It's being evacuated

That sucks
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

MogulMaster
Banned User
Yep first evac for me.  They just came by and told us.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Crazy good out there today too, unless you're one of these people.
Sorry about the whining
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MogulMaster
I was evacuated off that same chair 10ish years ago. It's actually kinda fun, waiting for them to get to you is the shitty part. I want to say they bought everyone a beer that got evacuated that day.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Actually our crew is on that lift, from the text I'm getting I'd say they're having a blast!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
campgottagopee wrote
Actually our crew is on that lift, from the text I'm getting I'd say they're having a blast!!
Only you could put a positive "spin", pun intended, on a lift breaking down.

I think I may have been the cause. I sit on my poles, I usually pull them out before getting off the chair. Sometimes I stand on my skis and pull the poles out as I'm standing up. I tried this today on 5. Well, the seats were covered with ice. I believe my poles froze to the seat. As I yanked on the poles they didn't come. They may have been frozen to my ass, I'm not sure. Anyway, they fell to the ramp. A couple chairs tried in vain to pick them up. One person crashed exiting the ramp. I guess the liftie decided to stop the lift. It stopped more abruptly than normally. I was afraid the people on the chair just before the ramp were going to get dumped off their chair. I grabbed my poles and skied back to the front side.

So, I may, or may not, have contributed to:
Torn covers on the quad seats

Two conveyor breakdowns on the quad

The breakdown, and evacuation, of chair 5 today.

Or, maybe I had nothing to do with the lift breaking. I noticed oil on my skis today, I assume from chair 5.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I was wondering what was going on.  I skied Trojan today because of the race and I needed to get out of GP by 10:30ish.  (Translation: I left at 11.)  Anyhow, for the first 5 or 6 trips up, people were hanging a left off of chair 4, then all of a sudden the ropes went up.

That said, I have watched ski patrol practicing evacuations.  They are phenomenal!  Kudos to them for getting everybody off safely and, of course, that does suck for everyone who got stuck on the lift.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

MogulMaster
Banned User
Yes the unloading went very smoothly.  Glad I got to experience it.  Best part is all the new friends I have.  
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
This post was updated on .
So, how did the get you down from the lift?  I have only watched once.  My biggest question is how do they get the rope up and over for you to belay down on?

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

MogulMaster
Banned User
They toss the rope over the cable.  They use a t bar to sit on with a chain around torso under arms.  They just swing the rope over the chair and slide it to the next chair when they are done.  They were very good.  I'm sure they practice a lot with the broken lift system at Greek in place.
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
I was on that side when the chair went down. Skied to the bottom and saw a long line. Looked up and saw the chair stopped. I must have been one of the last people off before it stopped. A mechanic was racing back and forth on a snowmobile. Took the shuttle back to the lodge.
Just before I left at 2:00 they announced that chair 2 was starting. When I left I was surprised to see chair 5 running again.
Got there for opening. Great conditions. Chair 5 side had the best conditions. Nice soft powder on skiers right.
Reply | Threaded
|

MogulMaster
Banned User
Wow they opened chair 2 at 2pm?  They announced it was going to open at 11am.  I'm surprised they were 3 hours late opening it especially after lift 5 went down and the place was a zoo.  No scratch that.  Not surprised.  Nothing surprises me there anymore.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Hope y’all made some new friends, funny / not funny !
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Cornhead wrote
campgottagopee wrote
A few of Camp's crew are stuck on a cruise ship quarantined for the coronavirus. But they're having a fucking blast.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
billyymc wrote
Cornhead wrote
campgottagopee wrote
A few of Camp's crew are stuck on a cruise ship quarantined for the coronavirus. But they're having a fucking blast.
Post of the year!
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
The only thing that sucked today was having to quit because my legs got tired.  I image GP is rocking this afternoon.  When I left at 11:30, there was steady traffic making its way towards GP.  What a fabulous weekend!

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Yes, it was a great three days... finally.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Our first run on East yesterday was on Arcadian Gate right after they dropped the rope. We had a great time until the lift died, and we had to be evacuated. It was quite a rollback. Fortunately after being evacuated, we were near the top, so were able to skate up to Poseidon and ski down rather than skiing to the bottom of Mars and taking the shuttle bus.

They really need to put a lift replacement plan in place, unless they already have one, which I doubt, given the used lift they purchased last year from Windham.
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
Skied Greek tonight, got to say it was nice to bounce between chair 2 and 4. I haven’t rode chair 2 at night for years. I forgot you can ski it many ways when all trails are open. Very good night all and all.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by wonderpony
wonderpony wrote
My biggest question is how do they get the rope up and over for you to belay down on?
I've seen two ways.  First is throwing a baseball or hockey puck over.  The ball/puck has a long piece of twine attached to it.  Once that is over, the twine is tied to a larger rope and that is hauled over.

The second way is by firing a projectile over (with twine attached).  The projectile looks like one of those floaty things that are used in Olympic pools to keep the lane ropes floating.  It's a very basic gun with a .22 shell.

Throwing the rope over is done at every tower.  Once the highest elevation chair is empty, the crew flicks the rope over the chair's grip and the belaying process starts again.  There is a boomerang-shaped "rope saver" tube that protects the belaying rope from the haul rope (chair cable).

This chair looks easy to evac.  The chair below at Park City, which goes over a snowmaking pond, would be considerably more difficult.

Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
1 ... 33343536373839 ... 53