained.

I don’t know if this is the case but given how quickly it spreads, how robust it is and that there were no earlier versions that were not as viral when making the leap from animal to human which is normally the case makes a natural mutation improbable. Certainly the Chinese would not want that to be known if it were true and they fund a lot of research and can influence the analysis of the origin.

Time will tell. It’s just a theory.
I wasn’t  going to post here anymore but your post is egregiously irresponsible and subversively political and needs to be called out.

Your claim that this is improbable to be found in nature is just patently false. Similar viruses have been found in Chinese Horseshoe bats. This virus could have existed for a long time. There  are many reasons why not only is sudden spillover to humans likely, but also reasons this virus could have naturally adapted to be difficult for human immune systems to deal with specifically BECAUSE of the unique nature of bats immune systems.

You’re spreading xenophobic political garbage with absolutely no foundation. Fucking educate yourself.  I thought the politicrap was supposed to be off limits.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Hey dick head is back. Welcome back
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
tjf1967 wrote
Hey dick head is back. Welcome back
Do you revel in ignorance as well?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Here is what he sent me... what do you think he is saying:

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The name calling isn't helpful.

Stick to facts, and we'll get through it. If Congress can pass a $2 trillion bill in under a week, we can probably be kind.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Looks to me like there’s a search happening on Marcy. I think we’ll have to wait for more details. No point in speculating right?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Alert! Alert!
There is a Dirty Jobs marathon happening on the Discovery Channel right now!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Yeah, that’s pretty good
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I think it's a horrible idea to issue 2 trillion in debt.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
No question it is dangerous.  We have spent trillions on stupider things.

I was really saying, the two sides actually agreed on something bigger than "thoughts and prayers."
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Why?

Isn't it time that we can all agree that money is fake?

Like, we are just creating a bunch of new money to deal with this crisis. It will circulate through and everything, but let's not act like we can't just do that whenever we want.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Well to placate little Willy, here is a video from a professor of Neurobiology at the University of Pittsburgh Medical School. Note that he does make a political statement at the end which I don’t agree with but still his theory is well researched:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LlplnH3VYyc

He references a blog which can be found here: https://harvardtothebighouse.com/2020/01/31/logistical-and-technical-analysis-of-the-origins-of-the-wuhan-coronavirus-2019-ncov/

As I said- it might all be conspiracy theory BS but it’s worth a look. These are smart guys. Little Willy-not so much.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
I am very nervous about that as well. It is usually global events (like world wars) that effective cause a redistribution of wealth. This could also be such an event.
Reply | Threaded
|

Little Wing
Not likely that corona virus was human engineered.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-not-human-made-in-lab.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
PeeTex wrote
tjf1967 wrote
I am very nervous about that as well. It is usually global events (like world wars) that effective cause a redistribution of wealth. This could also be such an event.
I’m certainly concerned. It’s probably impossible to go deeper without getting overtly political.
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 63