classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
278 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 14
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fall Weather 2016

snoloco
I can't even look at the weather forecasts anymore without my blood boiling.  No pattern change for the foreseeable future and nothing but crappy warm temps.  I don't remember the last time Whiteface wasn't open in November, but it looks like that will happen this year.

If they can't open until December, then that pretty much kills any chance of being able to ski the summit before winter break as they'll be 2-3 weeks behind in terrain expansion.  I'm also worried that they won't bother to open Lookout at all unless December is really good.  They let it rot last year, yet it didn't seem like anyone complained about it, so I'm guessing they'll try and pull that again if they think they can get away with it.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
Holy crap dude.  Whiteface has the potential to get a massive dump and start 100% open overnight.  And your great idea is to stop watching the forecasts.  I thought you were a freaking genius.  Whiteface is long overdue and I think this is the year.  Just relax and get ready and be there on that day.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Have you ever skied Whiteface or followed their snow report?

The terrain is very rocky and it's pretty hard for most trails to open on natural snow.  Although they get a respectable 200 or so inches a year, they are still very dependent on snowmaking.  Moreso than Gore or some of their Vermont competitors.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
Don't think average annual.  Whiteface has potential for big snow totals.  Heavy base building snow.  I regularly see odd freak storms there early and late before and after the resort opens.  Sure it melts quick sometimes when it's that early or that late.  But, I've skied it on a freak storm that was one of the biggest I've ever skied.  Talking heavy snow upwards of 3 to 4 feet.  You think that wouldn't open just about everything?  Except maybe the slides.  No whining when it happens and you awd/winter driving course taking ass can't make it there.  Or didn't see it coming because he was throwing a tantrum.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
Not to mention you are probably closer to some massive lake effect snow at some tiny hills in I predict 1 to 3 weeks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
This post was updated on .
And you are telling me such a smart kid uses weather.com and AccuWeather?  Try spending more time on NOAA and lookup Rebecca Ladd's.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
The NOAA long range shows nothing but orange/red in the area that WF is in.  They can't get a big dump of snow unless it's cold, or else it will be r*in.  

When was this 3-4 foot dump that you speak of?  I remember in 2010 that the Catskills got a 5 foot dump of snow, but I don't think it really affected Gore or WF much.  Interestingly enough, that year had a really bad start.  I don't remember when Whiteface opened, but Hunter and Windham didn't open till the 2nd week of December.

I'm highly disappointed with the current forecast, but I guess I'd rather have a crappy November and a good December (2010-2011) than a good November and crappy December (2014-2015).  In 2010-2011, Hunter opened on December 5th with one lift one trail, and the next week, they had 39 trails and 8 lifts, 73% of their terrain.  Given good temps, WF can also cover ground pretty quick.  I think in that season they actually got Lookout open during Christmas week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
It's going to be snowing there thurs night through sat.  Not saying it will be anything huge.  And not saying the 10 day forecast has some great Temps.  But it's early November.  Why don't you have any sort of patience?  You should get over to killington and get your legs in shape so you can handle a big heavy storm at whiteface.  I don't remember when this storm was.  I'd say approximately 10 yrs ago.  It wasn't the Catskill storm, I remember that one.  This was one where the elevation of whiteface came into place of a moist storm.  It ended up being some big total over night.  Everyone got snow but Whiteface was by far the winner of that storm.  Does Coach remember this?  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
One of the issues with Whiteface storms is that they often bring wind, which can close down certain lifts.  The gondola and Summit Quad have some very exposed sections and go down the most.  LWF and Lookout do slightly better.  The Facelift, Freeway, Mountain Run, and beginner lifts can run in almost all weather conditions.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
The NOAA long range shows nothing but orange/red in the area that WF is in.  They can't get a big dump of snow unless it's cold, or else it will be r*in.  

When was this 3-4 foot dump that you speak of?  I remember in 2010 that the Catskills got a 5 foot dump of snow, but I don't think it really affected Gore or WF much.  Interestingly enough, that year had a really bad start.  I don't remember when Whiteface opened, but Hunter and Windham didn't open till the 2nd week of December.

I'm highly disappointed with the current forecast, but I guess I'd rather have a crappy November and a good December (2010-2011) than a good November and crappy December (2014-2015).  In 2010-2011, Hunter opened on December 5th with one lift one trail, and the next week, they had 39 trails and 8 lifts, 73% of their terrain.  Given good temps, WF can also cover ground pretty quick.  I think in that season they actually got Lookout open during Christmas week.

First thing!!LONG RANGE IS TOTAL BULLSHIT!!!

My young impatient friend, what is the rush to ski some crappy WROD? Even if it stays warm til the Holidays who cares?
Maybe the resorts do, imo it's all about what happens from Jan 1 on....

Patience Patience..You will ski and it will be better then last year...

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
JasonWx wrote
My young impatient friend, what is the rush to ski some crappy WROD?
Skiing is by far my biggest passion.  I have a great time almost every time I go skiing, regardless of conditions.  Once the ski areas open, even if it's WROD, that still gives me something to do every weekend (there's hardly anything to do in Potsdam this time of year).

Last year was an awful year, but I still got out 50 times and had many great days.  You spent the entire winter telling people to not go skiing, and I believe you said you only went 4 times.  From what you posted here, you didn't seem to be very happy either.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
snoloco wrote
For someone who is so much smarter than everyone around you this is where you are wrong.  Yes if it is really cold they can make snow but that is not where the potential for large single snowstorms lie.  If you want a big one there it's going to have a lot of moisture and yes it's going to be rain almost everywhere except at elevation.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
Here's a good one for you Sno.  Telling you to be patient and wait, it's coming.

http://www.upstatesnow.com/weather/news-story/winter-weather-outlook-2016-17-1/
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
snoloco wrote
Junior wrote
So you already graduated high school?
If you're as smart as I am.....
Some life advice?  Never think you are the smartest person in the room.  You will be either a) wrong or b) a dick.

Look up the etymology of the word 'sophomore.'  There's a good reason when and why it's used.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I guess I wrote that statement not in the way that I was intending to.  I was in the top 10% of my high school class, and I don't see any reason to stay in high school past junior year if you're doing that well.  It won't really help you do any better in college or the real world to stay in high school for 4 years if you're ready to move on after 3.  Yes you could take all AP classes and try and get some college credits out of it, but if you're going to do that, why not just go to college.

Also, it really annoys me when people try and question my status as a college student when it is quite obviously the case that I am one.  Once you have a college degree, what you did in high school doesn't matter anymore.  The only reason that most students who do go to Clarkson early get a high school diploma or GED is so they can get internships or summer jobs that may require it, or if they intend to transfer to another school.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Gaper Rog
Gaper Rog wrote
 It ended up being some big total over night.  Everyone got snow but Whiteface was by far the winner of that storm.  Does Coach remember this?

there was one storm came in on Dec 7 like 2005ish.  Went from shit skiing on excelsior to everything off little face open overnight!   40 inches w/ the adk blower sitting atop the heavy stuff!  epic.

we also had a nice run of big storms in late December for a number years that opened up terrain on all natural.  of course they were followed by the Christmas curse of warm temps, south winds then massive freeze for Christmas week!   

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
snoloco wrote
I guess......I wrote.....I was.....I don't see......why not just go to college.
I...I.....I, ay, yi, yi!

Sno, the continued lack of maturity you display here is the prime reason why everyone shouldn't 'just go to college' after their junior year of high school.  You may think you know all the secrets of the universe, and that, unlike all of the morons you are superior to yet have to deal with, you have all the answers....but you don't.  I know you've never thought about the fact that HS lasts four years for a reason, but it didn't come about by happenstance.  Don't take offense to this, because we all were at one point, but you are a clueless little pissant.  Honestly, if you actually picked up on some social cues here and took some advice I'd be much more impressed than I am by your haughty "top 10%" of your HS class BS, which isn't any great feat.  Yes, you are in college, not that that automatically means you are ready for college in terms of maturity and intellect.  However, you needed to get away from the untenable HS situation you were in and, ready or not, you went off to college......somewhat unprepared, unarmed with the additional maturity that would have been gained during that useless senior year of HS that everybody else is wasting their time on.  So, you truly are a less than HS graduate who has, perhaps prematurely (?), jumped into college.  I hope you are adjusting well, fitting in, making lots of friends, getting involved in lots of things....thriving.  You should be, my true freshman daughter is up in Boston.  If your Clarkson m.o. is anything like your approach around here, I suspect you may find some of the same struggles in your new environment that you had in HS.  That would have as much to do with you as anyone else.  Until you grow up a bit...actually a lot....you may not be maximizing the incredible opportunity your parents have provided you.  You really need to think on that.  You are a passionate kid.  You are willing to tough it out here and get involved.  I respect that and I want to see you succeed.  So look at yourself, realize that you don't have all the answers, and find the maturity you need to make your Clarkson experience the most it can be.

Thus ends the fatherly advice you neither asked for nor want, but I feel compelled to dispense!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
OMG w/ the advice for petit homme!!  if the kid wants to walk around the Adirondacks in high top sneakers and no hat so be it!!!!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Oh, one more reason to 'waste your time' with a senior year in HS, besides the whole maturity thing and actually being ready for college, would be the college credits my daughter earned.  16 credits, one full semester, of core requirements satisfied by her college level courses taken in HS.  That will either allow her to consider a December graduation a semester early, which would save more than $25,000, or she can dual minor, making her a more marketable May grad.  In addition to that she received another 16 elective credits for other classes taken.  While that won't contribute as much as the core credits she received, it automatically increases her class standing.  At the end of the spring semester she will have 64 credits, 32 earned at Emerson and 32 gained during HS, which will provide her junior class standing heading into her sophomore year.  That will allow her to register for classes sooner than her sophomore class peers, and give her higher housing priority.  There are so many advantages that could have been gained by a well planned senior year of HS.  Just because you, in your infinite wisdom, thought it was better to pass on those advantages in the hopes that it would improve your social situation doesn't mean the benefits weren't there to be gained.

Sorry for the continued drift.  I'm done!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
dude,

you got a high school daughter and you are only 47... whoa you got busy early bro.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
1 ... 3456789 ... 14