classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
420 messages Options
1 ... 161718192021
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lift Ticket Prices for 14-15

PeeTex
Maybe he's seeing the local relief clinic to see if they can do anything about that rectal cranial inversion.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Hahahahhahaha.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Thehof
Thehof wrote
I look at the price this way. $89
Divided lets say 15 runs. That's about 6 bucks a lift. A don't know but would you rather pay 6 bucks to get up or walk
At this point I'm ok with the skinning up to get your turns. Def be less people which means better snow.  

And less impacts on climate change so winters won't disappear

And everyone knows the coolest peeps are skinners.

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
ScottyJack wrote
Thehof wrote
I look at the price this way. $89
Divided lets say 15 runs. That's about 6 bucks a lift. A don't know but would you rather pay 6 bucks to get up or walk
At this point I'm ok with the skinning up to get your turns. Def be less people which means better snow.  

And less impacts on climate change so winters won't disappear

And everyone knows the coolest peeps are skinners.
I didn't start earning for those reasons, I did it for the solitude, scenery and the health benefits. Years ago I found that even though I was skiing a lot, I was softer in the spring than I was in the fall. My guess is that if your metric was time sliding/$ and you included equipment costs you still would be better off with a lift ticket, but I don't really care, If I thought about the money I wouldn't leave the house.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by Thehof
Thehof wrote
In other words, the faster you ski down the more economical skiing becomes. It's very simple. On a small hill you could get your ticket price down to a few dollars a lift.
hmmm, another reason to stay on the groomers - not only are they muy dangeroso but the trees and bumps take too long with all those turns and stuff and drive up the cost per run  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote

The tarp he lives under sprung a leak last night and he's got a really bad head-cold;

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote

And everyone knows the coolest peeps are DICK skinners.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Hey PowderPecker,

choke on this!  

reds and white is worse winters!  Check out NY.  the white spot covers WF!  

Winter Serverity Map
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
30 minutes till Whompner, need my Dailey fix of enlightenment
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
7/11 kicked him out of the parking lot lost his free wifi
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
It should be noted stowe gets the most snowfall of any mountain in Vermont in my opinion. All you need to do is look at average precipitation map of vermont. You can see the tremendous upslope effect taking place at mansfield on the spine of the greens, which act like a ridge line.(the tug hill acts the same way, but of course gets lake effect) Jay peak is more of a singular peak that doesn't get nearly the amount of upslope effect in my opinion. It's kind of ironic them talking about a "jay cloud" when in fact mansfield appears to get more upslope. But none of this has anything to do with the amount charged for lift tickets. If anything, more snow should equal cheaper lift tickets for obvious reasons of having less snow to have to blow.
Look at this map below. It's obvious where the upslope effects are. You can see the dark purples. Also the difference in total snowfall between northern vermont and southern vermont is greatly exaggerated. Of course there's a difference being farther north, but MUCH more important is being on the spine. They squeeze the moisture out as air rises. As air rises it's ability to hold onto moisture decreases. This is upslope effect. There's actually not a huge difference in snowfall between bennington and burlington vermont. The tight gradients and rapid increases/decreases in snowfall are when you get near the coastal plain vs slightly inland(logan airport vs nw suburbs of boston)
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
What you don't know about winter meteorology would fill a library.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
It should be noted stowe gets the most snowfall of any mountain in Vermont in my opinion. All you need to do is look at average precipitation map of vermont. You can see the tremendous upslope effect taking place at mansfield on the spine of the greens, which act like a ridge line.(the tug hill acts the same way, but of course gets lake effect) Jay peak is more of a singular peak that doesn't get nearly the amount of upslope effect in my opinion. It's kind of ironic them talking about a "jay cloud" when in fact mansfield appears to get more upslope. But none of this has anything to do with the amount charged for lift tickets. If anything, more snow should equal cheaper lift tickets for obvious reasons of having less snow to have to blow.
Look at this map below. It's obvious where the upslope effects are. You can see the dark purples. Also the difference in total snowfall between northern vermont and southern vermont is greatly exaggerated. Of course there's a difference being farther north, but MUCH more important is being on the spine. They squeeze the moisture out as air rises. As air rises it's ability to hold onto moisture decreases. This is upslope effect. There's actually not a huge difference in snowfall between bennington and burlington vermont. The tight gradients and rapid increases/decreases in snowfall are when you get near the coastal plain vs slightly inland(logan airport vs nw suburbs of boston)
You still haven't stated why you are focusing on a map from 97.  Usually the snow that Jay gets doesn't show up on a radar and I'm sure it wouldn't show up on this outdated map either.  If you don't ride at Stowe, how can you have an opinion on how much snow they get?  Also in my opinion and from actually skiing there, the Jay cloud covers a small area.  You don't start to see the larger snowfall totals until you get pretty close to the mountain.  Anyways average doesn't really tell the whole story.  Some years are much better than others.  And sometimes places that don't get as much normally have good years.  I'm still trying to figure out what you are trying to prove.  What that Bromley is the snow capital of the east?  That out west gets more snow than the east?  Do you have any current maps to show us?  Is everything just based off a map you found?  Do you ever base anything off personal experience, or is it all just opinion because obviously you haven't rode at most of the places you talk about.  And what was your home mountain again?  Maybe I will see you at Snow Ridge on their opening day and we can discuss this further.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PowderAssassin wrote
It If anything, more snow should equal cheaper lift tickets for obvious reasons of having less snow to have to blow.
Yeah that makes sense. The place that is likely to have the best conditions should be the cheapest

They should discount the tickets based on each inch of snow they get that day
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
 Usually the snow that Jay gets doesn't show up on a radar and I'm sure it wouldn't show up on this outdated map either.  If you don't ride at Stowe, how can you have an opinion on how much snow they get?  Also in my opinion and from actually skiing there, the Jay cloud covers a small area.
You know nothing about meteorology and have no clue what you're talking about. It's actually kind of laughable. Number one, a thunderstorm shows up on radar. So of course a snow falling on a peak would show up. Radar is so sensitive it has picked up on them blowing snow at jiminy peak! The fact that it's from a while ago is meaningless. It's a climate normal over decades. Please pick up a text book.

Number 2. Of course average matters. Vermont averages more snow than the berkshires. This matters. Of course some years are more/less than average.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Noah John wrote
What you don't know about winter meteorology would fill a library.
Please elaborate troll. You're trolling as hard as you can. You don't even understand the concept of a 30 year climate normals. Do you even know what weather models are and how to read them? GFS Euro ect? Do you know what isobars are? Lines of equal pressure. Do you know lows spin counter clockwise? Do you know anything?
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
It If anything, more snow should equal cheaper lift tickets for obvious reasons of having less snow to have to blow.
Yeah that makes sense. The place that is likely to have the best conditions should be the cheapest

They should discount the tickets based on each inch of snow they get that day
It's usually the excuse EC mountain give why they are so expensive compared to many western mountain even though the EC has subpar condtions. It costs a fortune to blow snow. Having to blow less= less operating expense. So if anything this just shows how badly you're being overcharged, but have fun opening up your wallet and getting taken every time you visit.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
 Usually the snow that Jay gets doesn't show up on a radar and I'm sure it wouldn't show up on this outdated map either.  If you don't ride at Stowe, how can you have an opinion on how much snow they get?  Also in my opinion and from actually skiing there, the Jay cloud covers a small area.
You know nothing about meteorology and have no clue what you're talking about. It's actually kind of laughable. Number one, a thunderstorm shows up on radar. So of course a snow falling on a peak would show up. Radar is so sensitive it has picked up on them blowing snow at jiminy peak! The fact that it's from a while ago is meaningless. It's a climate normal over decades. Please pick up a text book.

Number 2. Of course average matters. Vermont averages more snow than the berkshires. This matters. Of course some years are more/less than average.
Actually I do have experience in meteorology.  Not claiming to be an expert but, I have taken classes in college.  And my work in the summer and my hobby in the winter revolves around the weather so I do pay close attention to it.  Also Jiminy Peak is much closer to civilization than Jay Peak.  Jay Peak is so close to the border and so far from anything else it doesn't register on radar as much as you think.  Do you follow the Canadian weather because I'm sure stuff shows up near the border that doesn't show up here.  Do you ride Jay yourself to know that?  I know because I ride there.  I notice significantly bigger snowpiles on the sides of the roads the closer I get to Jay once I get within a half hr range.  And it gets bigger when you get there.  And then there is also more at the peak than the base.  If you based anything off from personal experience you would have so much more credibility.  I've heard Stowe gets a lot of snow close to what Jay gets but, I haven't rode there so I try not to pretend I know something about a place I have never been.  Have you been to Jay?
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
There's no such thing as a "jay cloud". It's not a scientific term. It was made up by a ski resort. The maximum upslope effect(what they call a jay cloud) takes place at mt mansfield area. Of course it can be snowing at higher elevations and less snow/even rain at lower elevations. This happens everywhere morons.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
There's no such thing as a "jay cloud". It's not a scientific term. It was made up by a ski resort. The maximum upslope effect(what they call a jay cloud) takes place at mt mansfield area. Of course it can be snowing at higher elevations and less snow/even rain at lower elevations. This happens everywhere morons.
Why are you resorting to name calling?
1 ... 161718192021