359 messages Options
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 18
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

TheGreatAbyss
Kleetus wrote
I broke all my rules of taking it easy, no glades, groomers only, no moguls, etc. Conditions made me do it.
I'd like to think I was partially to blame as well.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Huezee
That was the most crowded that I've ever seen Gore...  Stop and go traffic all the way to Beck's.  Certainly a confluence of factors that created an absolute mess yesterday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Well on the upside one of those factors was good skiing.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
In reply to this post by Huezee
Mostly because of lack electric
Good day .
Much warmer than advertise
Strong sun
Day 3 at Gore Saturday this year.
Day 11 over all
Loved how once they got most chairs running after lunch
Very little crowd lines dying down quickly their
Definitely my best day of skiing this year
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
In reply to this post by Harvey
We decided to start our day from the Yurt yesterday.  The Ski Bowl was hosting a race event, it was busy, but nothing like what I've seen in the posts.

Problem, due to the ice storm, the interconnect (and Burnt Ridge) were closed, so there was no way for us to access the main mountain.  Compounding that, 46er, despite having loads of snow blown on it was never groomed, so a foot of fresh powder was going to waste.  Ski Bowl Glades, and 46er never opened.

JJ's Glades were good, but skied off quickly.  Moxam also good.  Oak Ridge very nice, packed powder, we did it three times.  My son eventually poached 46er, reported it was good but a drag navigating between whale backs and trees poking through.

We couldn't ski today, the power outage (we're looking at well over 48 hours worth of it, took its toll and now battling pipe freeze issues.

There is a lot of good pow hanging in the woods for sure.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
MikePom wrote
We decided to start our day from the Yurt yesterday.  The Ski Bowl was hosting a race event, it was busy, but nothing like what I've seen in the posts.

Problem, due to the ice storm, the interconnect (and Burnt Ridge) were closed, so there was no way for us to access the main mountain.  Compounding that, 46er, despite having loads of snow blown on it was never groomed, so a foot of fresh powder was going to waste.  Ski Bowl Glades, and 46er never opened.

JJ's Glades were good, but skied off quickly.  Moxam also good.  Oak Ridge very nice, packed powder, we did it three times.  My son eventually poached 46er, reported it was good but a drag navigating between whale backs and trees poking through.

We couldn't ski today, the power outage (we're looking at well over 48 hours worth of it, took its toll and now battling pipe freeze issues.

There is a lot of good pow hanging in the woods for sure.
I skied ski bowl glades, they were open today. 46er was closed but it looked like they never cleared the brush and there was a lot of thick brush in it. It has been poached. Moxam was closed all day. The interconnect was opened, BRQ went down for a short time, maybe an hour. I only skied for a few hours, we were fighting power issues at home - my generator froze up and the wife called me back home.  Very nice packed powder on the groomers that seem  to be holding just fine.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
This guy, whoever you are. America hates you! Get some damn tires or 4wd! (Pic from Saturday. Dude blocking the entrance to upper lots.)
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
This post was updated on .
I had a long thing typed out...I skied ski bowl both Saturday and Sunday.  My last run Saturday

and Sunday

That was my fourth time through ski bowl glades.  The snow held up well and only got better with more skiers and boarders.  My goal was only one day this weekend... to Tahawus Glades and back through Burnt Ridge...never happened...I never left the bowl and skied both days.   Lift opening and hour plus late each day was a bummer but taught me patience (sort of)...Hey the storm was a bitch and there are still a lot of folks without power, all the best for those of you still lacking.   I skied more at Little Gore   Wish it were open tomorrow P.S.  I got new tires at the beginning of the week
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Capdistski
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Thought Gore was in great shape today  — skied the whole thing, hit every chair (I don’t count sunway).  Spent the morning up top on Lies and Hawkeye - my friend’s son skied Chatiemac, said the moguls were icy and tough, and next run they had closed the top section.  Everything else on summit was great.  Uncas and Pine Knot too. Topridge was icy.  Hit pipeline right when they opened it - think it was closed til they got Burnt Ridge going.  always fun to do the full top-to-bottom run.  Ski Bowl was quiet and peaceful as always, Oak Ridge was beautiful, Moxham closed.  Sagamore was really fun- stayed there for a while alternating between glades and run.  Best snow of the day was on North chair runs - perfect.  Twister snow was close second.

Hope they can keep it up - probably my last day til April as work is getting harry.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Today was awesome. Got a late start, was on gondola at 1040. Met up with TheGreatAbyss, skied a few runs up top which were good. Heard from patrol Burnt Ridge was open and headed down there right away.

Boreas, I have skiied many times bit today was probably the best. Fluffy snow, great coverage, it was awesome. Barkeater likewise. After 8 laps between both I was happy.

Skiied just over 4 hours, but given this was day 2 for me of this season on account of my back issues I was cooked. I ended the day feeling amazing, back included. Happy to be out there again. Hope I'm healed, and looking forward to next weekend. Also happy to again link turns with a fellow forum member.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Kleetus wrote
Boreas
Life kept me from the mountains this weekend, this ^^ is what I missed the most. My favorite.

Great to see you guys connect, it's really why I started this place.

Nice work all. Really satisfying to see the stoke.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
  Left Gore Sat after seeing long line at ADK express after first run down Showcase and one lap on Sunway chair. Took scenic route to Whiteface . had a great day there.
    Sunday got to Gore very early , couldn’t believe Upper Darby was actually open( sons been poachen now and then. Hit Burnt Ridge just right. Limit switch was messed up , lift was stopped with only racers heading to Echo. Waited about 10 minutes , started hiking back to Gondi when we heard the beeper on lift. Son and I were the 5th or 6 th person down Sagamore. There were was three different kinds of conditions on the trail at once. Trail and side of trail skied great, even with me having a huge wreck trenching to deep in the soft groomed snow.
  Skied a few of easier shorts glades with son . Really wondered where all the glade skiers were , saw no one.
  Place was really empty in afternoon up top. Even with a 4 hr ride home ahead of us we stayed to the top closed .

Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Nothing on radar, but snowing on the cam.
Reply | Threaded
|

gefiltephish
I hope the rain/snow line works out for Gore Thurs... warm air seems to be trending north as of this AM's model runs. We shall see what the afternoon models show
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Skiology Matt seemed to think (as of 11pm last night) that Gore would eke it out.  

NWS ALY forecast for Thursday 1PM

Forecast today was for freezing drizzle, but I think we dodged it, so far.

Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
5 to 8 for Thursday I don’t see anything different than days ago
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Where are we seeing 5 to 8?   I see 2 - 5?
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
We may have gotten 2 1/2" with a generous ruler
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey