classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1058 messages Options
1 ... 35363738394041 ... 53
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

Cornhead
Inflation is at 2.5%, Greek raises season pass price 16%, WTF. Are other mountains upping their passes this much? I doubt it.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Nobody likes to spend more money, nobody. At least we're seeing improvements on the ski side in snowmaking. I'm guessing those improvements will continue for all to benefit from it. We also have an owner who isn't taking a paycheck out of the place. It's nice to see the monies going back into the hill.

Ski day 88 --- you get what you pay for
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by radskier
Oh my, that a pretty cheap price to get a ride on a lift up a mountain for a  season.  What should the price be? What would make you happy?
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
tjf1967 wrote
Oh my, that a pretty cheap price to get a ride on a lift up a mountain for a  season.  What should the price be? What would make you happy?
Well, at least part way up the mountain. Consider the evac as adventure center south, no extra charge.
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
In reply to this post by tjf1967
$425 would be pushing it for gp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Oh that stinks. So you won't be skiing Greek next year.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by radskier
Big D
If GP is only worth $425 to you, why do you continue to buy a pass each year.
I can't wait to get my pass again. Don't care how much it is. It will be worth it to me, it's the best skiing in CNY.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I would guess that if somebody were motivated enough, they could ask for a budget and find out the reasons for the increase.  

I, however, am lazy.  I have the next three days off.  I am going to ride my pony, ski before it gets too warm, do yoga and drink wine. If all goes as planned, Monday will be day 23 for me.  $475 divided by 23 is $20 a day.  That does not suck.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Big D
I can't wait to get my pass again. Don't care how much it is. It will be worth it to me, it's the best skiing in CNY.
You planning so ski again Camp?

So I decided to pick up a GP season pass for next year today. I broke it down like this: I can use it for the rest of this season (because this year I didnt' have one), I can use it for next season, I'll use it at least a few times for some downhill MTBing this summer, and I'll probably get a couple days somewhere at the Freedom pass areas as well.

So yes they increased the price quite a bit (although it's been a few years since the previous increase), but when I look at it that way the value was quite decent for me. This season I have got an Ikon pass, and I"ll get a pretty good number of days on it. I have 5 at Steamboat, and I have a two week trip to Big Sky and Jackson Hole in March. But I haven't used it a single time in the east yet. Partially because the season got off to a slow start, but reality is hopping in the car every other weekend and driving to Vermont for a couple days of skiing just hasn't happened.

That said, today I almost regretted my decision. I don't know what the problems are with Greek's lifts, but they have got to figure some shit out. I had more stopped time today at Greek than I've had all year in all my other ski days combined. Chair 5 stopped for a long stretch - probably close to 10 minutes - and when we got to the top the liftie was apologizing for it as if to reassure people they weren't goign to be evac'd off the lift. It continued to stop frequently. The quad stopped repeatedly, and the stupid belt wasn't sync'd well with the chairs so you almost slid off the end before the chair scooped you up. And more than any other place I've ever skied, there is a consistent traffic jam at the entrance to the quad...I think it's because there isnt' enough room there. They have the bridge coming across from the lodge, plus they line up the ski racks right there...and people just pile up. Song and Lab both have old lifts, but they run SO much better. Greek needs to fix their lift operations all around.

And the parking lot makes the lift operations seem perfect. I can't even begin to describe how bad the parking lot is. Bring a truck, and be prepared for no rules at all about where or how you park.

The skiing was quite good today - fast groomers. Off the groomed was mostly solid but covered well if you wanted to jump on it.

GP - fix the simple shit like lifts and parking. You're SO close to being a really good place to ski.

Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
IMO, the quad issue is newbies and groups who are too focused on who is going to be where at what time to actually focus on the fact that they have to either get on the lift or get the heck out of the way.  They also congregate at the entrance to the lift lines.  That's why I arrive early, leave early and leave the quad and hide on other lifts.  You can't fix stupid.

As far as the parking lot, I feel it.  I have a Honda Fit, after my beloved Suzuki SX4 died.  Not much clearance with the Fit. I worry that we are going to get sucked into a hole in the parking lot and never return.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
campgottagopee wrote
 Don't care how much it is. It will be worth it to me, it's the best skiing in CNY.
Yeah, no price is too high for the best skiing in CNY.  In fact, screw the Cats, Daks, Greens, Whites, Sierras, Rockies, Andes, and Alps, Greek Peak is the best!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
Lol
That price for everything ya kinda going up and fix broke stuff I sure Bob cornhead ok with that
Just seems like Opssite to me also
Sure if I was skiier their I would not be thrilled at all
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Last I knew, none of those were in Central NY.
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
Pretty simple really, do some math. If it pays to buy a pass with the amount of days you ski Greek get one if not don’t.
I haven’t had a pass at Greek for 3 or 4 seasons and opted to get a night pass at Elk. Now that they have cut back on hours I’ve been skiing Greek more. I do enjoy Greek more but it’s 15 minutes more each way so Elk was nice change of pace.
So now I’m thinking get a Greek pass and bounce off to Elk when conditions warrant next year. Probably should also mention I ski nights mostly, but even with that if I got a Greek pass it would pay for itself. Wish Greek sold night season passes at a lower price point.
I like where Greek is heading, yeah the lifts suck but they are making snow whenever they can. And got to say skiing today the line got longer than it should of been and and fellow came out and started pairing up people so they had full chairs. The line disappeared after about 5 chairs, who’d think 🤔.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
scrundy wrote
Pretty simple really, do some math. If it pays to buy a pass with the amount of days you ski Greek get one if not don’t.
I think the reason the argument gets so emotional about Greek is because they're starting to ask for a relatively premium price, but they still haven't (and appear to not be willing to) address discontent over their lift operations. They consistently open lifts later than published times, or not at all. The quad is a perennial clusterfuck on many levels and they won't put in a real effort to deal with that. And Chair 5 is jenky enough that people who are aware are questioning whether it's safe to ride, and GP isn't being transparent about what the problems and solutions are for it.

As I said above I did buy a pass for next year. I figure between this season and next I'll get at least 20 days of skiing out of it, plus 3 to 6 days of MTBing. Straight math says that's decent value. But add in the frustration and possible safety factors of they way Greek runs their lift operations, and the math isn't as clear.

I'll also say that as they bring in people from exotic places like New Jersey and Long Island, the place is taking on a distinct Hunter West type of vibe. The great thing about that is you can park absolutely anywhere with complete immunity.

At the moment I feel like $550 is my max for a GP pass, ever.

Edit to add - I think couples and families with young kids got the worst of the pricing change. There's no discount until the third pass, and then it's a 10% discount so a family of 3 costs nearly $1,500.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by billyymc
Good God yes! The only reason I don't ski now is due to my bad knee, it just can't take it. I'd have it fixed by now but my ins is terrible. Next year I'll be on my wife's ins which is amazingly good.

Believe me I miss it.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by wonderpony
wonderpony wrote
Last I knew, none of those were in Central NY.
Apparently he cannot understand that WP. For the choices we have here GP is the clear winner in my book. They should be more money than the others because they're that much better IMO
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
campgottagopee wrote
Big D
Hey Mr. CampBudLight, I AM NOT RADSKIER!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Gotcha....my bad

P.s. I don't like bud light
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
I think the $550 pass price represents a good value for what GP has to offer, if you can get the ski days in.  This year I haven’t been able to do that as I’m only at day 5 and that might be it for me for this season at GP.  I’ll be traveling a good portion of the month of March and if I can get another day in it will most likely be at Plattekill.  

I don’t plan on buying a pass for next year, but if early sales are now going to start in mid February vs March 1st, I’ll get one next season and get close to a season and a half out of it similar to Billy’s strategy.

I skied yesterday with my wife, her first and probably only time out this year, conditions were great with awesome coverage.  The only lift issue was the usual loading area cluster on the quad.  I don’t recall any stoppages, but did notice the slight bounce on chair 5 that people have been talking about that wasn’t there earlier in the season.  

Yes, the parking lot is a mess.  There was one pothole that easily could have swallowed WP’s Honda Fit.
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
1 ... 35363738394041 ... 53