Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
Hill was lit up and guns_A_blastin last night
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

billyymc
What kind of condition is GP in right now? Pretty firm?
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
billyymc wrote
What kind of condition is GP in right now? Pretty firm?
It wasn't terrible today, skied from opening til 11. Flat light didn’t help, there was some pretty funky man made snow in the middle of both Fields, and Iliad. Upper Alcmene was closed but appeared to be in good shape. The ski patrol said they were worried about someone skiing past the closed sign on the lower half, they were grooming there all morning. I heard it was open Saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Alcmene was open after lunch.  Got a run down it top to bottom after poaching the top half earlier in the day.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
We ended up going up, getting on the hill around 11:30. Skied a couple hours before the kids got bored with doing the same two runs over and over. Right side of fields had little mini bumps that were pretty fun. Besides that Iliad was getting icy up top. Cornhead - I noticed those snowmaking spots that got left there…seems like they could have groomed them down a little - if someone hit those at high speed it wouldn't' be fun.

Damn this weather sucks. Start of the season looked so promising.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
billyymc wrote
We ended up going up, getting on the hill around 11:30. Skied a couple hours before the kids got bored with doing the same two runs over and over. Right side of fields had little mini bumps that were pretty fun. Besides that Iliad was getting icy up top. Cornhead - I noticed those snowmaking spots that got left there…seems like they could have groomed them down a little - if someone hit those at high speed it wouldn't' be fun.

Damn this weather sucks. Start of the season looked so promising.
That someone was me! Had an oh shit moment, not being able to see didn't help, hey it was a couple seconds of excitement.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I actually thought conditions were better on Saturday than Sunday. Humidity has been so darn high, and with temps in the upper twenties, the snowmaking conditions were less than ideal. They tried to make snow until the last minute today, and well after they groomed, which attributed to the variable surfaces. Regardless, I appreciate their efforts.

Alcemene will likely get wiped out this week, as the groomer really had to work the lower section this morning just to get it covered.

I sure hope mother nature is gentle this week with what she has in store.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Skiing was just meh, but the bar was wicked fun.......good crew

Big D and Cornhead twas good seeing ya

We need more snow
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
I actually thought conditions were better on Saturday than Sunday. Humidity has been so darn high, and with temps in the upper twenties, the snowmaking conditions were less than ideal. They tried to make snow until the last minute today, and well after they groomed, which attributed to the variable surfaces. Regardless, I appreciate their efforts.

Alcemene will likely get wiped out this week, as the groomer really had to work the lower section this morning just to get it covered.

I sure hope mother nature is gentle this week with what she has in store.

Agree, they did their damnedest to survive whatever the hell is heading our way.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
Alcmene was open after lunch.  Got a run down it top to bottom after poaching the top half earlier in the day.
Whoa, poaching the top half of the T-bar run is rad dude
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Skiing was just meh, but the bar was wicked fun.......good crew

Big D and Cornhead twas good seeing ya

We need more snow
Yea, nice seeing you guys, but the best was seeing Kaitlyn again!
Reply | Threaded
|

ehine1
I decided to go to GP, today, before the potential meltdown this week. Was there from about 9:30-11:00; 90% of which was in a light rain. Surprisingly, Iliad rode very well. Other than a bit of thin terrain and ice on the lower half, it was great. Alcmene (which seems to always be icy when I decide to go down it)  was a nice surprise, too. The top of it rode great and the only bad part was the very bottom where I had to contend with ice, dirt and grass. The only other trail I went on today was Elysian Fields, and that was probably the firmest of the three. With the thin and icy parts, some of the moguls that are still left were a bit slick and tricky to navigate. Overall the conditions weren't bad, just hope it can withstand the coming days and be in good shape for the weekend. Might do some early morning riding tomorrow, but it's unlikely.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Merry Christmas everyone. Enjoy your day.

Reply | Threaded
|

ehine1
I decided to go out again today to burn off some Christmas calories, but wasn't too excited by what I could see on the webcams this morning. GP's website still claims the base depth is 8-26'', though I believe that's from a lack of updating or maybe just some over exaggerating. I got there at 9:30 and stayed until about 10:25. In that time I only did about 5 runs of Iliad and decided to call it quits. The entire run was very firm, though I would not call it icy. Could just feel from the ride that the only snow remaining was the fake stuff. While the conditions did warrant the 25 minute drive from Cayuga Heights, I don't think I'll be going back this week. Instead I'll wait and hope for a cool-down with the coming days and go late next week and weekend. With that being said, the positive is there is still no lift lines at all. In the seven times I've been so far this year, have not had to wait one time.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Firm here on what is open.  Soft granular on the sides of the trails is pretty nice.  Only place in CNY still open.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Major props to GP for staying open thru this BS weather.....the other local areas have all closed, that's why GP rocks!!! We stay open and SKI

Twas very glacial, but as Pro pointed out the people who were there skiing all had a smile on their face. Winter is returning, the guns will be back on (my best guess is sunday night) and hopefully Ma_Natch will pitch in too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Greek was pretty good today, what was open was good. Hero snow groomers first thing, corn snow in the afternoon. A few bare and icy spots. Temp was about 50°when we left at 2. I skied in a long sleeve tee shirt in the afternoon.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Did they lose a bunch of trails? I really want to get back there when it's 100%.  Gotta knock Olympian off the list!
Reply | Threaded
|

ehine1
Yesterday they had Iliad, Alcmene and Fields open on the far west of the Mountain. Other than that, some greens and blues such as Alpha Slope, Castor, Lower Pollux, Stoic, Meadow and Platonic were open. Think there was somewhere around 13 or 14 open in total. I assume today was much of the same. As stated by others, what was open is riding alright, but can only ride the same few trails for so long.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Did they lose a bunch of trails? I really want to get back there when it's 100%.  Gotta knock Olympian off the list!

Didn't really lose any trail count (still only 4 trails open), but lost snow. Guns came on last night and will continue all week as long as the tempos hold out. I'll let you know when the big "O" is in good shape. Not too long ago they USED to blow snow on the head-wall and we'd ski that well into the spring. Hopefully they will again this year.
12345678 ... 28