1058 messages Options
1 ... 31323334353637 ... 53
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

billyymc
MogulMaster wrote
So no skinning up lift 5.  And only before hours is kind of a joke.  That's what we need.  More rules.
At least they allow skinning at certain times. Some places don't allow any uphill travel - go give it a try at Jackson Hole and see how far you get. Most places that do define certain routes, and some certain times as well. I think the best change they could make to their uphill policy would be to allow skinning on Mars Hill and Karyatis in addition to Castor.

As far as being allowed once the lifts start, I think it's too much of a hazard at Greek where you get lots of skiers searching for "edge powder"

Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
skin up 5, doesn't open until 9 anyAways
Bwhaaaaa, should be good till 11!  Hey, birdie said they were only a half hour late opening it today. I think 9:30 is the scheduled opening.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
thanks all! I like camps advice best lol

this would be hard to on a day trip depending what time the ticket office opens...for years there was a guy who would lap all day on an old set of k2's with klister
Drive to the end of Vandonsel Rd and go from there. There's room that you can get off the road and park. You'll know when you're at the end. You can take off from there but seriously look out for sleds. It's getting fast around here now 👍
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by Cornhead
It’s funny how they require a $25 skinning pass, but I erroneously skied all of last season with my prior years season pass hanging on my jacket. I know it’s a liability issue, and $25 is nominal. However, just for the fun of it, I put last year‘s season pass on my jacket, and I’m skiing with this year‘s season pass in my pocket. My goal is to see if I can get through another ski season with an old season pass.
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
In reply to this post by billyymc
How is different from a person skiing down the trail and stopping on the side than a person slowly walking up it?
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
radskier wrote
How is different from a person skiing down the trail and stopping on the side than a person slowly walking up it?
A skier skiing down can choose where they stop. Ideally they won't stop in dumb places like over blind rollers / drop offs or around sharp curves. In fact it may even be part of the skier responsibility code to not stop in stupid places.

A skier skinning up doesn't have that same option - they're going to be moving slowly up and could at times be in those dangerous places where a smart skier going downhill wouldn't choose to stop.

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
It’s funny how they require a $25 skinning pass, but I erroneously skied all of last season with my prior years season pass hanging on my jacket. I know it’s a liability issue, and $25 is nominal. However, just for the fun of it, I put last year‘s season pass on my jacket, and I’m skiing with this year‘s season pass in my pocket. My goal is to see if I can get through another ski season with an old season pass.
RJ - the skinning pass looks EXACTLY like a season pass with the exception of the words on it - under your name is says
"Skinning Pass." Everything else is the same - even says 19/20 Season Pass on it. I'm sure I could get on the lift with it. I wouldn't, because that's theft of services, but you think they'd make it a different color or something.

Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
The 64 thousand dollar question is...Is there a Greekenburg skinning pass? Also, can I skin at the Freedom Pass mountains with a Greek skinning pass? I don't care, I don't skin.

As far as uphill traffic being a hazard, I don't think it much, if any, more hazardous than downhill traffic. Probably less hazardous since a skinner won't be making any sudden unpredictable moves that a downhill skier you're overtaking might.
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
Where are the blind rollers, drop offs, and sharp curves at gp?  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by radskier
radskier wrote
Where are the blind rollers, drop offs, and sharp curves at gp?
I didn't say there were any. You should read better. I answered your question about the differences between a downhill skier stopping, and an uphill skier. I didn't say those conditions exist at Greek.

Most of Greek's trails are pretty darn straight down the hill. Off the top of my head the only place I can think of where visibility down the hill would be an issue with someone coming up the sides might possibly be on Trojan.

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Cornhead wrote
I don't care, I don't skin.

Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I would love to hear how Trojan and Mars were today. That's my plan for tomorrow.

Today, I alternated between Iliad, which had lots of cookies and Karyatis/Stoic where there was nice snow.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
billyymc wrote
...but you think they'd make it a different color or something.
They used to change the graphics each year, but for the past three seasons they kept the graphics the same, with only the date changing. The lift attendants are not necessarily looking at the dates, and they are not using the scanners to scan the passes. It’s likely a good chunk of lost revenue with scammers out there, and individuals borrowing friends and family members passes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by wonderpony
wonderpony wrote
I would love to hear how Trojan and Mars were today. That's my plan for tomorrow.

Today, I alternated between Iliad, which had lots of cookies and Karyatis/Stoic where there was nice snow.

WP
Mars was my favorite trail of the day followed by Trojan and Odyssey. I would agree that Iliad was less than desirable.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Perfect!  Thanks!

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
I was teaching on Castor, Trojan and Marathon, all with fresh manmade and an inch of natural snow yesterday. With Chair 2 open Caster was open from the top, lessening the crowd on Karyatis. Illiad was chunky. It was busy, but with all chairs open, you could easily avoid the Visions scrum. In fact I didn't ride Visions all day. Lots of folks were telling me they were back at Greek from years ago, or were doing it for the first time, and were impressed the relatively short lines and uncrowded slopes. I found this kind of funny given how much we complain about things.

Oh, and all the seat pads on Visions have been replaced in the last couple of weeks. This was something that had been planned for before Thanksgiving, but it snowed.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Wonderful!  I skied Mars today and it was lovely.  By the time I got there, at a lazy 9:40, enough people had been down it that the corduroy was gone.  No line, nice conditions, and as a bonus, I met Camp.

Stupid, pesky day job will interfere with what will probably be another nice day.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
How much new snow fell today Sunday February 2 2020
25 New feet of snow at Greek
I hear they are hiring bomb demolition teams to clean it all off the trails
 Dan drive u. Mr Cornhead ? Lol.
both through base lodged at Greek at 500 mph is rumored .
Hopefully magiencwnt5 ski snowboard day
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by Dougski
Dougski wrote
Oh, and all the seat pads on Visions have been replaced in the last couple of weeks. This was something that had been planned for before Thanksgiving, but it snowed.
I had noticed that some of them were really starting to deteriorate. I’m glad to hear that they had the wherewithal to replace them. It could not have been an easy job, as it appears as though they are screwed on.

On a completely different note, did anyone ski the Olympian today? I hit it, but the coverage was not great by any means. Every turn left a track of brown. I was one and done with it.
1 ... 31323334353637 ... 53