1 ... 3456789 ... 11
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Improvements Summer 2015

raisingarizona
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Did somebody say titties and coke?
Oh yes. Yes I did. I have spent enough years in Cokarado to have seen this phenomenon up close in person. They smash powder bumps in that state!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
I agree with raising the mileage limits. Fuck the Bicknell's thrush!!!

Actually, in all seriousness, it'd be cool to have a little more room to work with. Not saying we should cut trails 360 degrees around the mountain, but it'd be nice to have a few more miles.
Reply | Threaded
|

SteveSam
In reply to this post by snoloco
Both Gore and whiteface are on constitutionally protected forest preserve. The mileage limit along with width requirements are written into the constitution, changes require two consecutive legislatures to vote followed by a statewide vote. Alternative is for new constitutional convention, next chance is 2017.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
I want the titties and coke and a petition to get rid of snochoad
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
It's not the thrush I'd be worried about. We must not disturb the fragil ecosystem and habitat of the Simulium Hirtipes. If we loose this precious creature, life in the Adirondacks would never be the same.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
mattchuck2 wrote

OMG ----  

You are going to feel the wrath of Scotty Jack when he sees this
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Back on topic:

I came up with an idea for what I think would be a really cool spring event that would take place at the Ski Bowl after the trail expansions I mentioned earlier are completed.

46er has some really good pitch to it and could probably bump up nicely.  Come mid March stop grooming the steep part for the season to let a lot of bumps form.  The adjacent Hudson trail and the portion above where Hudson branches off should still be getting groomed, except on powder days of course.

The last weekend that the Ski Bowl is open, which I'd probably make the last weekend in March, hold the Ski Bowl Bump Challenge on the steep part of 46er.  For those of you saying that I'm copying Killington's Bear Mountain Mogul Challenge, think again.  The course would be made by using the naturally formed bumps from people skiing it in weeks prior, rather than seeded bumps.  Make this a really big event.  Have different groups based on equipment, so have a telemark group, a snowboard group, and possibly even a vintage equipment group.  For those with regular downhill equipment, have different age groups and some women-only groups.  Skiers would be sent down the course two at a time and would try to beat the other guy down and the runs would also be timed.  Run the event all weekend with the qualifiers on Saturday and the championships on Sunday.  Come up with some prize that the overall 1st-3rd place winner gets.

This event would be great at the Ski Bowl.  It's the only place on the mountain where there is a steep trail that is easy for spectators to get to and watch.  There's also a parking lot right there to have a tailgate party in.  They could also work out a deal with a local bar so that the competitors could go there after the day was done.  Also, this event would definitely bring more people to the Ski Bowl during the event, but would likely get it more on the radar for Gore visitors during the rest of the season.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
Nice Sno, maybe one of your best thoughts on Gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Awesome idea Sno!

I had a similar idea years ago for here. I wanted to make it a Hot Dog Bump Party. Have an awards party later that night at a cool spot with a big screen to show the movie and maybe even have a wet t shirt contest too.

I thought awards could be given out for best costumes, big airs, wipe outs, and other things like that.

Steamboat used to have a bump contest/party every year on Chute One on St. Patts Day. It became too much of a liability for the mountain though. There were a lot of people that couldn't actually ski down after being up there all day. It was rowdy!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It's fun to burst people expectations sno. First came the first tracks smackdown, now this.

While you probably can't really watch a bump contest on the 46er headwall from the base area without binoculars, you could line the run with netting (POW!) or maybe (?) put some kind of grandstand up there.

That's one thing I like about the Ski Bowl... it's visible from town.

Ski More at Old Gore.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Harvey wrote
Ski More at Old Gore.
Hmmm...that sounds familiar
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Back on topic:

I came up with an idea for what I think would be a really cool spring event that would take place at the Ski Bowl after the trail expansions I mentioned earlier are completed.

46er has some really good pitch to it and could probably bump up nicely.  Come mid March stop grooming the steep part for the season to let a lot of bumps form.  The adjacent Hudson trail and the portion above where Hudson branches off should still be getting groomed, except on powder days of course.

The last weekend that the Ski Bowl is open, which I'd probably make the last weekend in March, hold the Ski Bowl Bump Challenge on the steep part of 46er.  For those of you saying that I'm copying Killington's Bear Mountain Mogul Challenge, think again.  The course would be made by using the naturally formed bumps from people skiing it in weeks prior, rather than seeded bumps.  Make this a really big event.  Have different groups based on equipment, so have a telemark group, a snowboard group, and possibly even a vintage equipment group.  For those with regular downhill equipment, have different age groups and some women-only groups.  Skiers would be sent down the course two at a time and would try to beat the other guy down and the runs would also be timed.  Run the event all weekend with the qualifiers on Saturday and the championships on Sunday.  Come up with some prize that the overall 1st-3rd place winner gets.

This event would be great at the Ski Bowl.  It's the only place on the mountain where there is a steep trail that is easy for spectators to get to and watch.  There's also a parking lot right there to have a tailgate party in.  They could also work out a deal with a local bar so that the competitors could go there after the day was done.  Also, this event would definitely bring more people to the Ski Bowl during the event, but would likely get it more on the radar for Gore visitors during the rest of the season.
This kind of thing has definitely been discussed on that slow ride up the Hudson Chair. You're in the right line of thinking for once, don't screw it up!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
It's fun to burst people expectations sno. First came the first tracks smackdown, now this.

While you probably can't really watch a bump contest on the 46er headwall from the base area without binoculars, you could line the run with netting (POW!) or maybe (?) put some kind of grandstand up there.

Ski More at Old Gore.
Turn it into a party on the sides of the trail or viewing area. Blast some music. Serve some food and beverages. A ski party for skiers. It would be fun for sure.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Harvey wrote

Ski More at Old Gore.
Turn it into a party on the sides of the trail or viewing area. Blast some music. Serve some food and beverages. A ski party for skiers. It would be fun for sure.
That be great for you locals guys, but that ain't going to draw a whole bunch of out-of-towners in for a weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
skimore wrote
That be great for you locals guys, but that ain't going to draw a whole bunch of out-of-towners in for a weekend.
The Gore bump contest has never really drawn a large contingent of out of towners.

I agree that it's a great idea that would be made more fun with a party involved. They should have it on the last day that the bowl is open. Sort of a "Ski Bowl Season Ender 46er Challenge". It could combine with my "April Rumor Challenge" idea from a few years ago and a "Dark Side Glade Challenge" in the first week of March for Gore's own version of the STEFT. Award prizes for each challenge and then crown an overall winner, too.

Good idea snoloco. These are the kind of ideas you need to have when you become a ski area GM.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
The problem is these things dont make any money so they never materialize
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
If you want to pack the place you need to do this...Bump contest..Nah

Those crazy Ruskies know how to party..

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Part of that picture is incredibly awesome. Another part of that picture is the opposite.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
The problem is these things dont make any money so they never materialize
They have a lot of events that are sparsely attended. At least snoloco's idea sounds fun...
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
mattchuck2 wrote
Part of that picture is incredibly awesome. Another part of that picture is the opposite.

1 ... 3456789 ... 11