classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1058 messages Options
1 ... 30313233343536 ... 53
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
If you can go today I'd say it will be damn good. A surprise 2 - tree inches of LE is on the ground and it's still lightly snowing.
Gotta love that surprise LE
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
This post was updated on .
So Sunday was Jersey Day. I Googled for NJ Discount at Greek and found the club site. It looks like to take advantage of the discount you had to be a member of the NJSSC and be a resident of NJ. And you had to prove both when you showed up.

I was there from 9 to 5:30. There was little evidence that many NJ folks were taking advantage of the discount. Haven't talked to sales folks though. I saw no Jersey plates, and had no Jersey lesson takers. Nobody I talked to on the lift said they were from NJ. No mention of it from management. We talked about the racers because Odyssey was closed, to expect a big bunch of first time college Phys Ed morons, and the usual crowd of fun loving local kid ski clubbers.

Yes, we were slammed with lesson takers yesterday. Lots of walk up lesson takers but mostly ski clubbers and college PE classes. I love teaching the ski club kids. They really want to be there, are having fun, and want to improve. The college PE students are another story. About a quarter of them show up without warm clothing, even after the first day.  And since they are taking skiing for PE credit it's a paperwork drill because many of them don't really want to actually ski. They'd rather sit inside with a computer, supposedly studying. So we have to take attendance and the schools have staff walking around the base buildings making sure they are not inside, but out on the slopes "practicing" skiing after they finish the lesson!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Chair 2 scheduled to open Friday

Starting 2/3 chair 2 and 5 are scheduled to be open 5 days a week

All info per the snow phone
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote

Joy to the world!

It's nice of them to get chair 3 open now that it's nearly February.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Rj1972 wrote
campgottagopee wrote

Joy to the world!

Chair 2, 3 is the bunny hill chair. Yeah, this winter sucks, a big fat bird told me things have been pretty decent lately with the new crust with a little snow on top. Not powder for sure, but better than dirt.
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
Chairs 2 and 5 haven’t been used liked that in decades. Any bets on which one breaks down first?
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
Was skiing today. It was very nice. And Chair 2 may be open tomorrow.  We have a lot of kids coming and lots of snow on Castor from last few days of weirdly wintery weather. Plus snow makers are blasting up there, as they are wherever cover is thin. We are now filling in thin areas all over.  Zeus, Mars, Marathon are all set up or getting snow. Glades are still closed though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by radskier
Yeah, I meant to say chair 2.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
campgottagopee wrote

Joy to the world!

Considering Whiteface, a major ski area in the NE (arguably one of the best), who also enjoys a blank checkbook, just opened up the Wilmington trail I'd say we're right on target given the conditions we've had this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Greek Peak was off to a booming start this season, but as seems to be the new norm, the unseasonable weather created a number of setbacks. I like to see chair 2 open early, as it affords the beginners and school groups one of the best beginner trails in the region.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
I've skiied the last 4 days and conditions have been improving daily. The grooming is the best we've had all season and now they are blowing nice light fluffy powder where we have good bases established. The guns are still on the wet side where more base is needed like on Castor and parts of Mars Hill. Its amazing how much conditions improve when we go for a week without rain. Greek's aggressive snowmaking has really paid off this year!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Dougski
Dougski wrote
 Glades are still closed though.
They may be closed, but a formerly poleless birdie sent me these pics. He said it was skiing pretty nicely with the crust layer beneath. Rock skis suggested, however.

Smartest ski move I've made this season is keeping mine in the car. Salvaged a couple otherwise ho hum days with them. They are pretty squirly on all but the softest groomers, but they still ski the ungroomed great. Looking forward to retiring my current skis to rock skis, at least I'll have some edges then.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
No chair 2 but Alsos Glade is open off ch 5. Bossman says chair 2 will open tomorrow.  I expect this weekend will be best skiing conditions this season so far. Pray for no rain.Certainly today is sseet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
Marathon is open
.snow made on it last night. No snow makers running on it now. Lower Caster is open with big fan snowmakers blasting it. Not recommended for tonight but it's open, will probably be fantastic tomorrow and during the weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
this is great! according to fb kennedy sf skiing well too so gonna try to make it up. I'd like to check out some new skins as well, anybody know if there is an uphill policy? I've seen folks skinning in the past but not sure if there's anything official?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission  --- skin up 5, doesn't open until 9 anyAways

Keep an eye/ear open while in KSF sleds up there now too
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
this is great! according to fb kennedy sf skiing well too so gonna try to make it up. I'd like to check out some new skins as well, anybody know if there is an uphill policy? I've seen folks skinning in the past but not sure if there's anything official?
Yes they have an official skinning policy. Skinning pass is $25 for the season, and other than the words Skinning Pass below your name look exactly like a regular season pass. If you have a regular season pass you do not need the skinning pass, but you do need to get their Skinning Waiver and sign/return it (or sign it at the customer service desk). The waiver states their official policies for skinning.

Per the policy you can only skin up from 6:30 am to when lifts open, and can only skin up Alpha and Castor on skiers right side of the trail. Before Castor was open they allowed skinning up Karyatis this year. Supposed to wear reflective clothing and a headlamp when skinning before dawn.

Reply | Threaded
|

MogulMaster
Banned User
So no skinning up lift 5.  And only before hours is kind of a joke.  That's what we need.  More rules.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
thanks all! I like camps advice best lol

this would be hard to on a day trip depending what time the ticket office opens...for years there was a guy who would lap all day on an old set of k2's with klister
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
gorgonzola wrote
thanks all! I like camps advice best lol

this would be hard to on a day trip depending what time the ticket office opens...for years there was a guy who would lap all day on an old set of k2's with klister
I'm just saying what their official policy is, since you asked. I doubt they enforce much of it except perhaps the no skinning once the lifts are spinning rule.
1 ... 30313233343536 ... 53