Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
Jamesdeluxe wrote
I always loved the font in the old logo, very inspired:

Now, it's this generic bollox -- like an assisted-living facility:
We all agree!! That has been mentioned over and over. Sure wish they wold listen.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote
Conditions were nice yesterday and grooming was the best that it's been all season! Upper Mars Hill was getting pretty thin on the flats thru the trees and I won't be surprised if its closed by Sunday making the shuttle bus the only option to ski chair 5. Seems like every time conditions get really good we get another gully washer and have to start the whole process all over again...I'm glad they hammered the snowmaking on the trails off the quad to be able to get through these tough weather cycles!
750???
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
campgottagopee wrote
pro2860 wrote
Conditions were nice yesterday and grooming was the best that it's been all season! Upper Mars Hill was getting pretty thin on the flats thru the trees and I won't be surprised if its closed by Sunday making the shuttle bus the only option to ski chair 5. Seems like every time conditions get really good we get another gully washer and have to start the whole process all over again...I'm glad they hammered the snowmaking on the trails off the quad to be able to get through these tough weather cycles!
750???
LOL if you're talking bowling, I would have needed another game to get there!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
pro2860 wrote
750???
LOL if you're talking bowling, I would have needed another game to get there!
LOL -- that's what I was talking about

Damn I had a feeling too
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
This post was updated on .
Spill... What is $750? Please tell me you are talking vertical feet and not the pass price for next year!

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
750 feet is the actual vertical drop for our favorite ski area. Not 950 as claimed on GP website. The lower figure can be found on both topographic  maps put out by USGS and any decent GPS device.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
Incidentally conditions were quite nice. They got a couple of inches of wet snow. It will be better tomorrow.  It rained between 2 and 3. Then I left.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
I skied mostly backside which was empty. Twas nicely untracked.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
Regarding chair 2... nothing is wrong with it. Once we can keep snow on upper castor and pollex and it will be spinning.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
In reply to this post by Dougski
Phew! Thanks!

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Thanks for the update Dougski. I was checking the webcam... looks like it could be a lot worse. I may come up there. I want to ski pretty badly. It’s between Gore, Greek and WF. Greek is marginally less driving then Gore and I have 2 visits on the Indy Pass. Maybe I’ll just burn one tomorrow and hope for a LE powder day before the end of the season.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
When are they going to make a good mogul run??
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
Where are the moguls this year?

Moguls usually come with natural snow. Like on skier's right on Elysian Fields. The guys did try to build them under Chair 1 on Iliad. Then it rained. Then they tried again. And it rained again. And... well you get the idea.

Weather has messed us up lots of things since Christmas. Why is there no free style terrain and rails and bumps on Alcemene? Because of the warm temps and lack of natural snow. Weather is also why we haven't been able to open (or keep open): Hercules, Zeus, Marathon, Castor, Pollex, Olympian, Atlas, East Meadow, Arcadian Gate, any glade trail, or any of the narrow woodsy biker trails. They tried to get Zeus and Castor open, but it got too warm.  For those of us who really love messing around on the steepest slopes and in the trees on the backside and under Chair 2, this year's snow has kind of sucked so far.

I think I'd prefer a colder dryer winter where the snow stays, instead of this repeating wet mess we've had since Christmas.

The fact that we've been able to ski on as much terrain as we got is a real statement about how much snowmaking has improved in the last few years. Unlike last year, and the year before, I don't see us having to close mid season because of conditions for any number of days. Not going to happen.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Much better than expected today. I heard it was snowing yesterday while it was pouring rain in Binghamton. I'd say Greek got about 2" after they groomed last night. It must've barely been snow. It was very heavy, and a bit slow, but skied nicely and very edgeable. Skier's left Illiad, and right Fields was open thin and bare. Didn't try them, but skier's right of Mars skied nicely. You had to link turns as it was too heavy to slide your tails around.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
Great day today. Good crowd and snow flurries most of day. Temps in low 30s.
Reply | Threaded
|

MogulMaster
Banned User
Was it a good crowd due to $5 day?  I heard they were back to that again.  I don't get why they don't run these promotions midweek on slow days.  Makes no sense to run them on a weekend when people are going to come anyways.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
$5.00 today?!  Where that come from?
No. Today was just a regular sunday at greek.❄
Reply | Threaded
|

MogulMaster
Banned User
I wasn't totally sure.  I heard that from another greek peaker.  Are they still doing that?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I believe they had a junior ski race today, which is likely why the  crowds. Plus, lift two is still not up and running.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Dougski wrote
$5.00 today?!  Where that come from?
No. Today was just a regular sunday at greek.❄
Sunday was a New Jersey Ski Council Discount Day at Greek Peak. They had a full page ad in the guide book - I picked up a guide book at the Triple City's Ski Club meeting.

1 ... 29303132333435 ... 53