classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1254 messages Options
1 ... 13141516171819 ... 63
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coronavirus

JTG4eva!
My company is an A/E firm that deals mostly with infrastructure projects.  We’ve gotten more into design build projects the last few years, but most often we do the design and then our clients bid the construction to someone else.  There’s a lot less risk on the design end, so I’m not sure design build is the best thing for us.

I half expected my company (because all large corporations, and the pencil pushers that work for ‘em, are pieces of shit, just let MC tell ya! ) to attach to being in ‘infrastructure’, thereby trying to keep offices open.  After all, I was expected to be in the office on 9/12.  However, they didn’t.  All NY offices are closed.

Fortunately I can do my pencil pushing from home.  With audit and overhead season upon us (Deloitte was supposed to be in to start our audit next week) I need to see what State DOTs and other public agencies intend to do, given the current situation.  Typically if we don’t submit audited info by June 30 we lose our financial/administrative quals (that would not be a good thing, for the company, for me...you, the country).  Hoping DOTs (and the Feds) will extend the usual deadlines, because audits will be delayed.  That’s the biggest impact I’m worried about in my industry (at least my little corner of it).
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Pineapple and Grenadine (in place of sugar) in an Old Fashioned.  That’s a twist, but sounds good!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Just a heads-up on the "Mule"...last 12 oz bottle of Ginger Beer I looked at contained 53g of sugar. Way high IMHO. No more Mule for me!
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Yep.

My buddy just recently bought the place. It's been a staple around here for generations. The only way to get the recipe is to buy the place from him....lol
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Jon951
Jon951 wrote
Just a heads-up on the "Mule"...last 12 oz bottle of Ginger Beer I looked at contained 53g of sugar. Way high IMHO. No more Mule for me!
This varies greatly, more do with ginger beers then other sodas I believe. Try one with the Goslings diet or look at a ginger ale maybe. Unfortunately the really gingery ones that make the best mules are also the most sugary I think
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
A mule NEEDS ginger beer....preferably Goslings, 47g sugar per 12oz can....otherwise my Kentucky Mule is just a Jack and Ginger with a twist of lime!  Sure, that’s tasty, too...but it lacks the ginger kick of a Mule!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
OK, were all at home. Some of us have nothing to do, some are as busy as ever. You want to help and know how to push a needle or use a sewing machine - here's how you can do it. This is no joke.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/local/joann-fabric-stores-working-with-customers-to-sew-masks-for-health-care-workers/77-1d0f71fb-9595-4b37-9909-fbd0004d2be9
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Today sucked, worst day of my professional career, so far.

We are running two concurrent scenarios. Cutting half our staff, cutting pay for the rest vs closing the company completely. We lost half of our projected 2Q revenue in a week. The problem is that we still can't accurately project our revenue for the next three months. We may well lose more tomorrow, important call at 9:30.

Also didn't know that there is no unemployment for business owners.

Fuck a duck. And thanks Johnny for making me laugh.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
That sucks. Been through layoffs like this too - painful.
Lost an old acquaintance to this today. It will take some time to sink in.

Read students on summer break in FL testing positive. One can say it’s their own damn fault but remember when you were that age. I barely do.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
PeeTex wrote
Lost an old acquaintance to this today.
So sorry man.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm sorry to hear of this Harv and PeeTex.

This sucks
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
So sad indeed , PTEX ,i feel that sorrow   , honor his memory  and be a force for comfort ro his family ( i KNOW you will , you have done for Others before )  take care of yourself man 🙏🏻

Harv , i have no words other than to say will keep you and others here in my prayers and i totally empathesize.

Who would believe this could happen this fast ?. Be well ,hug your wife and daughter and try to find solace in each other . Words are so inadequete at times . Just know we ALL care .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Thanks guys, I am beginning to look for daemons around every corner now. Hardly been out of the house but went to the store a couple of times and been pretty careful but this thing is silent and invisible so you just don't know. Worried for my wife, she is not in top condition to fight something like this if it occurs. I will need to do a grocery run in the next couple of days though.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
PTEX. I get THAT bigtime !! Have very similar concerns , you are not alone .

You're a smart guy and know what to do in maintaining appropriate precautions . We will make our grocery runs as quickly as possible , but do have a wonderful young couple next door that offerd to do shopping anytime .
Having been thru open heart 11 yrs ago  and with A flutter on very rare occasions i will be masked up ( my big heat exchanger ski mask ) when in the store . I may look foolish , but ask me if  i care 😆
But i am otherwise pretty healthy and fit for being almost 77 , So
 my main concern is those courageous healthcare pros riding subways going into the fray for others

Stay well brother !! And rattle our chain on here , it too is great therapy ...we are one in this

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Stay healthy, you are at greater risk than I based on your heart condition and you are a little bit older.

I have not started wearing a face mask as the CDC says this is not necessary - I just give others a wide birth. What concerns me about the grocery store is not direct human to human exposure but rather what you bring into your home on the packaging or in the case of produce - whats on the skin. I now take and wipe down the counter where I set the bags, after I empty the bags I throw them in the washing machine but that still leaves the items. I use hand sanitizer after I leave the store and focus on not touching my face until I do. I don't see gloves by themselves as being that helpful unless you have an open wound on your hands.

I really don't want to get stuff shipped to me as I don't trust the supply chains.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Are you wearing glasses or sunglasses when you go out? I’m no expert but to me the eyeballs seem like vulnerable spots
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Not for nothing but when I ventured out earlier I saw a bunch of guys playing golf on the course along the Sprain Parkway. That doesn’t seem all that smart to me and I’m not really one of the panicky types, even Corona wise, but I would think we could follow the rules at least within the hot zone. It’s not like they’re on some middle of nowhere upstate course where nobody gives a fuck.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Just got back from getting groceries for my parents. It took some convincing but I got my Dad to let me do all the shopping for them. He's the one that always goes.

While in town I stopped by my office to tighten a few things up for work as well as sign up for unemployment. That was actually depressing and quite a reality check.

I tried calling my mortgage company to talk about this deferment program earlier today. The wait time was over 5 hours. That's telling. Obviously there are thousands and thousands of people in the same boat.

Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Ur a good son my man .
1 ... 13141516171819 ... 63