1254 messages Options
1 ... 12131415161718 ... 63
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coronavirus

Harvey
Administrator
Right now politicians are being "rewarded" for shutting things down. Those that are doing so, are gaining popularity.

But at some point new cases will drop, at least in countries that are taking draconian measures. When that happens the pressure will grow to open things up. IMO it's likely to be too soon and things could blow back up.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Ha!!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I agree with the points made in that article. We need to concentrate on the backbone of the USA, small businesses owners. I/we need a viable place to go back to work at. Until then we will survive.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Agreed, plus the government has no money so it will print or borrow (from China?).  There's nothing to open to spend money on anyway.  Wonder if people will make some notes from this crisis and start a rainy day fund.  Nah, never gonna happen.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
I don't understand the pming.

Nothing wrong with Billy... But he was kind of Dickie.  Are we supposed to bow to him as the all knowing guru on... Everything Just because he can regurgitate what he reads on Google.  He wants to put his knowingly one sided opinions out and calls foul when he gets called.

Your company. Very sad. You put 30 years into building something that could be gone is a moment over a disease that should change our habits but not our lives. It's my opinion we are doing more harm than good. Wealth of many are being desimated.  If level heads don't prevail the mess that is left will do many times more damage than the virus itself.  Our government can't protect us by shuttering every small business. The weak ones will fail on their own because smart people won't put themselves in danger patronizing them.  I'm not a word smith, I do read everything and that in my opinion.
Well said. I am not sure what the right thing to do is but I share your fear that we may be overreacting on this- the cure may be worse then the disease.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Brownski wrote
the cure may be worse then the disease.
Objectively this is a fact. Unless someone you love dies unnecessarily.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by onscott
onscott wrote
Wonder if people will make some notes from this crisis and start a rainy day fund.  Nah, never gonna happen.
I hope some truly listen to what you're saying. I took notice when shit hit the fan in 2008. Those were some real tough times for me personally. I vowed never again. It's amazing what we can live without when one puts their mind to it.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Just because something wasn't moved out of OT doesn't mean it shouldn't have been, it merely means that I missed it.

Billy is gone. Several others who said to me by PM that they are done, because of the interactions of two.

I really don't want to kill the OT or this thread.

This small website is something that means a lot to me. I don't want it to be a place that is seen as a focal point for divisiveness.

I spent the day yesterday making the tough decisions about our company, and tomorrow is going to be a very sad day for us.  The decisions I make here, right or wrong, pale in importance.
Watching the slow motion trainwreck of a person’s flameout of a forum is always a bit awkward, and I’m sure moreso for you Harv.

But Billy actually liked and wanted to discuss politics, unlike some people who seem to want a total shutdown of anything “political”. He was getting bullied. That’s what he didn’t like. The personal, not the political.

I’m in agreement that discussion of a pandemic or economic collapse without a discussion of the politics surrounding them is like trying to discuss the influence of Led Zeppelin (just trying to be relatable here, bear with me) without being allowed to discuss the Blues or Heavy Metal. It just lacks context.

I gripe but generally respect the way you handle this corner of the Internet Harv. Really sorry for you and your business.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I think in the last week I've watched more news than I have in the past year.

Something that was brought up were those of you who live in major metro areas could be having a tough time of it. Apparently some are having issues by not being around people, makes sense because in NYC you can't get away from people. I can imagine that it could be pretty shocking for some.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I think supporting local small businesses is key. I just sent $575 to my CSA (community supported agriculture) for my spring and summer shares. Hopefully, things will have chilled out by mid-May when the shares start. They are looking into dropping boxes off at home, rather than having us pick them up at the farm, which is a bummer because I love going into the shed to get my share. It smells SO GOOD! But, if having them drop stuff off means that they can stay open, I'll take it.

I sent a $50 donation to my acupuncturists. They are a husband and wife team, with two kids, and their office is their only income. I have/had cold weather induced asthma. Five or six years ago, I couldn't go outside in temperatures below 20 without using my inhaler. I couldn't run outside if it was below 45 because I would start wheezing.  Yesterday, ran around my "block", which is 2.2 miles of hills, in 25 degrees and was just fine. I can't thank them enough for that.

My yoga studio is offering online classes, and I am paying to take them.  

My hope is that all these small businesses will be open again when things chill out. No, I'm not rich. But they are important to me. And, because of my CSA, I have a chest freezer full of food.  So, I probably won't have to eat the squirrels my son shot to give to his friend's grandmother!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I have been supporting my local hardware store, he is Benjamin Moore dealer.. I have nothing to do but paint,I call in what I need and pay over the phone and they leave  by the back door. I will also do take out this week from my fav in town restaurants..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
One thing they said on the news, if true, is very bothersome. Apparently some manufacturers of protective equipment are selling to other countries as they are the highest bidder. IMO the Feds need to step in and put a stop to this ASAP. American greed should not kill Americans.
Sometimes money really sucks.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Same here. Sheetrock, screws, tape, etc etc

Got takeout from our favorite Italian place Saturday. Plus some old fashions because nobody on the planet does it better than they do....got 4 of them...lol

Tonight is pizza and wings night 👍
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Calling MC!  Calling MC!!  Quick, get him!  GET HIM!!!!!

***snicker, snicker***he said ‘fashions’***snicker, snicker***

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Sorry Camp, figured I’d steal his ‘thunder’....

What makes theirs so good, in your opinion?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
Oh, and learn how to spell!!

As for Italian places making good drinks....Carmine’s twist on a twist of a classic, their Sicilian Mule, is a good one.  A Sicilian Mule typically adds Averna to the classic Vodka cocktail.  Carmine’s uses Woodford, making theirs an Italian variant of a Kentucky Mule.

But that’s off topic I ‘spose.  Sorry.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
JT, aren't you in construction? We're exempt. Our entire office has been set up to work from home though. I have to he here though. Nice and quiet.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Sorry Camp, figured I’d steal his ‘thunder’....

What makes theirs so good, in your opinion?
LOL

They use cheap whiskey (chimes) orange slices, cherry, and a chunk of pineapple. They make their own grenadine and won't tell anyone what they do. I've known the owner since we were both in the same kindergarten class and I can't get it out of him. I think that's the difference.
1 ... 12131415161718 ... 63