classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
200 messages Options
1 ... 5678910
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Darkside Shaman
Old River Rd, which is across the river from the RR station in town, is the ONLY road closed, and the Hudson Bridge does NOT have water on it. the river level is holding steady at 11.22, but that could change as the snow is finally changing to sleet, but at least it's still frozen.

PS for you slackers that stayed home today I'll say it again, YOU MISSED IT!!!!!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
Seems the river is jammed up downriver of North Creek since Tuesday.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This is a extremely nice gesture....... Good job!!!

" The Alpine Lodge and the Inn on Gore Mountain in North Creek also offered free overnight stays to anyone displaced by the flood. But with around 700 Canadian tourists packing area hotels Friday, those without a place to stay over the weekend won't be left out in the cold. "

http://poststar.com/news/local/article_81ca9370-4b23-11e0-ba32-001cc4c002e0.html
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Only 2 lifts at Gore?  Whats the problem, whiteface is fully open....
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Not as of 10:36 a.m.:

Wind holds on Summit Quad, Cloudsplitter Gondola,& Lookout Triple
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Anybody know how much rain fell after 6pm last night in North Creek?

Regardless - it was a significant amount I'm sure.  When snow is wet - either manmade or natural - if you let it drain before you groom it, you'll end up with a much better surface in the end.

My guess is that Gore is trying to present the best product possible this weekend, so they are leaving the entire upper mountain ungroomed, and draining. I guess they could open the upper mountain ungroomed.(?) Not sure what that would do to surfaces. Probably not as much damage as a groomer.

Today is likely to be deserted anyway. Midweekers like Duck had their fill of awesome conditions this week, and I doubt  many would come out a fifth day to ski regardless of terrain.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Gore 90% open tomorrow.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Harvey44 wrote
 I wouldn't be surprised to see Gore 90% open tomorrow.
I say %96: all but Upper Darby and Twister Glades
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Looks like HermitCam still has two feet:

(?)

Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Well, the amazing powder skiing of last week is over (for now at least), but all of that snow is still there.  There must be 4 to 5 feet in the woods on the upper mountain.  Pretty scratchy up top on Sat, where it remained cold all day, but spring conditions on the lower mountain.  TR for the day here.  Here's an indication of how deep the snow is, and this isn't a drift or a bank:

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Pretty good Saturday . . . REALLY good Sunday.  Skied Gunbarrel, Rumor, Glades, Park . . . Soft Spring Conditions everywhere.  Gunbarrel was particularly good - and deep.  That cliff on skier's right was more like a gradual slope.  Good times . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Wow! Fantastic spring conditions today! The sun was out and it wa an absolute bluebird day. Things started to soften up around 11ish and just got better as the sun got higher! Rumor, Lies, Gun Barrel,  Straightbrook Glades, Darby au Natural, Chatterbox, you name it all good.
Funky weather comin tomorrow but you never know, winter isn't finished yet!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
On behalf of everyone, I thank you for your daily updates on what the TRUE conditions are
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Thursday, St Paddy's, was super. Plenty of soft snow for all. Felt like spring.

Pix in my TR in the Trip Report section.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Today was far better than I expected.  Took our sweet time and arrived late, took our first ride at about 10am.

We started low and worked our way higher as the sun came out and things got softer.  

Top never got as soft as the lower areas.

The interconnect played a big part in our day.

We'll get some kind of TR up tonight.
Reply | Threaded
|

Zelda
10 am?!  This is quite out of character for you, Harv...

Think I could talk you into that one?  That would not be easy!
"Go ahead and jump!" - Van Halen
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Zelda... check out the Gore TR X posted a few mins ago.  It was almost too cold to soften today.

OR: it was just barely warm enough to be really good.  The late start was by design.

As you can imagine, it wasn't easy to change my mindset for a mid-morning arrival.

I think X had an even harder time arriving late.
Reply | Threaded
|

Duck T. R.
In reply to this post by Harvey
Gore conditions 3/21/20011 another epic day in paradise. I didn't expect much snow today or great conditions so I arrived late, 10:30. There was 2" at the base and 4" at the top of bear at the time and I don't think there were 80 cars in the parking lot, including employees.  It just kept dumping until 2:30 and then a light mist. Fresh lines all day and the woods had a good hard base, you could ski anywhere. One of the top 3 days of the year and I haven't missed a power day yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Thanks Duck and everyone else for the updates.  Awesome to hear that things are holding up.  We just had our second daugther about 4 weeks ago and our place is rented this weekend so I have been eyeing the first weekend in April for a late season trip.  The better the conditions are the easier it will be to convince the wife that she needs to get a few days in this season.

Hopefully conditions hold for another couple weeks.  I have been jonesing since our last trip in early January.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
headed directly to the dark side via alil new thing.FRESH.works great for me lift 6 doesn't spin early in the week.after all that black on white we went to burnt ridge. Left that blackened also.finished up with an old favorite #.good snow good folks good fun great day!
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Midwinter conditions today. Awesome overall. Both doubles closed. Glades in great condition, a bit icy lower mountain glades. I hit the tree on Barkeater, tree survived. Last day of Mountain Adventure tomorrow, great program, thank you, Mark!
We extended our seasonal rental into mid April, forecast looks good.
1 ... 5678910