classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
420 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lift Ticket Prices for 14-15

ml242
5. You can have fun at Bromley or Okemo but not on a weekend because those lines.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
What am I supposed to do?  Take off school?  If I took off from school, it would be to go to Colorado or Utah, not to ski in Southern Vermont.  I went to Stratton on the last Sunday in February and my dad and I enjoyed it enough to want to go back.  I am sure that Bromley and Okemo are similar in crowds to Stratton.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Why take a day off here and there when you could just drop the whole thing and live the dream!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Yeah. School's for fools. Chicks dig mountain town bartenders who rip.
funny like a clown
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by snoloco
Missing a week or two of school is not going to make you homeless when you are an adult.  My son takes every Friday off school to train with Nysef.  His grades actually went up considerably the first yr he did it.  We found out he was bored in school leading my wife who is a teacher to decide to have him skip a grade.

Your dad gets vacation days too.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Real enlightening stuff.
If someone where making their first visit to a ski forum all they would have to do is read through this thread to understand that ski forums have nothing to do with enlightenment.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
Footer wrote
Beginners should not be at ANY of these mountains.  I tell everyone I know who wants to learn to go to West or Willard (In the capital region that is).  At west you can get on the hill weeknight with gear for 25 bucks.  You can ski weekend at Willard for 40 bucks.  Go during the week and it gets much cheaper.  There is NO reason why anyone new to the sport should be at any of the big hills.  No point.  You are paying for stuff your not using.
Completely agree with this, especially the "you're paying for stuff you're not using" part. I learned to ski at Maple Ridge and loved it.

The Ski Bowl only pass (and the one where you can ride the j bar and Sunway chair) is a great idea.
Yea. If it were up to me, I'ld also have a " wee one " magic carpet only pass for 6 and under, 2 hrs, $10. Rentals $10. Available any 3 days. Wee ones can't go longer than 2 hrs anyway. This way parents could see if their kid likes it and is physically able to ski/board.

Got more than one young'un ? This way you could take say 3 for $60 including rentals. Good deal and the kids would have fun. If they have fun they may become skiers.

Many parents would like to let their kid try it but many don't have large bucks to lay out for an attempt or just won't spend it.

The mtn wouldn't lose money really. It would get more peeps out. More peeps can equal more skiers. Rentals just sitting in the shop equals no money coming in from them. A few more on the MC is not an extra cost.
6 and under ski free at Gore, WF, Bell, West and probably others. You have to go to the window each day to get a ticket. At Gore if you want a season pass for 6 and under I think it is $30 (basically a processing fee). At West its $25. Pretty amazing deal if you have young kids on sticks. I can take both my kids to West and ski for two hours during the week (Mon/Tue) for $17 all in (they both have season rentals for $100 each). Not sure about other VT resorts, but Jay wasn't free for our then 5 and 3 year olds.

I think first tracks on weekends and holidays should be a passholder perk if it is there at all. Or do what WF does and allow 12-14 people to sign up for it for free. I've done it a couple times at WF and it was great to rip some fresh groomers, but I wouldn't pay for it. Never hit it on a pow day. You basically get one or maybe two runs in before the public is allowed on. I would be amazed if SB is able to sell out 500 of those passes. That's a 1%er perk IMO.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
Real enlightening stuff.
If someone where making their first visit to a ski forum all they would have to do is read through this thread to understand that ski forums have nothing to do with enlightenment.
funny stuff
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Missing a week or two of school is not going to make you homeless when you are an adult.  My son takes every Friday off school to train with Nysef.  His grades actually went up considerably the first yr he did it.  We found out he was bored in school leading my wife who is a teacher to decide to have him skip a grade.

Your dad gets vacation days too.
I am much older than your son is.  Missing a day in high school is extremely hard to make up, much harder than middle school or elementary school.  I also have 6 teachers to go to to find make up work.  Most of them work the entire 45 minute period from bell to bell and will not let you ask for make up work.  I have had perfect attendance the last 2 years.  I hope to have that again this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Well, there it is. He takes pride in his perfect attendance. That's a good thing.

Good for you Sno !
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Benny Profane

Benny Profane wrote
Snowballs wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Snowballs wrote
People who live closer to ski mtns don't need to be upper class to ski a lot. It costs more for flatlanders to get their ski on.

Yes. But, by the very nature of that arrangement, where they live, they probably don't make very much money. In general. As a rule. But, yeah, it's much much more affordable to ski if you don't have to travel far. Generally speaking.
>>>> AHA !!! Are you into the edibles again Senor Profane ?
Well, duh. Two months in Colorado next season. What a state.
Yo Benny, in addition to a traditional Colorado TR will you also be providing a more modern TR ? A Toke Report ? Weed voyeurs are a curious bunch.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Well, there it is. He takes pride in his perfect attendance. That's a good thing.

Good for you Sno !

I had perfect attendance on powder days this year .....what about me, can I get some kuddos too?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Why sure.....Good for you I:)skiing !!!

Benny, toss the man a brownie or three.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by snoloco
You are a smart kid.  The reality is that you are likely more intelligent than your teachers.  Unless your high school teachers actually have degrees in the subject matter which is rare -  not teaching degrees but actual say history or biology degrees what they know they learned from the text book.  You can do the same by reading said book and skipping their class.

Lighten up and go skiing ocassionally
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Coach Z wrote
You are a smart kid.  The reality is that you are likely more intelligent than your teachers.  Unless your high school teachers actually have degrees in the subject matter which is rare -  not teaching degrees but actual say history or biology degrees what they know they learned from the text book.  You can do the same by reading said book and skipping their class.

Lighten up and go skiing ocassionally
I like this advice.  My dad will likely not be so keen on it.  I am in all honors/AP classes and my class rank is 14 out of 360.  I should be a good enough student to take off a couple days for skiing, but my dad probably won't let me unless we are going out west.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Don't burn yourself out in high school.  What you do in college and grad school is the important part.  It's more about learning how to think not what you know that matters in the real world.

Is a NJ powder day worth missing school - no because 6 inches closes your school anyway down there.  Take some days off and go out west when it's not a school holiday to get the most out of your experience.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Coach Z is my hero.    Glad his kid is older than my own, he gets to learn from mistakes first.      I am always looking for good fatherly advice, thanks Coach.  
Reply | Threaded
|

kenneywallace
Add lab and song 50$
Black diamonds, the easy way down, less moving hazzards
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by I:)skiing
Not sure what year you're in sno but my son is a junior this year and there's a lot riding on it. last year he did junior instructing and a moguls program and probably had 75-80 days on the snow. We nixed both this season to focus on gpa and sat's  we have block scheduling and the classroom time lost to band and sports is tough enough to stay on top of  - there will no ski days off for him this year! last night our dinner discussion was laying down the law regarding weekend skiing and hockey privileges, they'll be evaluated weekly based on classwork, test and sat prep performance  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I am in 10th grade this year.  I got 88 days last year and plan to get similar every year.  I have Mountain Creek really close by, so I can go after school.  Many of my friends go after school as well.  I do not have block scheduling, but they might change over to it next year.  I am in orchestra, but I don't do any school sports.  I have never had a problem getting in as many ski days as I want and still doing well in school.  Part of it is that I do quite well in school with a class rank of 14 out of 360, so my parents never really worry about the amount of time I spend studying.  My overall average does go down on average of one percentage point during the winter because of skiing, but do I really need to loose a whole season due to ONE POINT.
1 ... 3456789 ... 21