classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1058 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 53
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
There were a lot of cars there yesterday. Odyssey had amazing coverage on it. It was quite impressive.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
There were a lot of cars there yesterday. Odyssey had amazing coverage on it. It was quite impressive.
How did it ski?

I was there around 12:30 to pick up some skis. People must have been in for lunch because there weren't many skiing. Iliad looked like nice soft snow at that time, with coverage across about 1/3 to 1/2 the width of the trail. Didn't really look at Odyssey.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
billyymc wrote
How did it ski?
It skied great, nicely groomed, and not much traffic to chew it up. I preferred it to yesterday. By the time I got there, one o'clock, Illiad and Odyssey were already in the shade and rather firm and chunky. Alot easier on my old knees today. Still pretty firm, but smooth and edgeable, fast.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Rats.  I went to yoga instead after hearing "loose granular."  Hearing loose granular on the snow phone usually sends me away from GP to do other things.  How do you know that things will be skiable, after hearing that? Or, do you just show up and hope for the best?

Thanks,

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
What was the high temp?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
WP --- you just gotta go

Harv --- it got into the mid 40's

GP was running 100 guns at once
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
I think it was 84 guns running at once... with 126 guns set up on th hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Kudos to Greek for finally showing the hill some love after years of neglect while efforts were focused elsewhere. Three trails open prior to Thanksgiving is pretty impressive. Money well spent on those fixed tower guns.
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
In reply to this post by wonderpony
wonderpony wrote
Rats.  I went to yoga instead after hearing "loose granular."  Hearing loose granular on the snow phone usually sends me away from GP to do other things.  How do you know that things will be skiable, after hearing that? Or, do you just show up and hope for the best?

Thanks,

WP
If you want to get good ski days in you gotta start by getting ski days in.  The good ones will be there even when you’re not planning on having one.
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Joneski73 wrote
wonderpony wrote

Thanks,

WP
If you want to get good ski days in you gotta start by getting ski days in.  The good ones will be there even when you’re not planning on having one.
Very true, but let's be serious - this was pre-thanksgiving skiing on all man made snow that had melted off for a couple days and had some nice skidmarks in the area approaching the lift. If we were in late January it wouldn't be considered a good day.

That said, I'm still a little jealous I went with an Ikon pass this year and haven't skied yet
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
Just checking the weather and Sunday may be shaping up to be a mini pow day ... and some snowmaking temps beforehand to replenish the base.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Ayep.  In which, I will cancel my yoga reservation and ski.  :)  My yoga practice does take a hit during ski season, but, hey... Priorities...
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
After a week of warm temps, including two days where it touched 60s, and a day of rain and thunderstorms, the base webcam at Greek is offline. Such a coincidence.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
I’m considering coming up Sunday. What do you guys think? Obviously it’s still early season conditions but - in context - how did they hold up?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Brownski - the camera did come up for a bit this morning. Honestly it didn't look good, but if the temps drop enough tonight and tomorrow, it seems like they have the ability to crank out some snow pretty quickly with the new guns so might be able to put down enough to make it decent.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
They're making snow now. It will be early season conditions on all man made.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I had fun today. I went to pick up my skis and decided to try skiing, with very low expectations. It actually wasn't that bad, at least on the bunny slope. My biggest issue was not being able to see because I was under the guns most of the time. I also need to improve my turns for those fun times when I discover a pile of man made snow that I can't see because my shades are covered in snow.

It looked like the carpet was running, and they weren't blowing snow on Iliad. There is, however, one very thin strip in the middle. I thought I also saw cones set up on skier's right.

I think that tomorrow should be a really nice day!

WP

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
Glad to hear the guns are going again.  I wonder if they are focusing on Elysian Fields and Stoic to get a base down before Sunday’s snowfall?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
It was pretty good today. Karyatis was interesting on the first go round. Upper section skied great, below on Meadow the guns were on. It was like hitting sandpaper on the wet "snow" from the guns. I skied it several times after, much better knowing the sandpaper snow was waiting. A couple goggle clearing swipes were necessary to complete the run, but the "snow" didn't freeze onto my goggles, so no big deal. Happy to have it in the mix so early.

Illiad and Odyssey were as usual so far this season, a little firm, a little chunky, but nicely edgeable.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
More of the same today, but with sun and guns. They are blowing on Fields again.

1 ... 3456789 ... 53