classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
548 messages Options
1 ... 232425262728
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
I work on Saturday's so I have only been once. There was quite a few people there the day I did go, which was a month or so ago now.  I know there are about 10 or so guys in our crew alone that would go on Sunday's if they were to open. Most of us work on Saturdays around here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
It seems as though management is taking baby steps with the mountain biking. They also need to purchase some rental bikes, other than the fat tire bikes for individuals who may be vacationing at HLL. Folks from out of town may either not own, or may not want to travel with a bike. My guess is that this summer is simply a soft roll-out. If all goes well, I would surmise that mtn biking season passes will be sold next year.

I'm glad to hear that people are coming out for it. There was a lot of clamoring about offering lift served mountain biking, so hopefully all of those folks are at least taking advantage of it.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Agree, it does seem as if this year is their soft roll-out. They're new to it as well so I really can't blame them.  Hopefully they do offer passes for next year and are open both sat and sun. All I know is it sure is fun and a good workout as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Turns out, I have a neighbor 4 doors down who is into the Mountain biking at Greek. He has a $1,600 Specialized Rock Hopper with 29" rims and Hydraolic disk brakes. He says disk brakes are a must. He has pads and a decent full face helmet. I asked him if he went over the elevated bridge thing with the 8ft. drop and he said it is a 6 ft. drop and "Hell No".

He did say there is like ski patrol people who ride 4 wheelers, and kind of keep an eye on things in case someone wipes out.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Ive been an active proponent for mtb at greek for a long time, it's killing me not to be able to check it out  hope they are doing well. do you know how long they will be open? I'm hoping to be back on the mountain bike late September  / early October, maybe for skiers picnic or whatever they're calling ?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Haven't heard when they plan on shutting down for the season. My guess is it will be weather dependent.  I'd be interested on your take of the trails because I know you've done quite a bit of it. I thinks it's a blast. The only negative I've heard is that the new Expert trail is too hard...lol. Isn't it supposed to be??? I guess it truly is for experts who have their shit together. I know I just shake my head while walking it and think there's no effin way I'm going down this on a bike.

If you're in town for that skiers picnic, or whatever it is now, drop me a line. That thing is kinda a debbie downer now. There is a REAL skiers picnic that I know you'll enjoy just down the road  
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Well, I finally made it up to the mountain. A big smile was on my face when I saw all of the shiny new snow making pipe in the parking lot. There is also a pit dug about 30 feet or so up from the snow making building with a junction that is heading in the direction of the Odyssey.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
SUNDAY riding at Greek Peak starts 9/13 --- woot
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
SUNDAY riding at Greek Peak starts 9/13 --- woot
Ask and ye shall receive.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
This post was updated on .
Took a quick peak at Greeks webcam... Good size crane and pile of steel beams on far side of the creek - looks like the deck installation is intensifying. Also see a pipeline trench dug and headed up towards Odyseey from the junction.

(I remember talking to a guy at the beginning of last ski-season and one of the owners told him they really wanted to get some more tower mounted guns installed for this coming season... hope so)
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee

This dude makes it look easy -- WOW
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
campgottagopee wrote
This dude makes it look easy -- WOW
When your rig has 8 inches of travel everything looks easy...  Seriously, those trails look really sweet.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
BOOM - 5500 square feet

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Nice

I see campy drinking more than a few on that deck

May be being a homer but I think WF has the best drinking deck in the ski biz
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Coach Z wrote

May be being a homer but I think WF has the best drinking deck in the ski biz
I've had my share of beers on that deck and I've always had a damn good time.

Our new deck, with our crew, is gonna flat out rock
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Wow! It's really starting to take shape.

Did you happen to look at the side of the deck closest to the snowmaking building? It looks awfully narrow between the deck footer and fence by the pond? When I was up last week, none of the beams were in, but I thought to myself that there was barely enough room for a cat to back in between the footer and fence to groom in front of the foot bridge. I was hoping that maybe I misjudged the whole thing.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Looking good

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
holy shit that things massive!
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
This post was updated on .
Looks MASSIVE, indeed and built like a brick outhouse!
A deck on steroids
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Definitely a little overwhelming with the massive beams. It dwarfs the Katalima.
1 ... 232425262728