637 messages Options
1 ... 23242526272829 ... 32
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

billyymc
Big D wrote
On Greeks Facebook page it says a pass now costs $500!
Yep. It looks like they sold 450 passes at $450, then 475 passes at $475, then changed the price to $500.

Inverse elasticity of demand. Economics -101
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Do we think it's merely a coincidence that both Greek and Togg pass sales are on the same pace? According to Togg's site you could buy a pass to both until 3/16 for $475 and get all the perks that Big D mentioned. Amazingly they have sold out at the same time frame that Greek's has sold out.

Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
That buy a combo Greek/Tog pass at $475 untill 3/16 expired after a certain number was sold. It is now $525 and here is a screen shot from skitog.com showing current prices as of Mon. 3/12/18 at 11:30 am:

Reply | Threaded
|

timbly
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Big D wrote
Yep. It looks like they sold 450 passes at $450, then 475 passes at $475, then changed the price to $500.

Or did they sell 20 at $450, 20 more at $475 to make $500 more palatable to everyone else? Marketing genius!
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
timbly wrote
billyymc wrote
Big D wrote

Or did they sell 20 at $450, 20 more at $475 to make $500 more palatable to everyone else? Marketing genius!
Looking at the GP facebook page it has a graphic showing 450 at $450, 475 at $475, 500 at $500. Presumably it will keep going up by $50 for each increment, to whatever their planned max is.

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
On the bright side, there should be virtually no issues with lines next year.
Reply | Threaded
|

timbly
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
timbly wrote
billyymc wrote
Big D wrote

Looking at the GP facebook page it has a graphic showing 450 at $450, 475 at $475, 500 at $500. Presumably it will keep going up by $50 for each increment, to whatever their planned max is.
To put it another way: did they really sell 450 for $450 and 475 at $475, or did they just make that claim and start selling everyone $500 tickets?
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Timbly - I see what you're saying. No idea how many they actually sold at each price point.

The funniest thing is that they actually started selling passes around March 1, because whoever put the webpage up didn't disable the ability to actually go buy a pass. Several people here purchased passes at the lowest price point before GP realized their mistake and locked the function until their stated start date of March 10.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Did you get a pass Billy?
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
Did you get a pass Billy?
We will be skiing at GP for at least one more season Camp. The family pricing was pretty reasonable - maybe even a bit less than last year, I couldn't find last year's receipt. After that, if they play silly games again it will be hard to justify when both kids are in college and only able to use their passes during their winter break.

I think this pass pricing scheme alienated a good part of their core loyal customers. Oddly that doesnt' seem to be their target market anymore.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Full disclosure

For many reasons I didn't get a pass last year. I missed skiing with the crew so I decided I would get one for this year. By the time I had logged on Saturday morning to get my pass they were already at the 475 mark. I was so disgusted I didn't bother getting one. I know it's only 25 bucks, but the principle of the matter is what pissed me off so I opted once again to not buy a pass. Maybe next year but who knows.

I still love the place, the people are great, and I hope to ski there a few times next year if we get the conditions and terrain I want to ski when I can go.

Simple fact is it doesn't snow anymore.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
I know it's only 25 bucks, but the principle of the matter is what pissed me off so I opted once again to not buy a pass. Maybe next year but who knows.
Camp - I think that' show a lot of people feel. If I wasn't able to get the lowest pricing I wouldn't have leveled up for the same reason you didn't.

GP is creating a lot of ill will with this one. A straight out price increase would have been less of hit to customer sat than what they did.

And once you lose a customer it's a lot harder to get them back. Some will drift away from regular skiing, some will decide to go to other local hills, some will spend their skiing $ on trips instead of local passes. But once they change, getting them back will take a lot more than if their decision to stay had been a no-brainer.

I don't quite understand their goals. This pass pricing seems designed to get fewer customers out on the hill, and in the restaurant.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
billyymc wrote

I don't quite understand their goals.  
I think they are spread so thin. To you and I, as well as everyone else on this board, the place is a ski area. But they have a hotel to fill, water park to fill, adventure center to fill, and finally a ski area to fill. Lots of balls in the air for them so-to-speak.

They'll still get my money at Trax year round --- that place is too much fun and convenient as hell for me to not go. In the summer deck beers are fabulous there.  
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
They aren't backing down from it...they posted something on their facebook page about creating a sense of urgency.

The problem is, this isn't like filling an airplane with limited seats. The could literally sell unlimited passes. You can't artificially create urgency when there limit is simply artificial...there's not real limit. That's why gyms sell memberships so low. There's not shortage of space at the gym except for a few peak hours a day.

No, GP f'd this up. Pass sales will dry up quickly and they will be left trying to figure out how to recover.

How many people own shares of condos or whatever there? That's their only captive market. Beyond that everyone else can go elsewhere if they get pissed off, and it seems a lot of people are pissed off.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Exactly --- it's almost as if they are the ones doing us a favor by allowing us to buy passes there.

Maybe it's just me but that's the feeling I get.

Anyway, on to other things ----- buddy of mine broke his chain case over the weekend so we need to get that thing tore down and fixed quick like. We have snow on the way!! Maybe I'l;l see you in Trax over the weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Seems my daughter was out your way doing the Spartan challenge this weekend
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Cool --- did she have a good time??

Peeps been saying good things again this year about the race
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Apparently she did, she said there were times she thought she would die. She said she would not do it again but my guess is by next year she will be ready. Pretty tough for a women pushing 40
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Wow
Those races look tough, Pee Tex. She must be in some awesome shape. Good job.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Brownski wrote
Wow
Those races look tough, Pee Tex. She must be in some awesome shape. Good job.
Thanks, she invited me to her gym one morning last year, just about killed me. She grabbed a big kettle ball, I grabbed the small one - it went that way for the entire workout. She gets up at 4;30 AM to work out . Her daughter is even more intense. A 46er at age 12, runs a 5k every day and was a ski racer and now deciding on colleges.
I was certainly blessed.
1 ... 23242526272829 ... 32