183 messages Options
123456 ... 10
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hickory Ski Center Conditions

Adk Jeff
This post was updated on .
We (me & my 6-yr-old son, Daniel) skied Hickory Sunday afternoon and had a great time.  The steep stuff up top could use another round of snow but is certainly skiable - pretty similar to the condition of many of the glades at Gore right now.  The lower mountain is in great shape and we found great conditions on the trails, powder on the edges, and even some untracked lines in the woods.  The next storm should set the mountain up in great shape for the coming weekend and Telefest the weekend after.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hickory got the goods too. The report I got said two feet:

Keep Hickory in mind for Saturday. And any warm day if you like epic corn bumps.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
Harv-

Let me see if I can pencil that into my schedule.  Oh darn, I have a previous engagement this Saturday, I'm supposed to be training... @ Hickory.  Hmm... maybe we can do a multi-discipline, on-any-gear all day clinic!  Course Description sumthin' like "Go fast, take chances". Heck, with all this pow-pow you don't want to get out of the fall-line. Just don't bark up the wrong tree, and don't forget to Hydrate and wait, there's more; bring plenty of carbs and beverages for the mandatory de-briefing after the ride up/slide down session to refuel.

Should be very interesting to see & ski/ride with who can make it, if they choose to do so.

As a Luminary once said "Think you're an expert?  Ski Hickory, find out."  And as JP is apt to say, "Leave home now! Get to the Mountains."  Sound advice.  

Just saying.  

All the best .
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Could this be the best weekend at Hickory yet?

Hickory.....It's Hard!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
These ski racks had to be moved:

Hey guys don't mess up  the freshies ok?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
now that's the type of pic i like to see..no bull sh&t with the snow amounts..

unfortunately I think tomorrows and Fridays rain will have quite a negative impact
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I left Gore at noon today and it was still below freezing in W'Burg.  I think a good portion will fall as snow and the QPF bullseye seems to be south of the area...more like Albanyish.  There is a lot of snow up there!  This is March and the weather rollercoaster season.  Although I can't be there, I have a feeling tomorrow morning will be a good time to be at Gore or Whiteface.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Puking snow in Queensbury at 7:30 a.m. Thursday, March 10.  We have about 5 inches so far.  As I drove south it switched to sleet around Saratoga.  Hope it stays south.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
The forecast is for sun and mid 40's both days this weekend.  It could make for an awesome corn fest at Hickory.  The overnight temps Friday night are forecast to be 27, which isn't too bad, and will make for some nice freeze thaw for the  corn harvest.  I'm shooting to be at Hickory on Saturday.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Today at Hickory Ski Center

Snowhunter
In reply to this post by Harvey
WOW!  Just visiting some old posts.  I was there the day Jason made those first tracks!  We were all pretty excited at the prospect of finally skiing the mountain.  I can't wait for this season to get going.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hickory Conditions

ml242
This post was updated on .
From hickory today:

Well, you guessed it - we're going for the gold tomorrow and opening from the top! Ridge Run is the only planned trail from the top now, but Ski Patrol will assess other trails on Saturday. Lower mountain will be 100% and groomed.

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris

The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From Hickory Ski Center:

"We'd need 16' of fluff to open...  or a foot of dense. We're watching closely. If we get the snow, and it falls when predicted it'll likely be a Sunday opening.

We'll update as we know more."
Reply | Threaded
|

hickory-j
Bump.

Tommorrow (Saturday) is on the table if we get the snow we need. It's going to be call-ahead/check the site in the morning status. We're closed until we say we're open  I'll have the site, Facebook and voicemail updated by 7:30 tomorrow when operations and patrol give an update.
Reply | Threaded
|

hickory-j
Nope.  Only picked up 6"... less than half of what we needed. We do plan to have the grill open today and sledding on the bunny hill, so stop in after some turns at Gore for a good ol' Hickory afternoon... sans skiing
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
I love Hickory but this is getting old.  No snow making, no skiing.  It's time for someone to pull the trigger, make a commitment and get this gem of a mountain going!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Facebook:

sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
has anyone hiked up? wondering if it is worth it.  thanks
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
i posted saturdays (1/4/14) conditions at hickory to trip reports. it probably should of gone here.
it is a short video of snow coverage on jack rabbit . not bad , no wind, not to cold. decent coverage.
limited trail count
Reply | Threaded
|

CUontheslopes131
Skied at Hickory on Sunday with 4 other ski clubbers. Only the lower mountain was open. The hill received about 2" of snow on Saturday night, which was something of a mixed blessing. The new snow definitely helped the surface, but gave the impression of obscuring rocks. I was actually surprised at how few rocks I hit. The runs off the T-bar all skied pretty well. It was the first time at Hickory for the 4 people I skied with and they all really enjoyed the experience, even with only limited terrain open. The lodge fireplace (of which there are so many pictures on this site) continues to be a big hit. My apologies for no pictures.

With the forecast calling for more snow this week, Hickory will certainly be open next weekend and depending on the amount received, the upper mountain is a possibility.
123456 ... 10