classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
278 messages Options
1 ... 567891011 ... 14
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fall Weather 2016

warp daddy
Lmao !! Hell my youngest graduated from Graduate school when i was 49 . We were 41 when we sent our eldest to college and 45 when she was married .. .. Things were different then
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Next weekend looks good. I see you are focused on what bad might happen. Come on dude. Like you say it's a long way off, stick with the positive.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Jason spent all last year telling people not to go skiing and saying how the weather always sucked.  I got out 50 times and had some great ski days.  He said he got out only 4 times.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I see they are making snow at Gore.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Next weekend looks good. I see you are focused on what bad might happen. Come on dude. Like you say it's a long way off, stick with the positive.
Not negative nor positive..just the truth...If the west coast is active,there tends to be ridging on the east coast...

All that being said, this pattern is normal for this time of year..The west is suppose to be active in November. The east coast gets going in early Dec..We are right on track...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Jason spent all last year telling people not to go skiing and saying how the weather always sucked.   .
ummm, he was right
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
campgottagopee wrote
snoloco wrote
Jason spent all last year telling people not to go skiing and saying how the weather always sucked.   .
ummm, he was right
I know the weather sucked, but how can one be so negative and tell people that it isn't even worth skiing at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i will address this once..then move on to the weather..

I never said that someone shouldn't ski..it's a free country, everyone is free to make their own decisions.. I will make a comment if I see some state area blow snow , knowing that it will be 50+ the following day...
now it's time to move one..

HIT EM WITH THE HEIN!!!!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I'm not sure why Whiteface (or any ski area not open yet) made any snow the past few days.  Most likely a PR move.  Next weekend is definitely a bust for skiing, and the week after is cold.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
the models are starting to look much cooler by month's end...almost time to get excited..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Hopefully you're right and I can ski soon.  I'm stoked for the upcoming season.   I'll finally be able to be viewed as an equal in the NY Ski Blog community as I will be a passholder at both of the "approved" mountains.  Previously you all hated on me for skiing at Hunter and Mountain Creek.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
We hated on you for constantly posting about Mountain Creek. Hunter has a decent following on this board.

But yes, people will be much more appreciative of your posts now, because they will probably contain information that is useful to them.

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
I hope so! And I also hope the forecast holds up for some snow making temps to allow Hunter or Mt Snow to open Turkey day
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
My terrain expansion predictions given the weather next week.

Mount Snow has enough snowmaking that if the forecast holds they should be able to open on Thanksgiving Day, which is their projected opening date.  Normally speaking, their opening day terrain includes Cascade-Canyon, Long John, Little John-Deer Run and The Gulch (terrain park).  Pretty good variety for opening day.

Hunter should also be able to pull off an opening on Friday or Saturday.  They open Hellgate-7th Ave-Kennedy first, but sometimes open it concurrent with Belt Parkway.  In 10-11, 12-13, and 13-14 and 15-16 opening day terrain was Hellgate-7th Ave-Kennedy only.  In 11-12, and 14-15, Belt was also open.  Last year was weird and they opened Cliff, Jimmy Heuga, East Side Drive, and Minya before they opened Belt.  Not sure why.  Looking at the temps, I'd say they open with Hellgate only on Friday and Belt would open on Saturday.  They've already made some snow on Hellgate-7th Ave-Kennedy, but much of it will melt by the next snowmaking window.

Windham has not started making snow yet.  Their opening terrain is usually Whistler, Wolverine, and The Wall and these should definitely be able to open by Friday.  They also try to add beginner terrain as soon as they can.  This could happen by Saturday, or might have to wait till next week.

Belleayre takes advantage of the elevation at the mid mountain lodge and opens Onteora and Lift 7 first.  Not sure exactly what they expand to after that, but I think they try and get the HSQ running pretty quick.

Whiteface is looking at essentially a full week of snowmaking temps next week.  That will definitely open them on their projected opening date (Friday).  They might open a day early on Thursday.  I fully expect to see more than just Excelsior-Valley-Fox by Saturday.  They usually open Essex-Lower Northway or Victoria second.  Not sure if they'll try and get Boreen open early, to keep Valley from being the only route to the bottom.  As Z said, they can't run the LWF chair to keep people on the upper mountain till Mountain Run is open, so everyone has to go to the bottom and take the gondola.

Gore should definitely be able to open Foxlair-Sunway-Quicksilver by Friday.  They may add Ruby Run-Showcase if they have enough time to make snow.  Looks like they're going back to the gondola as their opening lift, instead of using the Adk. Express like they did last year.

I don't think anything south of the Catskills will be able to open next weekend.  My old home, Mountain Creek is projecting 12/10 for top to bottom skiing.  I'm very skeptical of that.  I've never seen them open top to bottom that early in all the years I've skied there.  Opening on 12/17 (the next week) seems more likely.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Lets slow down...It gets cooler this Sunday and Monday, then we have a  warm up with rain around Tue/ Wed. Then a cold front around turkey day..Obviously this is subject to change since it's 10 days out..

Remember we are still in a transition period , weather wise.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Every night from Sunday on appears to be good for snowmaking at Whiteface.  Some of the days look to be good as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|