Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
Good for them!!!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Brownski
You guys thinking 100% open by Sunday? When do you figure the trees come into play?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Brownski wrote
You guys thinking 100% open by Sunday? When do you figure the trees come into play?
They are making snow on Chairs 4 and 5, but not sure about chair 3. Skiing to date on chair 3 has been via natural snow only.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
This post was updated on .
Rj1972 wrote
Brownski wrote
They are making snow on Chairs 4 and 5, but not sure about chair 3. Skiing to date on chair 3 has been via natural snow only.
Chair 3 has been open all season - it’s the Alpha slope chair.

The woods won’t be in play this weekend - places where there isn’t a man made base are really thin - was more or less bare in those places last weekend and it hasn’t snowed all that much
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Thanks
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by billyymc
I was up on top yesterday via sled. There's easily a foot of snow up there. Still not enough for the woods. Sure someone could poke down thru them but not really skiable until we get more POW
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Rj1972 wrote
Brownski wrote
Chair 3 has been open all season - it’s the Alpha slope chair.

The woods won’t be in play this weekend - places where there isn’t a man made base are really thin - was more or less bare in those places last weekend and it hasn’t snowed all that much
Yeah, I meant to say chair 2--not chair 3. Castor has only been open via Epicurus, which can be a challenge for beginners to skate/walk across.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote

Lower Aesop's Tuesday 12/17
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Looks pretty good in there
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This should be a great time!! Anyone going?

Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I am such a morning person.  New Year's Eve is past my bedtime.  I accept the fact that anything past happy hour makes me turn and run the other way.  Oldness does have it' s benefits.  :)  New Year's Eve also makes for empty slopes on New Year's Day.  

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
They’re making snow on Olympian.  When’s the last time that happened?    Good work snowmakers
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I know, right?!!
It's been a while, I'd guess 8 to 10 years? I know when Dr Snow was on the snow tribe he was always hell bent on blowing the big O
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
It’s been 3-4 years since I’ve had a pass at Greek.
Been up skiing a few time this season already and got to say I like what’s happening at Greek. Greek has its priorities correct now , it’s all about the snow. What sent me packing was the money spent on a lift that still is crap over snowmaking.
I’ll take a slow lift and 10 trails over a quick chair and have 3 trails. I also like that chair 1 is running more, it’s got to be cheaper to run nights over 1A and quicker also. Think I’ll be back next season as Greek is a skiers hill, so many ways to ski it with plenty to beat around.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Good to hear. That seems to be the theme this year. Keep in mind that it also helps when Ma_Natch lends her hand with natural snow and snowmaking temps. A life long friend of mine and long time GP employee told me everyone is a genius when it snows.

With the past years being spent on fixing the dilapidated snowmaking system, now when it's time to blow POW it's game on.

I was too was against that damn lift. If you remember that lift was falsely promised for years so the new guys had no choice but to put it in.

Long live 1
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
One good thing about the old 1A double, you could sit sideways on it with your back to the wind during inclement weather. That was especially nice for that wide open gap before upper Alcmene. You can't do it on 1, different chairs, there's a bar in the way. You can sit sideways on 4. Much more sheltered ride there, but nice to face the morning sun on a cold day.

Oh well, conveyor worked smoothly today. What's up with all the ripped cushions on the quad? Is that natural wear, or vandalism?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
This should be a great time!! Anyone going?

We’ve done the Trax New Year’s buffet on and off over the past number of years. We plan on skipping it this year, as we are not certain where we will be over New Year’s. Based on current ski conditions, we will likely be at GP, and if so, may just do the Acorn instead.

We were hoping to do a little more skiing at either GP or in VT up until Christmas Eve, but I’ve been out of town for the last couple of days. It sure does look as if GP is really piling on the snow.

Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Yeah got to agree, you can lift the bar running single so it’s doable . I hate the height and angle of the ski rests on 1 but love the chair . Would be nice to be at height and angle where as it forced your heel back, bet the racers would love that. It would be REAL nice if at that height and angle ,your boots would lock in under the seat as many doubles do. I think you could tune them ski rests to do that with a little bend.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Rj1972
I did the Trax thing one year. Everything was great but I'm not a fan of big crowds, and it was crowded.....lol
We just grab some beers, start a fire, then watch the fireworks. They do a nice job with this event.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Lots of unskied snow around.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
1 ... 78910111213 ... 53