Plattekill Conditions (2014-2015)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
160 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

Marcski
Tomorrow will be rocking. The past 3 days were outstanding. Saturday, I think was the biggest crowd yet this season, yet you'd never know it; the mountain spreads people out and if there were 10 people ahead of you in the liftline it was a lot. The trails skied perfectly all weekend and with today's warmer temps, it was just sublime.  The natural snow bump lines on the sides of Plunge and Freefall were practically perfect. The woods were skiing well with a few feet of deep, soft snow.  It started snowing nice and and hard at about 2:30 or so.  
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
Seems like a strange call to make so early. When I left Plattekill at 5 pm yesterday, they had a coating of snow. Looking forward to hearing their morning snow report. Hope they did well overnight.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
At 5:45 last night it was nuking in Rox.  Laz was looking at NWS that was still calling for 5" overnight and 5" during the day today.  NWS was also calling for an chance of freezing drizzle tonight. (Still are). That could kill Tuesday.

He knew that if he waited until tonight to call Tues (vs today) it would be "safer" but also there was a greater chance of not opening. It was not an easy decision. Hardly ever is :).

The call by Upstate Snow last night, and the radar this am look encouraging.  There is no established accumulation bar for calling a "Special Snow Day" and the skiing seems very likely to be good today.

EDIT: Report from the mountain - 5" of new snow overnight. 23 degrees and still snowing.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
where are the photos and/or updates for monday? who skied and how good was it? i could not answer the bell. my lower back is a mess from the beating it took at hickory on saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
Bet it was good, but had to have been a very light turnout. Not good for the mountain, but good for folks heading up Friday, especially with the little refresher expected Thursday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The pics that I saw looked really good.

Always fun when I'm sitting at my desk and people are txting me pics of the awesome some I am missing.

Spoke to a lurker with a Ski3 who picked up the info on the way to Belle and drove on to Plattekill. Seemed like he was pretty pumped.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
From this morning:  I wish I could claim the tracks, but I'm at work this morning/afternoon.  My buddy said it was quite cold but oh so worth it and he was able to figure 8 his own tracks!!  

Reply | Threaded
|

skiwnw
God that's depressing.  As I sit here in an office staring at a computer monitor under artificial light.  Humans were not meant to live this way I tell ya.  
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
From this morning:  I wish I could claim the tracks, but I'm at work this morning/afternoon.  My buddy said it was quite cold but oh so worth it and he was able to figure 8 his own tracks!!  

Didn't think I could hate my life any more than I do right now...at the office, mildly sick, and not skiing...
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
what can you say..

as we all type on our computers at work
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Bosco DaSkia
JasonWx wrote
what can you say..

as we all type on our computers at work

Ha! Day shift is fer suckers.... Night shift rules!
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by JasonWx
we should be there , it does not look like any of us are working to hard
Reply | Threaded
|

skiwnw
Haha!  True dat!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
What a crappy skier, he should know better, spoon the tracks and save the pow - farm the run one row at a time and if you are going to be a dick and figure 8, at least make them perfect powder 8s, he should have his lift ticket pulled.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
Unbelievable day! Fresh tracks in the woods all day. Will post pics later.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
My gf would sure love a pow day for Valentines tomorrow......
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sweet pics moguljunkie. Hope it's ok that I posted the vid.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
Sure, fine to post it. I couldn't figure out how to do it. Very short video clip due to inability to hold camera steady with the frigid temps.