classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
160 messages Options
1 ... 345678
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

Marcski
We were skiing top to bottom in the woods all day in bounds.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Benedict... you volunteering for next year, or god forbid, advocating higher ticket prices?

Boundary-to-boundary baby. Git 'er done.

I never advocate higher ticket prices!

Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Ok see you next November.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

takeahike46er
In reply to this post by BenedictGomez
BenedictGomez wrote
You really get the sense that Platty could have some outstanding and sustained-length tree skiing if they put a greater emphasis on thinning.
They already have some fantastic and sustained lines that are pretty much top-to-bottom within the boundary.  That said, I would agree there is much more potential.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
The sensitive types might want to avert their eyes but skiing saturday was EPIC and AWESOME. I assisted in the glade clearing day last november and wanted to to finally scout things out. I hope Plattekill not only holds another glade day but adds another glade day. The work we did paid big dividends. I skied in the woods the entire day in fresh,boot deep and sometimes deeper wind drifts. I never saw a rock. I had so much fun I skied down to the road once and just past the tubing park. The lines were never more that three skier deep yet the lodge was packed. It has the snow pack that unfortunately Hickory will never have. The slow chairs and the limited weekly schedule mean that the snow stays fresh for a long,long time.
Reply | Threaded
|

takeahike46er
frk—I could be wrong, but I think I tagged along with you for a few runs on Saturday.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
frk  not sure what you mean by "unfortunately Hickory will never have"?
hickory is one good march dump away.  
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by takeahike46er
skiing is a great social sport. I enjoyed your company 46er. as for Hickory, they will never have the consistent snow that plattekill gets. Hickory is in a donut hole and is always one dump away from good skiing. of course, Hickory is great old school skiing and it is the last of a dying breed of small independent ski areas, but, sooner or later, lack of snow is going close it's doors. Plattekill and Magic have snow making to pull it through lean years and MRG is in the Green spine.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
that is interesting. do you have proof that hickory is in a donut hole or is that an observation?  hickory has one of the best bases i can remember and the adks seem to be on the short end of the snow straw this year. i think the base was setup by the rain/snow event that put a layer of concrete down in january.  i am pulling for all 3 but sadly you are probably correct.
my guess is more then one fails.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
Not to anyone in particular, but If you're a Catskills skier and you're choosing to ski a mountain other than Plattekill right now, you need to have your head examined.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by sig
Hickory is at a low elevation, which isn't the same as a donut hole.

Gore gets significant less snow that Snowy, which is at the same elevation only 10 miles away. That's a donut.

Hickory doesn't get any less snow that areas at the same elevation nearby. Hickory probably gets more lake effect than Gore.

It's somewhat semantic/irrelevant however as it doesn't change the fact that Hickory, at 80 inches or annual snowfall, Hickory needs snowmaking and without it won't break even.

Plattekill gets and holds much more snow than Hickory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by frk
frk wrote
The sensitive types might want to avert their eyes but skiing saturday was EPIC and AWESOME. I assisted in the glade clearing day last november and wanted to to finally scout things out. I hope Plattekill not only holds another glade day but adds another glade day. The work we did paid big dividends. I skied in the woods the entire day in fresh,boot deep and sometimes deeper wind drifts. I never saw a rock. I had so much fun I skied down to the road once and just past the tubing park. The lines were never more that three skier deep yet the lodge was packed. It has the snow pack that unfortunately Hickory will never have. The slow chairs and the limited weekly schedule mean that the snow stays fresh for a long,long time.

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Here is, what I think is a pretty cool, bad phone picture from Sunday in the in-bounds woods.  I know the way you love the good, bad phone pics, Harv.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Marcski wrote
Not sure what you mean. I do like it!
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Harvey wrote
Marcski wrote
Not sure what you mean. I do like it!
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Plattekill-Conditions-2013-2014-tp4031555p4037272.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Wow good memory! Guess you were serious. I love that one even better because it's dumping.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
Plattekill skied nicely today. Woods were still soft and fun with some fresh tracks to be found here and there if you were willing to poke around. Here's ScottSki doing some successful poking...
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Harvey is in the house!!

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator