1 ... 45678910 ... 14
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fall Weather 2016

JTG4eva!
ScottyJack wrote
OMG w/ the advice for petit homme!!
Sorry!  Sorry....just couldn't help myself!  Time to kill while my son is getting his braces on....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
dude,

you got a high school daughter and you are only 47... whoa you got busy early bro.
Ha!  I thought we waited.  48 now, she's 18.  We started at 30.  Just like most kids aren't mature enough for college at 16, I wasn't mature enough for kids in my 20s.  Heck, our parent's generation often had kids at 18.  Kids having kids, although my bros and I turned out ok I guess!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
You are so wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin.

As I explained, there is nothing to gain by being in high school for 4 years vs 3 if you are academically ready for college work, and emotionally ready to live away from home.  I felt very much ready on both those counts.

Once you have a degree, and even once you're simply in college, what you did in high school doesn't matter anymore.  Your highest level of education is what you are using to get jobs once you graduate.

I don't see how it adds to anyone's maturity to spend a year taking study halls, early leaves/late arrivals (which is often done if you have a class rank similar to mine), and going to homecoming and prom (both are massive drama factories and a big waste of time no matter how you slice it).  If you can explain how either of these adds to one's "maturity" I'd love to hear why.  Even if you decide to take the challenging classes that last year, you can probably do better by just going to college after 3 years.

As I was one of the older people in my high school class, I'm not actually much younger than some of the freshman who went after senior year.  Explain how there's any kind of difference between someone who has just turned 18, vs someone who will turn 18 in 2-3 months.  You could say "but one person is an adult and the other is not".  Somewhat correct, but the only reason the government says 18 is an adult and 17 is not is because they figured around that time, people are ready to vote, pay taxes, and live without their parents.  There are some people who are ready to do that before 18, and some that aren't ready to do that until they are 19-20, but they picked that age because it was in the middle.

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
snoloco wrote
You are so wrong on so many levels.....
Yup, and the all knowing 17 yo is gonna give us all the answers!  

Hey, what does a 48 yo dude who has worked for 33 years and raised 3 kids, one currently kicking ass in college with str8 A's, whose professors love her, who is performing in a competitive tap company, who is writing for one of the college magazines, who is getting involved with Emerson TV, has applied for several internships, all while making dozens of close friends in different groups, fully immersed in the social scene, know?

Interestingly enough, when we FaceTimed with my daughter last night she observed that the things that were important to her in HS, the things she THOUGHT she knew in HS, are completely flipped.  She's matured a ton I just a few months away from home, and she was much more mature than Sno has demonstrated himself to be.

Sno, if all your HS had to offer for senior year was study halls and prom then I guess it's good you got out!  Of course that also makes your top 10% a whole lot less impressive!!

Good luck to you, I think you are gonna need it!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
As I have mentioned, my daughter is the female version of Sheldon from Big Bang..Intelligence wise and with all social quirks..That being she was academically done with school in 11th grade. But she loved tutoring math and physics and working with other academic clubs..She was also the second seat on the girls ski team...
Sno..what i am getting at is , it's not all about the work..you  keep on learning doing other non academic stuff too...no need to rush the years. they will come soon enough..
Just another dad giving you advise you don't want..

Now back to the weather...nothing new..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
She observed that the things that were important to her in HS, the things she THOUGHT she knew in HS, are completely flipped.
Thank you for proving my point.  If all your views change anyways, why waste another year with the old ones?

Had I not gone to college early, I would've taken all AP classes.  No reason to not go to college if that's what you're going to do.

It's great your daughter is doing so well in college.  I'm guessing she could've gone early if she wanted and also did great.  I have no regrets of my decision to leave high school early.  While it's still a very new environment to me, I'm getting the hang of things and I think I'll do great in my remaining time here.

While not "fully immersed in the social scene" I have many more friends than I did in high school and I'm sure I'll make more as time goes on.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Sheldon from Big Bang..Intelligence wise and with all social quirks.
My parents say the same thing about me.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
snoloco wrote
JasonWx wrote
Sheldon from Big Bang..Intelligence wise and with all social quirks.
My parents say the same thing about me.
they would also say wear a hat and boots when its cold and damp outside
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by snoloco
The truth is Sno there isn't any correct path that fits everyone. If you are real and are honest with yourself you know what's best for you. That's life man, the ride is different for everyone. I think it's cool that you are going to college a year early. You are like a Doogie Howser and that's pretty bad ass.

The arrogance you sometimes display in your posts is common with a lot of young men, no big deal, you have a lot of time to grow but if you want to learn stuff outside of academics you might want to tone it down a little, people that know everything and have no respect for other peoples opinions (especially those of people with more life experience) short themselves of learning some cool valuable stuff.

One thing I'll try to pass on to you is that there is no use in getting too frustrated with the things we can't control, things like the weather. It took me years to figure this out but I swear once you get that life is so much sweeter.

Now show me that post of mine where I told you to experiment with illegal drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
That sounds like the right time frame and the snow description and amount sound about what I remembered.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
I took a personality test recently and it says that my strengths are that I'm very intelligent and able to come up with ideas and have ways to implement them (which should make me a great engineer).  It said that one of my weaknesses is that I can be arrogant and think that I'm superior because of my intelligence.  I think the test got things about right.

Maybe it was Mikey who actually suggested that I try illegal drugs.  However, I do remember you talking about smoking pot in a positive light (which soon won't be illegal anymore).

Like I said earlier, it really pushes my buttons when people tell me that I'm not an "actual college student".  Pretty much insults the all work I've done so far to make the opportunity to go early a reality.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
snoloco wrote
Maybe it was Mikey who actually suggested that I try illegal drugs.  However, I do remember you talking about smoking pot in a positive light (which soon won't be illegal anymore).
Well lets try not to confuse these things. I don't tell underage kids or anyone else for that matter that they should smoke pot. I like to think I am free to feel and say whatever I want though as well, same for everyone. Live and let live ya dig?

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
WOW!! You can't make this shit up
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
10-14 days we should start seeing some consistent snowmaking temps....right on schedule..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
There you go Buddy. If nice to see something positive from you in the weather thread.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
10-14 days we should start seeing some consistent snowmaking temps....right on schedule..
Thank God!!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by tjf1967
This seems to be shaping up like 2010-2011.  I remember it was a very warm November that year, and then December was COLD.  Hunter went from closed to 100% open in about 2 weeks.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
UMM I think its shaping up to be 2016-2017.  I post in April and let you know how it goes.  I try and approach each winter with an even keel.  When it comes it comes and it usually does, if it doesn't I don't worry about it until March cause I think it is still coming.  Then if it doesn't I am only upset for a couple weeks a year.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
You are right and every winter is different, but I definitely see a similarity to 10-11 early season if Jason's forecast is correct.

That year November was warm and Whiteface wasn't able to open until Thanksgiving Weekend, and Hunter didn't even start snowmaking until I think 12/1.  They made quick work of very cold temps that set in and opened on Sunday during the first weekend of December.  By the next weekend, they made so much snow that they had the most open terrain in NYS.  The cold temps stayed all the way through Christmas and they were 100% open before Christmas.  I think both Whiteface and Gore opened all the lifts by Christmas that year as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Models are still on track for a cool down next weekend..the question is how long will it last?
the west looks to become more active, usually that doesn't bode well for the NE..But time will tell..We are talking about 10days out..ANYTHING can and will happen..
"Peace and Love"
1 ... 45678910 ... 14