classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1058 messages Options
1 ... 26272829303132 ... 53
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

Brownski
This is all the Federal Writers Project (WPA sponsored- not actually part of the CCC) had to say about your area.

This the book itโ€™s from

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
That's pretty cool

720 very ... HA!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
It looks like Greek blew a snow making pipe yesterday afternoon, as snow making was down. Hopefully, they got it repaired.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
This post was updated on .
Rj1972 wrote
It looks like Greek blew a snow making pipe yesterday afternoon, as snow making was down. Hopefully, they got it repaired.
Great, something else to bitch about.๐Ÿ˜‰ Camp, Pro, very cool pics and history. Now I understand why you so staunchly defend GP. Hey, I consider GP home too. I've been a passholder for 25 yrs. I think we all want to see GP succeed and be the best they can be. Sorry if it comes across as whining.

I live exactly equidistance from GP and Elk. Even if an Elk pass weren't nearly double a GP pass I would choose GP over Elk. The terrain at GP is so much more interesting than Elk. Zero tree skiing at Elk. Elk has the edge on grooming and bumps, snowmaking too, though that has changed now I'd say. Trees baby!

Oh, Elk has it over GP on views from the top, there's not much to see, but you can see it for a loooong way.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
Yeah at the bottom of Stoic ---- I know they were working on it last night so hopefully they get it back up and running, as you say.

I would assume they be replacing those pipes over this coming summer.  Fingers crossed.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Cornhead wrote
Rj1972 wrote
Great, something else to bitch about.๐Ÿ˜‰ Camp, Pro, very cool pics and history. Now I understand why you so staunchly defend GP. Hey, I consider GP home too. I've been a passholder for 25 yrs. I think we all want to see GP succeed and be the best they can be. Sorry if it comes across as whining.

I live exactly equidistance from GP and Elk. Even if an Elk pass weren't nearly double a GP pass I would choose GP over Elk. The terrain at GP is so much more interesting than Elk. Zero tree skiing at Elk. Elk has the edge on grooming and bumps, snowmaking too, though that has changed now I'd say. Trees baby!

Oh, Elk has it over GP on views from the top, there's not much to see, but you can see it for a loooong way.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Camp, now that we've buried the hatchet...can I ride bitch on your sled?!

I do think it'd be fun to get towed behind one on skis. I think of that when we go to Snow Ridge and see acres and acres of fresh snow. My buddy in PA has a bunch of land, a sled, and a water ski tow rope. If it ever snows again, might have to give it a go.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
NO!

Reply | Threaded
|

Turd Ferguson
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Rj1972 wrote
Yeah at the bottom of Stoic ---- I know they were working on it last night so hopefully they get it back up and running, as you say.

I would assume they be replacing those pipes over this coming summer.  Fingers crossed.
I was there last night, those hill guys were working hard at it all evening, they definitely deserve some praise on that.  They had it wrapped up by closing, and after the lifts were closed, patrol was out there pulling down all of the fencing and stuff from around the area, I imagine it's groomed out by now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
Can I try getting pulled behind the sled too?

Is this even legal in NY? Is it safe?

No matter, I'd like to try it too!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Turd Ferguson
Turd Ferguson wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Rj1972 wrote

I was there last night, those hill guys were working hard at it all evening, they definitely deserve some praise on that.  They had it wrapped up by closing, and after the lifts were closed, patrol was out there pulling down all of the fencing and stuff from around the area, I imagine it's groomed out by now.
Great news! Our hill crew are seriously dedicated and they do deserve all the credit in the world.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Dougski
Dougski wrote
Can I try getting pulled behind the sled too?

That only happens one day in the spring. It was the day of the boat races.

Dougski wrote

Is this even legal in NY? Is it safe?

It's legal

It's far from safe

Dougski wrote

I'll be glad to tow ya. Best hang on!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by Turd Ferguson
Turd Ferguson wrote
I'm glad they got it repaired. They don't need to lose good snow making weather. If it's the area I'm thinking of at the bottom of the Stoic, I believe they had an issue there either earlier this year or last. I believe all of the pipe running up the lower platonic was replaced within the last few years. My guess is that this was a junction on the Stoic that may not have been replaced.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Next Friday is TeleMarkDown Freeheel Friday Fest

I may play hookey
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
It's legal

It's far from safe

Dougski wrote

I'll be glad to tow ya. Best hang on!
I want to try this too, unless WonderPony is willing to bring her horse over for some proper equine skijoring.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I am not sure that Draco is your best bet.  But, it would be fun to try with horse that knows how to drag something behind him!

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I understand completely. Draco is a great name though.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Thanks! He was named after Draco the Dragon.  When he was young, he was more like Draco Malfoy and he still has his moments.

Still, it would be fun to find a horse for skijoring! If anyone ever finds one, I would be willing to ride and pull people. ๐Ÿ˜

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Harvey
Greek Peak Conditions puts The Forum over the top for our first 100 post day of the season, yesterday!

ORDA $147 Million comin up on the outside rail!

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." โ€”Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by wonderpony
A little birdie told me lift 4 is now experiencing mechanical failure, not whining, just saying. Man, the combo of staff that can't make it to work and old equipment sure isn't a good combination.
1 ... 26272829303132 ... 53