Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
Hey who could give me 500 words on GP?

https://nyskiblog.com/directory/alpine-ski-areas/central-ny/greek-peak/

Doesn't have to be a forum member. Anyone know anybody?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Auggie the ski doggie?

He's been a ski buddy of mine since the 80's and is a wordsmith
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Greek raise aprox 10K for our local food pantry on Xmas Eve ski free day. Well done Greek Peak!
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
$10,000 is a pretty decent amount given the minimum was $5.00

I wonder what the average donation $ amount was.  I doubt they got 2000 people to show. I've been sick since Monday, how busy was it?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Hey who could give me 500 words on GP?

Doesn't have to be a forum member. Anyone know anybody?

Dougski you rock brother:

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
Which run has 950ft of vertical?
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
In reply to this post by Dougski
Quad stopped every 2 minutes...  wasn’t great standing in line watching doubles, singles, and empty chairs going up.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
radskier wrote
Quad stopped every 2 minutes...  wasn’t great standing in line watching
How long was the wait time?
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
10-15. Could have been 0 if they filled the chairs and kept it running.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
So you couldn't wait 10 to 15 minutes to get on a lift that stops every 2 minutes? Dude, relax bud.

What day was this on?
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Greek has done an exceptional job in prepping the hill this season. Three skiable trails two weeks before Thanksgiving is outstanding.  It's a shame they can't seem to do the same with lift ops. There is nothing more frustrating then standing in line watching less than full chairs going up. They need someone to run the loading process when it gets busy. They've opened chair one several times when if they just sent up full chairs on the quad, there'd be no need. A singles line would help. It isn't rocket science. Why do all that work on the hill only to sour customers experience at the lift?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Cornhead wrote
Why do all that work on the hill only to sour customers experience at the lift?
I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I feel most people are enjoying their day. While waiting in  the (short) lift lines at GP most are talking with friends, meeting new friends, and not worrying about the chairs.
Every hill has their thing. For example, Smuggs has old slow lifts but to ski there you embrace it and ski there because it's awesome. Greek has a new slow lift that to ski there you need to embrace it and enjoy your day.
Skiing GP for 40+ years I can tell you 1A has always been that way. That's why as soon as I had to wait in line at 1A I would make my move across the hill.
I wish the T-bars were still there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
campgottagopee wrote
Cornhead wrote
I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I feel most people are enjoying their day. While waiting in  the (short) lift lines at GP most are talking with friends, meeting new friends, and not worrying about the chairs.
Well that's certainly sweeping poor performance under the rug. Oh, it's ok if we don't fill every chair when there's a line, I'm sure everyone is having a grand time socializing in line. Are you serious?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Cornhead wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Cornhead wrote
Well that's certainly sweeping poor performance under the rug. Oh, it's ok if we don't fill every chair when there's a line, I'm sure everyone is having a grand time socializing in line. Are you serious?
Yes I'm serious. Look, you're giving the skiing public too much credit. Have you ever been a liftie? I have.  Do you honestly feel that peeps who can barley stand up on their skis can shuffle through the line like a choreographed marching band? The vast ability of skiers that ride on chair 1A will always cause open or half filled chairs going up the hill. You can't fight that.

The day I met Harv at Trax it was busy. I didn't hear one person complain about lift lines, open chairs, whatever. Everyone was having a blast.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Why not just bust around and hop on the first open spot?

I do that all of the time. It works great.

Truth is, the more laid back the atmosphere and attitude the more powder for the more motivated. And shoot, lifties aren’t getting paid big bucks, it’s supposed to be a chill gig.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
In reply to this post by radskier
Re.. Greek Peak Vertical Skepticism...

They claim 952 on their website and so does Wikipedia, no doubt edited by Greek. Seems overly precise to me. I've never heard a story of how it got so precise. If you ask hill staff, the highest point is near the top of Chair 4. They claim that from there to to the bottom of the "Greek Peak East" is over 900 feet.

Well maybe.....I've played with the several topographic maps and it appears that if you measured from near the top of chair four to the lowest point near the bottom of chair 5, its probably over 900 feet (~2100-~1200 gets you ~900)

https://mapper.acme.com/?ll=42.5086,-76.146049&z=13&t=M&marker0=42.5086,-76.146049,Greek%20Peak%20Mountain%20Resort

So there is one run. But obviously you can't take advantage of all that vertical without using more than one chair ride.

Unless you have a calibrated altimeter its really hard to measure altitude yourself. Your GPS watch or phone is not accurate enough for the purpose of accurately reading Greek's vertical. It's error could be up to 10% depending on number of satellites and position.  Search "GPS Altitude Accuracy" for many articles on the subject.

Bottom line: I'd take vertical drop claims with a grain of salt.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
In reply to this post by Cornhead
I've skied many eastern places and Greek for years. Frankly Greek doesn't really have lines. Certainly I've not stood in a line of more than 5 minutes at Greek for years. The lines we do see are the result of skiers not paying attention, lots of slooooooow disorganized beginners, people who are unwilling to step up (especially on 1A) etc. Frankly Greek's bigger problem is making sure that all the lifts can be staffed each weekend. Staffing each lift with someone to ensure each chair (on 1a/Visions) has 4 people really hasn't needed to be a priority (yet). I'd sure like it if Greek had crowds enough each weekend to make it a priority. I'd be busier as an instructor.

; - )
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Here's the rub --- Greek has zero lines worth mentioning, so it's really a non-issue.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Dougski
LOL!! For years the advertised vert of 750ish, I think? Then all of a sudden the hill grew
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
I do the same also if it’s crowded. I’ll put myself high side skiers left and wait for a opening. But to be truthful they really should have a single only line on 1A. Most ski areas do on their bigger lifts.
1 ... 9101112131415 ... 53