classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
420 messages Options
12345678 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lift Ticket Prices for 14-15

Highpeaksdrifter
How about its someone who enjoys doing something a few times a year. Maybe that's all he can afford or just all he has time to do. Or maybe he just wants to do other things. Either way the ski industry as we know it today would not exist.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
How about its someone who enjoys doing something a few times a year. Maybe that's all he can afford or just all he has time to do. Or maybe he just wants to do other things. Either way the ski industry as we know it today would not exist.
Some people on here have talked about how much they hate gapers.  I figured I would recommend where they should ski if they want to avoid them.  Personally, I am not bothered by them as I can easily ski right around them.  Those who are bothered by gapers should go to an expensive mountain that is hard to get to if they wish to avoid them.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Who said they hate gapers? What is a gaper?  Do we have universal agreement on the definition?

As HPD said, the ski business requires beginners to survive.  Gear, rentals, day tickets, lessons, lunch.

Once I took a rafting trip with a guide who abused me for a complete lack of knowledge of rafting. I thought WTF dude, if everyone was an expert you wouldn't have a job.  Any business that disdains customers is screwed.

I'm a gaper.  I'm the guy on the bump run under the lift, crashing and getting a raft of shit from the cool people above.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Harvey wrote
Who said they hate gapers? What is a gaper?  Do we have universal agreement on the definition?

As HPD said, the ski business requires beginners to survive.  Gear, rentals, day tickets, lessons, lunch.

Once I took a rafting trip with a guide who abused me for a complete lack of knowledge of rafting. I thought WTF dude, if everyone was an expert you wouldn't have a job.  Any business that disdains customers is screwed.

I'm a gaper.  I'm the guy on the bump run under the lift, crashing and getting a raft of shit from the cool people above.
I remember some rant about president's weekend crowds where the person writing it said how they hate that the mountains are filled with gapers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
is totally oblivious to the fact that they look like an idiot and are skiing icy bumps directly under the lift when there is powder stashed all over mountain, or stashed in the trees right next to them.
No gapers at whiteface I guess
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
That was my point. Everyone could be called a gaper at some point..........but Stratton is all gapers and blows
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Thacheronix
Thacheronix wrote
skimore wrote
is totally oblivious to the fact that they look like an idiot and are skiing icy bumps directly under the lift when there is powder stashed all over mountain, or stashed in the trees right next to them.
No gapers at whiteface I guess
I'm sure that there are "gapers" at Whiteface.  It has been mentioned on this site.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
but Stratton is all gapers
No it is not.  I skied there last winter, but I am pretty sure you have not.  So you are making inaccurate generalizations with no prior knowledge trying to bash Southern Vermont.  It's all skiing, so just accept the fact that not all mountains are going to be exactly the way you want them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Gunny J
Gunny J wrote
Benny Profane wrote
It probably hasn't taken hold too much because skiers in general are from the upper classes, so I'm guessing most wouldn't stand for it. The working class skier is rare.

Well, if you're white and ski a lot, you're upper class, for sure. If you work a lot and hard, you really aren't much of a skier, know what I mean?

I am white, ski a lot I work a lot and hard. Sometimes I drive 2hrs one way work 12 hrs  get filthy dirty ,drive 2hrs home and do it all over again the next day. I pack my lunch don't eat out at all during the week and save all extra money for skiing. I have worked every Saturday some years between May and November to hit the Snow hard in the Winter .I am far from the top 5%!
You are young and strong. I applaud your sprit and drive. Party on. Just put a little aside for your elder years.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Snowballs wrote
People who live closer to ski mtns don't need to be upper class to ski a lot. It costs more for flatlanders to get their ski on.

Yes. But, by the very nature of that arrangement, where they live, they probably don't make very much money. In general. As a rule. But, yeah, it's much much more affordable to ski if you don't have to travel far. Generally speaking.
>>>> AHA !!! Are you into the edibles again Senor Profane ?
Well, duh. Two months in Colorado next season. What a state.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
skimore wrote
but Stratton is all gapers
No it is not.  I skied there last winter, but I am pretty sure you have not.  So you are making inaccurate generalizations with no prior knowledge trying to bash Southern Vermont.  It's all skiing, so just accept the fact that not all mountains are going to be exactly the way you want them.
I've been there. We only went because of some free passes and it snowed. We skied the Shredwood forest trees or some name like that all day. No one was skiing it. The place still blows

Oh......and I love Magic in SVT
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Doing a little research on the topic.

According to newschoolers top gaper mountains are:

Deer Valley, Vail, Breck, Gore, Killington, Hunter

Epic gives Stratton a heavy gaper rating:

http://www.epicski.com/products/stratton-mountain/reviews/715

This guy is awesome.  Sorta of a superhero from the seventies.

Not a good outfit for a rope ducker.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by snoloco
Here's some SVT love...........just not Flatton

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
It's a generalization for sure and there are many many exceptions to the rule but the farther south you go the higher amount of gapers

Back when I worked at Killington the term was Herbs if they came from Jersey and Massholes from Boston

That was a long time ago and my take is if you love skiing it's all good just respect the sport and don't make an behind of yourself to those that live the sport.  And there is a big difference between loving it and living it.

Oh and never wear a neon one piece or say that rear entry boots work just fine for you.  The guy skiing on Olin Mark IVs that were the bomb when I was in high school about 100 pairs of skis ago for me - that is a gaper.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote

The third or second day of my learn to ski package at Killington, way way back when, my buddy abused me by loading me on lifts I shouldn't have been on, but, he was and still is an impatient person. On that day, I was riding the Outer Limits quad for the first time, and I witness some dude, I swear, in a full body fart  bag in bright, neon, ....... Pink. Could be buried five feet deep in an avi, and still find him, Pink, ripping a zipper line of Volkswagen bug ice moguls on said Outer Limits with a secret agent's smug smile on his face. Most amazing thing I ever saw on skis for years after, live, in person.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Snowballs wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Snowballs wrote
People who live closer to ski mtns don't need to be upper class to ski a lot. It costs more for flatlanders to get their ski on.

Yes. But, by the very nature of that arrangement, where they live, they probably don't make very much money. In general. As a rule. But, yeah, it's much much more affordable to ski if you don't have to travel far. Generally speaking.
Hahaha ! Well, if your knee doesn't hold up at least the weed will !!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Snowballs wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Snowballs wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Snowballs wrote

Hahaha ! Well, if your knee doesn't hold up at least the weed will !!!!

It's all about the level of medication one can live with.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
This thread was stupid a long time ago, but I think it's finally reached its low point.

Really, there should be 4 separate threads here:

1. Single day lift ticket prices are high, only idiots pay for them, but we need those idiots to keep subsidizing our cheap season passes and Liftopia deals.
2. Tiered pricing, early on pricing, and VIP section pricing is coming, eventually. Let's hope that they don't start charging more to use certain parts of the mountain.
3. Southern Vermont sucks (except for Magic and select backcountry), mostly because they don't get much snow (about as much as certain NY mountains), but also because they cater to a clientele that doesn't have much representation on ski forums. I would like to say that I love skiing Bromley on a spring day.
4. Gapers, whatever the definition, exist.

Real enlightening stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Well, thanks. Have a nice day.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
1. Single day lift ticket prices are high, only idiots pay for them, but we need those idiots to keep subsidizing our cheap season passes and Liftopia deals.
I've skied at list price at many mountains, including Stratton.  Does that make me or my dad an idiot?  Getting a discount ticket for a one time trip isn't easy, especially if you are looking for a specific date.  Usually on most weekends the difference between liftopia price and list price is so negligible, that you may as well just pay list price and know that you can cancel due to r*in at any time.  Before you tell me to ski midweek, keep in mind that I have to get off school and my dad has to get off work.  We can't take 3 days off to go to Stratton.  If we did take off a lot just to save a little money, I wouldn't be able to ski when I was older because I wouldn't be able to get a good job.  My dad might loose his, and there goes our skiing money down the toilet.

mattchuck2 wrote
2. Tiered pricing, early on pricing, and VIP section pricing is coming, eventually. Let's hope that they don't start charging more to use certain parts of the mountain.
This won't happen.  The places that tried it have been very unsuccessful.  Park City sells tickets that let you skip the line, but it is rarely worth it to buy.  Mountain Creek used to sell a VIP season pass for 1,200 dollars that let you skip the line.  That option was discontinued because no one bought it.

mattchuck2 wrote
3. Southern Vermont sucks (except for Magic and select backcountry), mostly because they don't get much snow (about as much as certain NY mountains), but also because they cater to a clientele that doesn't have much representation on ski forums. I would like to say that I love skiing Bromley on a spring day.
I've skied at Mount Snow and Stratton, and I plan to add Okemo or Bromley this winter.  Does that make me any less of a skier than I am now?  It's all skiing, so what does it matter what clientele they cater to.  If you aren't that clientele, don't go.

12345678 ... 21