Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: N Vermont vs Tug Hill contest

Cornhead
campgottagopee wrote
ml242 wrote
  I might go on Saturday.
Slight chance we may go on Sunday
Camp leave Virgil? For somewhere other than Whiteface? Are you feeling alright? Just kidding buddy, do it, you"ll like Snow Ridge, especially if they do get hammered.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
It looks like they might get hammered. Should be the light and fluffy stuff, too. Ya know, powder. Real, honest to goodness powder.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
I pretty much took after you and started speed  reading your posts because you are such a moron and contribute so little since you never actually get out.  After arguing with me about snow totals at a place I was at, at the time you were arguing with me proves you have nothing of value to share.  If Snow Ridge gets a matter of feet by morning, I'll be there.  Will you?  If not Ill still ski just somewhere else.  Butthurt much?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Cornhead wrote
campgottagopee wrote
ml242 wrote
  I might go on Saturday.
Slight chance we may go on Sunday
Camp leave Virgil? For somewhere other than Whiteface? Are you feeling alright? Just kidding buddy, do it, you"ll like Snow Ridge, especially if they do get hammered.
hehe

was a weak moment ---- staying in the valley
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Sounds like Jay and Snow Ridge are about even over the last week both got nearly two feet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
  Have fun at Greek tomorrow, trail count is slowly increasing, product is good. Odessey was open, but not stellar, uneven grooming, firm, rough it spots. Not complaining, just saying. Kristie's was crusty early too, but skied much better after a little traffic in the afternoon. Great day today, chilly, but sunny, and calm. Have fun, traveling to Platty to ski with friends tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
Sounds like Jay and Snow Ridge are about even over the last week both got nearly two feet.
Based on?
Here's nws spotter reports:
http://www.weather.gov/btv/spotterReports
They didn't get that much in NVT(If they did please post OFFICIAL spotter reports proving it. I don't have time to do all that)

Some snow totals from the tug from last event. 54 inches at rodman....DAMN Lesser amounts elsewhere. Tight gradient as per usual in lake effect event. Here's some of the highest totals:

...JEFFERSON COUNTY...
   RODMAN                54.0  1236 PM  1/10  SOCIAL MEDIA
   ADAMS                 48.0  1100 AM  1/10  SOCIAL MEDIA
   1 WSW WATERTOWN       25.6   400 PM  1/10  COCORAHS
   CARTHAGE              17.5   700 AM  1/10  COCORAHS
   THERESA               11.5   700 AM  1/10  COCORAHS

...LEWIS COUNTY...
   COPENHAGEN            39.6   920 AM  1/10  COOP OBSERVER
   BEAVER FALLS          35.0   700 AM  1/10  COCORAHS
   LOWVILLE              16.5   700 AM  1/10  COOP OBSERVER

I HAVE A QUESTION. Would you rather ski this:
Some stupid glades at stowe where the guy can barely even more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx_zyXNX0Ak
Or this....wide open powder at alta....BE HONEST. THERE'S REALLY NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TWO. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY ANYONE COULD POSSIBLY COMPARE THE TWO. EC GLADES SUCKS COMPARED TO WIDE OPEN POWER LIKE OUT WEST.
REALLY INCREDIBLE VIDEO FROM ALTA:(PLEASE WATCH!!) Knee deep? Nope. Chest deep...NOPE. What then?

OVERHEAD SNORKEL REQUIRED POWDER. One of the sickest videos I've ever seen. Real stuff too, not extreme people. And some tree skiing as well, but not the tight EC b.s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-FebCbC5I

More heaven at alta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfNyHehXCu4

Oh and harvey took away my ability to even start a new thread so this is goodbye for real now. lol
Peace
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Un cadeau d'anniversaire à lui-même ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Based on first hand experience of myself at snow ridge this week and ml who was there saturday.  We both confirmed they exaggerated their snowfall totals.  Friday night they went with the hype of 3 to 5 feet and ended up being 6 inches while reporting a foot.  When I was there, you were saying multiple feet and it was 10 inches total.  No first hand reports at Jay but, I've come to the conclusion that they all pad their stats so all the exaggerations should equal out.  So what Tug Hill gets a lot of snow.  Too bad its flat and the only place is snow ridge if the wind shifts just right.  I don't even have to watch your videos to know that Alta is better.  And you wonder why you are limited on here.  Because you are such an asshole, you want to argue nonstop about everything.  No one likes a know it all, especially a know it all that doesn't know shit.  So when you want to hit the slopes so I can rag on you in person?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Glade Runner wrote
exaggerated... hype
This is odd to me.  I don't have tons of experience with SR snow reports, but to me they have always seemed very conservative. And I met the woman who usually does it. She was very concerned about erring in the low side.

I really wonder what happened here. It seemed like there was a legit chance for a huge dump but that it was something less than 50/50. Got to think somehow the normal snow reporting process got messed up or something.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
With regard to why Pow is limited is in part my lack of availability to moderate.  I'm skiing the whole weekend and I'm pushing it, lots of driving, skiing bell to bell, eat, socializing, sleeping a little, as my day would say when I was younger "burning the candle at both ends."  I'm living, having fun and there no way to read everything keep up with forum.  The forum is just much more self sufficient when Pow isn't posting 30 times a day.  Unfortunately it isn't really legit moderation, it's more of a ends-justifies-the-means kind of thing.

Pow I'll make you a deal.  You post for one week without talking about netting, or danger or Tug Hill vs NVT ... move off your script. Post a TR of actually skiing.  Bring some stoke for gods sake. Break out of the box, and I'll up your limit.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
Glade Runner wrote
Based on first hand experience of myself at snow ridge this week and ml who was there saturday.  We both confirmed they exaggerated their snowfall totals.  Friday night they went with the hype of 3 to 5 feet and ended up being 6 inches while reporting a foot.  When I was there, you were saying multiple feet and it was 10 inches total.  No first hand reports at Jay but, I've come to the conclusion that they all pad their stats so all the exaggerations should equal out.  So what Tug Hill gets a lot of snow.  Too bad its flat and the only place is snow ridge if the wind shifts just right.  I don't even have to watch your videos to know that Alta is better.  And you wonder why you are limited on here.  Because you are such an asshole, you want to argue nonstop about everything.  No one likes a know it all, especially a know it all that doesn't know shit.  So when you want to hit the slopes so I can rag on you in person?
One last thing. I KNOW snow ridge appeared to exaggerate their snowfall totals in this last storm. I think their despearate for business after this horrible winter for them. If you want to see just how little snowfall the east gets compared to the west look at natural snow reliant mountains like magic in vermont(central vermont) or snow ridge.(which is the snowiest in the east) You get thaws/rain in the pacific nw as well.

If you checked the spotter reports from that last event you know the northern tug region got all the snow! You could have even looked at the radar and see the band farther north.

Oh and if snow ridge is exaggerating with a 230 inch average(their average is not exaggerated, climate stations confirm this AVERAGE) then how does NVT get 355 average? Hmmmmm???? That's aspen type snow. Areas in the west MATCH their local stations as does snow ridge. NVT doesn't.

I don't pay attention to ski area reports especially from NVT. I pay attention to spotter reports.

Look at what the areas reporting near turin, ny got....not 12 inches. Constable, ny got 4.8 inches and is right next to turin, ny. Glenfield also nearby got only 3.4 inches

...LEWIS COUNTY...
   COPENHAGEN            39.6   920 AM  1/10  COOP OBSERVER
   BEAVER FALLS          35.0   700 AM  1/10  COCORAHS
   LOWVILLE              16.5   700 AM  1/10  COOP OBSERVER
   5 SSW HARRISVILLE      7.0   700 AM  1/10  COCORAHS
   1 NW CONSTABLEVILLE    6.0   700 AM  1/10  COCORAHS
   CONSTABLEVILLE         4.8   700 AM  1/10  COOP OBSERVER
   GLENFIELD              3.4   700 AM  1/10  COOP OBSERVER

Harvey, why is this such an uncomfortable topic? I don't get it. What's wrong with me posting a thread about netting? Just because you and few people on this forum don't agree? I'm not posting hateful, racist, or unprovoked personal attacks. That's what should be moderated. Not free speech. I'm simply pointing out some very obvious things like comparing these tight ec glades to wide open powder. Everyone on the internet seems to have this east coast slant and to not be honest. That's the third personal attack/name calling by glade in a row even when  I didn't respond back to his first couple of attacks. That gets a pass including his profanity, but you censor me?
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
^ This is what's wrong. Harv asks you to try to maybe chill out a bit on your pet peeves and you just post the same shit you always post.

Go somewhere, do some skiing, and put up some cool pics. Is that too much to ask?
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
Harvey, why is this such an uncomfortable topic? I don't get it. What's wrong with me posting a thread about netting? Just because you and few people on this forum don't agree? I'm not posting hateful, racist, or unprovoked personal attacks. That's what should be moderated. Not free speech. I'm simply pointing out some very obvious things like comparing these tight ec glades to wide open powder. Everyone on the internet seems to have this east coast slant and to not be honest. That's the third personal attack/name calling by glade in a row even when  I didn't respond back to his first couple of attacks. That gets a pass including his profanity, but you censor me?
Dude, you have some seriously mistaken assumptions, primarily that this site is anything but a private online discussion forum run by Harvey.  He can make up any rules he wants.  You have zero -- ZERO -- rights on this site.  You want to talk incessantly about allegedly fake snow totals put out by VT resorts?  Fine, do it on you own site.  Before he throttled back your postings, you were polluting this forum with endless repetition and internally inconsistent postings.  Harv has been more generous with you than a lot of site moderators would have been in the same situation.

Like Harv suggested, do a TR or two and get some cred here.  Otherwise people will continue to look at you as someone who has diarrhea of the mouth.  

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
 I really wonder what happened here.
Maybe because they were closed for a while, more optimistic snowfall numbers were posted.

Glade Runner wrote
 So when you want to hit the slopes so I can rag on you in person?
Hehehe. ^^^  OR  per Monsieur Benny..... snigger.

xac
Reply | Threaded
|

xac
In reply to this post by Harvey
I've been skiing Snow Ridge for about 25 years, and can confirm they have a longstanding reputation for measuring in a snow drift.

I can't say for sure if the reputation is deserved, but in my subjective experience, they do overreport. All three times I've visited this season, the actual totals were about half of what they reported. But does it matter? Not really – they get a lot of snow, the skiing is great, and I'll happily make the 45-minute drive for 12" of powder even if turns out to only be 6".

(That "3 to 5 FEET" forecast for last weekend was just silly though. The NWS clearly stated that only applied to the most persistent snowbands, and the chances of that lake effect band being situated exactly over Turin was pretty much zero.)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
xac wrote
I've been skiing Snow Ridge for about 25 years, and can confirm they have a longstanding reputation for measuring in a snow drift.

I can't say for sure if the reputation is deserved, but in my subjective experience, they do overreport. All three times I've visited this season, the actual totals were about half of what they reported. But does it matter? Not really – they get a lot of snow, the skiing is great, and I'll happily make the 45-minute drive for 12" of powder even if turns out to only be 6".

(That "3 to 5 FEET" forecast for last weekend was just silly though. The NWS clearly stated that only applied to the most persistent snowbands, and the chances of that lake effect band being situated exactly over Turin was pretty much zero.)
XAC it matters if you're driving 4 hours one way like me. 6 inches is NOT worth it for that little vertical and that long of a drive. Especially if it's really super dry blower powder where you scape the bottom(which is really bad if previous snow conditions were not good. It's scraping ice basically). But in all honesty, I have to leave my house before they even give the report since I want to be there first thing. So I just look at the radar loop/nws forecast. It's obvious from that what's going down. There's also some cams with snow depth rulers you can check.

Agreed. The nws clearly stated northern/central tug was going to get amount and they got exactly that.

I have a feeling some other resorts in the ec might measure in a drift as well....just maybe ;)
355 is a lot of snow to average when no other weather stations are coming in with that for averages right nearby at the same elevation. LOL
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Our forecast was for 3-6" and we got 22". I hate it when they get it wrong
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
tBatt wrote
and it was great too?
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
I dunno, I stayed inside and slept all day.

freeheeln wrote
tBatt wrote
and it was great too?
1 ... 8910111213