classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1058 messages Options
1 ... 34353637383940 ... 53
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

Joneski73
Skied today.  Conditions were great, trees skied great too.  Visibility.... not so much.  Upper mountain was fogged in most of the day.  I skied a full day and I don’t recall a single lift stoppage either 👍
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I’m out of town for the week, but should be back next weekend. A buddy said it was single digit temps today with blue bird skies, and they had the snow guns fired up.

I hope everyone has a nice week of skiing and boarding.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Where was everybody today? Yes, it was stupid cold early, but conditions were great!  The only time there was a lift line was when someone fell at the top of the quad and it took a while to get it restarted. But, they opened chair one pretty quickly. I did get stuck in it for a bit later in the morning.  But, it ran just fine for my next three runs.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
This post was updated on .
Stellar conditions today at Greek. -11° at opening. No chair 5 til probably around 11. They hadn't finished grooming was the answer given by ski patrol. Speaking of chair 5, beware. A couple skied onto the loading platform behind an empty chair. The lift stopped, the chairs began rolling back. It rolled back far enough, maybe 12 ft, that it swept the lady on the inside off of the loading platform into a heap on the ground. Her partner was able to side step to the right off the platform and avoid the chair. Is a catastrophic roll back in chair 5's future? I wouldn't bet against it.

I was about to make my last run before break when I shared a chair with a skier from Ohio. I asked him how he ended up at Greek Peak of all places. He said he had Liftopia credits and was hoping to use them at Wildcat, but since their purchase, they weren't available. I postponed my break and showed him around, warned him of chair 5. We did ski it. He was impressed with my skiing and I told him it was a result of learning to ski at a real mountain like Greek, not some snow covered garbage dump in Ohio.😉

Anyway, everything skied great. The moon was even up early in the morning before setting behind Greek's mighty summit.

Dressed for the cold. Only thing that got a little cold was my toes. On the hill from 8:15 to 1. Then back out till 3. 20° felt balmy after break.

Fields

Snowmakers jacket around 8AM.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Corn or anyone, talk to me about rollback.There is a brake that is engaged whenever the drive isn't spinning, it's hydrolic and low on fluid? Or...

How does that happen?

I felt a little rollback once, just a few inches, and it is creepy.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
12 feet is an awful long way to roll back. Did the chair keep operating?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Corn or anyone, talk to me about rollback.There is a brake that is engaged whenever the drive isn't spinning, it's hydrolic and low on fluid? Or...
Lack of pressure sounds plausible.
My understanding is that a little play when a lift stops is normal but if it can be measured in feet, something is badly wrong. If you can actually see it go backwards as opposed to just a little bounce when it comes to a stop, something is wrong. I would definitely have hit the E brake if I saw that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote

How does that happen?

I heard it rolled back twice before it was evacuated last weekend. We shared a chair with patrol after the lady was pushed off the platform by the chair. I told him the story, he asked how far it rolled back and seemed shocked it rolled back that much. To me the more momentum that builds, the harder it is to stop, and the more risk of continuing to roll.

I sure hope no one gets injured, or worse. It'd be tough for Camp to put a positive spin on that. Even the minor rollback today could've easily injured that couple. Yes Brownski, the chair kept operating.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Brownski
Harvey wrote
There is a brake that is engaged whenever the drive isn't spinning, it's hydrolic and low on fluid? Or...

I think there are two brakes, the motor brake and the e-brake.  You can see an e-brake caliper on the bullwheel (from the return station that's powering the lift).

You may recall the rollback in Georgia (Russia) a few years ago.  They did a test in Colorado in 1990.  Fast forward to about 5:20.  Creepy, indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4WPSZojtyE
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
Harvey wrote
D.B. Cooper wrote
You may recall the rollback in Georgia (Russia) a few years ago.
I've often armchair quarterbacked and wondered why a number of people didn't jump off that lift in Georgia even though everyone on the ground was yelling at them to do so. I wonder if I would've frozen -- hopefully not.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I assume they were frozen by fear or didn’t realize the seriousness of it in the moment. That was a horrific video
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
In reply to this post by Cornhead
$77 for the chance of a lifetime experience if you survive. Think about all the friends you’ll meet. Ski patrol, fire and rescue, emts, icu nurses, insurance collectors. Make sure to hit up the selfie station and have a bimimap bowel before you go.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Meanwhile, chair 4 never stopped for the two hours I rode it and Trojan was lovely.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rt on WP
Chair 4 is where it's at
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Their new V.P. of Sales and Marketing did a fine job with this.
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
And they raised the price of a pass to $550.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
radskier wrote
And they raised the price of a pass to $550.
How much was the pass last year? I don’t recall off the top of my head.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I think it was $475.
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
Looks like the “resort” fee is 15% for next years pass.
1 ... 34353637383940 ... 53