253 messages Options
1 ... 78910111213
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: N Vermont vs Tug Hill contest

Harvey
Administrator
Holy cow exclamation points from skimore.  I detect a change in the force!!!

It seems Pow is adjusting to his limited role here, and may be spreading the love elsewhere.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
even WF picked up more snow from this lake effect than SR, the flow was too SW for them.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Watertown is getting HAMMERED this year. They just got ANOTHER 2 FEET!(snow ridge averages more than double the snowfall of watertown)

Poor snow ridge has having a horrible year, which figures since I started this thread this year, but FINALLY they got some snow. Over a foot feel and it's still snowing.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Watertown is getting HAMMERED this year. They just got ANOTHER 2 FEET!(snow ridge averages more than double the snowfall of watertown)

Poor snow ridge has having a horrible year, which figures since I started this thread this year, but FINALLY they got some snow. Over a foot feel and it's still snowing.
Yea Im there right now.  What about you?  More like 10 inches and blue skies.  Not over a foot and still snowing.  But still nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
Glade Runner wrote
Yea Im there right now.  What about you?  More like 10 inches and blue skies.  Not over a foot and still snowing.  But still nice.
They received 4 inches yesterday as well so it's over a foot. You're clearly a fan of the place, why are you arguing with me still? That picture is gorgeous.

Also, do you have a job? I'm just wondering how you can travel all over the place driving hundreds of miles and skiing for hours and hours during the middle of the week. Calling in sick once in a while is one thing, but you seem to be doing this regularly.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Bosco DaSkia
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Hey Glade Dude,

Woods Valley got 16 inches and has not opened yet. Their first chair loads at 4pm today, you could hit yourself a second round of fresh on your way home from the Ridge. Rt 26 to Rt 12D to Rt 46 through the gorge will get you there in 37 minutes.

Woods Valley to Snow Ridge

Reply | Threaded
|

Bosco DaSkia
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote

Also, do you have a job? I'm just wondering how you can travel all over the place driving hundreds of miles and skiing for hours and hours during the middle of the week. Calling in sick once in a while is one thing, but you seem to be doing this regularly.

When you work the night shift, you have every day free to ski......
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
They received 4 inches yesterday as well so it's over a foot. You're clearly a fan of the place, why are you arguing with me still? That picture is gorgeous.

I know they received 4 inches yesterday so I expected more with the 10 inches overnight.  But, they definitely only have 10 inches over crust.  So either they exaggerated or combined the 4 inches with the overnight total.  Still a good day regardless.  And you say I argue with you? I'm there and you are trying to tell me how much snow they have.

Im a fan of snow.  I go where the snow is.  And yea, I have a job but, like Bosco said, you can ski every day when you work nights.  And I got a break from driving.  Today, Snow Ridge was Cornhead Bobs idea and a good one at that.  I didn't  even miss work today.  Snow Ridge is only a couple hours away for me.  I am in a good central location to hit a variety of mountains and track snow.  I feel bad for you city folks who only know crowds and commotion.  It was pretty dead there today and only 15 bucks for a ticket with season pass at Greek.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by Bosco DaSkia

Thanks for the tip never heard of wood valley before.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Bosco DaSkia wrote
Hey Glade Dude,

Woods Valley got 16 inches and has not opened yet. Their first chair loads at 4pm today, you could hit yourself a second round of fresh on your way home from the Ridge. Rt 26 to Rt 12D to Rt 46 through the gorge will get you there in 37 minutes.
Glade Runner wrote

Thanks for the tip never heard of wood valley before.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
We get around, I've got 4 wks vacation, and save most, if not all, for skiing. We were heading up on 81, we hit a squall, I couldn't see anything in front of me, Glade Runner is trying to show me the radar for Snow Ridge on his phone, I tell him I'm having all I can do to drive, then I thought, what the Hell, I might as well look at his phone, I can't see anything out the windshield anyway! Ah, memories!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Cornhead wrote
 We were heading up on 81, we hit a squall
Sounds reckless. Probably should have pulled over and got the flares out until it passed
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
No where near as reckless as hitting Snow Ridges back country for last run.  Cornhead thought we were lost as the temp was dropping.  We kept going till we found a nice steep narrow chute of virgin powder that led us to the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
How was the creek crossing
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
skimore wrote
How was the creek crossing
We were on the other side, hiking to ski the closed t-bar area. I'm not too familiar, but there's a trail that runs from the top of the t-bar into Kuerstiener, Rockin Robin, I wanted to hike up that, but GR wanted to take a "shortcut". We ended up hiking past the trails and dropping down a logging road to a nice little drop through the trees to the road. It would be nearly impossible to actually get lost, especially being able to see our location on our smart phones, but with an hour of daylight, and overnight temps dropping to -10°, and the ravines,  I did get a little nervous.  I suggested it might be a good idea to just follow our tracks back to Kuerstiener. We were joking about the headlines, " Two men found frozen to death in Turin, they were found 500ft from safety." I told GR my biggest fear was having to spoon with him to share body heat had we not found a way out, hey I just met the guy. Great day at SR, sure beat working.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade runner"http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=43.627287536000495&lon=-75.41128821599966&site=all&smap=1#.VLA3yvm34_s
And instead of posting weather forecasts to other places nearby with more favorable forecasts, why don't you try Turin, where Snow Ridge actually is you dumbass."
Calling me names again? Without provocation? HMMM
Gladerunner.....can you not see in my post below were I'm CLEARLY TALKING ABOUT THE BULLSEYE TOWNS ON THE TUG HILL OF MONTAGUE....HOLY GOD....AND THEN HOPING FOR A WIND SHIFT SO SNOW RIDGE CAN GET IN THE ACTION
OH AND I CAN ALSO CHECK SPOTTER REPORTS. THEY GOT 2 FEET IN OTHER AREAS OF TUG HILL snow ridge is on the edge.

Spotter reports, and click on numbers for prior reports
http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=buf&product=PNS&issuedby=BUF
Spotter reports for NVT
http://www.weather.gov/btv/spotterReports

Montague is the area of maximum snowfall on the tug near montague.
I'm comparing the area of maximum snowfall to NVT. Snow ridge is not the maximum area of average snowfall. I still think snow ridge is snowiest in the east. But to make my point even more clear, I'm IN THIS POST comparing the area of maximum snowfall on tug to NVT
LEARN TO READ:

This might miss snow ridge again, but it will be hitting the bullseye are on the tug(montague/highmarket). Snow ridge is on the downslope side on the southern edge. So it MIGHT get this. A slight degree in wind shift and snow ridge will get SMASHED.

3-5 feet forecasted.(after 2-3 feet a few days ago) By the way, this amount of snowfall and the fact that the average in the bullseye is still just under/around 300 is why I personally don't believe jay peak gets the 355 inch average. Just follow nws high elevation forecasts for jay peak. When's the last time jay peak got 5 feet of snow? They don't get dumps like that in except in RARE rare circumstances. Tug hill gets feet and feet routinely.

Again, I don't have time to add everything up and both areas(and I don't trust ski area reports from nvt anyway), but just pay attention to general forecasts.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
1022 AM EST FRI JAN 9 2015

NYZ006>008-092330-
/O.CON.KBUF.LE.W.0003.000000T0000Z-150110T2300Z/
OSWEGO-JEFFERSON-LEWIS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OSWEGO...WATERTOWN...LOWVILLE
1022 AM EST FRI JAN 9 2015

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST
SATURDAY...

* LOCATIONS...OSWEGO...JEFFERSON AND LEWIS COUNTIES...MAINLY
  ACROSS CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN JEFFERSON COUNTY...NORTHERN LEWIS
  COUNTY AND EXTREME NORTHERN OSWEGO COUNTY.

* TIMING...THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY EVENING.

* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH.

* ACCUMULATIONS...STORM TOTALS OF 3 TO 5 FEET IN THE MOST
  PERSISTENT SNOW BANDS.

* SNOWFALL RATES...OVER 3 INCHES PER HOUR AT TIMES.

* VISIBILITIES...AS LOW AS A QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.

* IMPACTS...VERY HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL
  CREATE EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS WITH NEAR ZERO
  VISIBILITY AND DEEP SNOW COVER ON ROADS. SOME ROADS MAY BECOME
  NEARLY IMPASSABLE AT TIMES. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...BE PREPARED
  FOR SEVERE WINTER DRIVING CONDITIONS.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Dude, you can't just use forecasts as snow totals.  Snow Ridge did not get 2 to 3 feet in the last few days.  I was there.  While I will be watching for significant snow on this lake effect, It's a long shot for them to get that much.  The other day you were acting like they got feet and feet of snow.  They only had 10 inches, I was scraping bottom in places.  While we live in a great age with all this info that helps us know where to go by how much snow they may get, first hand experience goes so much farther than what you can get behind your computer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=43.627287536000495&lon=-75.41128821599966&site=all&smap=1#.VLA3yvm34_s

And instead of posting weather forecasts to other places nearby with more favorable forecasts, why don't you try Turin, where Snow Ridge actually is you dumbass.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Glade Runner,

Snow Ridge must be getting their weather from Montague too. They are stoking the fire for "up to 5 feet" of snow through Saturday. Why not up to 20 feet? Regardless, it's gonna snow there and I might go on Saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ml242 wrote
  I might go on Saturday.
Slight chance we may go on Sunday
1 ... 78910111213