148 messages Options
123456 ... 8
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Snowboarders.

riverc0il
JasonWx wrote
To my dieing day i will never give up my rant against boarders..
MRG and Alta are a 100% on point...

Dasvidaniya
Shareholder chiming in here. MRG may or may not be 100% on point but this topic is certainly NOT a reason why it may be on point. I categorically reject the assertion that snowboarders are more dangerous than skiers by default. Postulating that snowboard bans are appropriate on the grounds of safety on the slopes is anathema to the cause of retaining said bans. Completely illogical and can't be defended. Arguments like like that make me strongly consider throwing my support against the ban.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Z
This why instructors can't wear their ORDA jackets while free skiing:

http://vertumnus.courts.state.ny.us/claims/search/display.html?terms=110914&url=/claims/html/2008-039-105.html

If the instructor was not wearing his ORDA jacket when he was struck from behind while practicing his turns for PSIA Level 3 on Hawkeye, the woman who hit him wouldn't have sued the State of New York for the alleged negligence of its employee. She lost at trial, and deservedly so, but frivolous lawsuits like this against the State are now avoided if free-skiing instructors are not wearing the ORDA jacket or it's covered by some other garment.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Spongeworthy wrote
I didn't read that whole thing. How did they determine who was actually behind?

This seems a little far fetched:

"Claimant agreed with the assertion that she got on the gondola at 8:18 A.M. and reached the Straight Brook chair at approximately 8:30 A.M. The lift to the top of Hawkeye takes approximately five minutes. She repeated that the accident happened on her fourth or “very possibl[y]” fifth run down Hawkeye at approximately 9:05 A.M. She described her skiing speed as “fairly average.” She later stated that she had participated in some downhill ski races in 2003 and 2004 at Gore. "

Five laps of Hawkeye in 35 minutes?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Ah Harv...yes that is possible...
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
So I just have to chime in on the Alta MRG thing...not a shareholder...yet...but the Ban at MRG has nothing to do with ski vs. Board or anything other than Betsy Pratt's stubborness and the fact that the shareholders don't want it.  They need a 75 or 80% vote to change anything at MRG.  They used to allow snowboarders at MRG...
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
To my dieing day i will never give up my rant against boarders..
May your all powerful God, or possibly the hamster running in the Great Wheel of Fortuna, cast just such a stubborn, anachronistic, judgemental aspersion on you and your people.
KC
Reply | Threaded
|

KC
On the Follies on Whiteface, on one of the straight-aways pointing toward Lake Placid where the trail slopes to the side, in my first year as a snowboarder, I tried to overtake another snowboarder from below.  Now, I can't believe I did it.  There was a skier above the boarder and he swooped down for whatever reason, so the boarder swooped down to avoid being hit by the skier (he was in the skier's blind spot) and clipped me (I was in his blind spot).  I can't even remember what happened, but I ended up sliding on my back towards the edge of the trail.  Until my board was hanging off the edge, I had never even realized how much a drop it is off the sides of the trail up there.  Anyway, we made sure the other was ok and that was it.  Only time I've ever been hit/hit someone.

I can pretty easily recognize traffic patterns in skiers and boarders now and I know when it's safe to overtake someone and when it's just plain dangerous.  I've also realized just how unpredictable a snowboarder's movements are to a skier.  I've realized that the way we move probably makes very little sense to anyone who hasn't spent a decent amount of time watching boarding if not boarding themselves.

I think that anyone who spends a decent amount of time on the mountain should take the time to learn how a snowboarder navigates a hill and, especially, how they move on long flats or trails that slope to the side as well as the general downhill.  It might look random, but some strange, sudden movements of our changing edge are necessary for our not catching an edge.  When a hill is sloped in more than one direction, one edge (heel or toe) is infinitly preferable over the other.  However, eventually, to avoid crossing the trail or losing the edge, one has to switch to the other edge, if only for a brief moment.  

I was on the long flat at the bottom of Excelsior the other day, with quite a bit of speed--essential for a snowboarder to get across that--and there was a snowboarder moving very slowly on what was soon to be my left.  She was goofy and on her heel edge; I'm regular and was on my toe edge.  As the trail slopes slightly to her side, those were our most comfortable edges on that section.  I knew from watching her that her only sudden movements would be toward the left.  I was able to pass her at a steady, comfortable distance before switching up my own edges to avoid catching one.

I've got to say, most of the stereotypes surronding snowboarders are true.  I do see a lot of out of control snowboarders, their boards shaking under them.  But then again, there are a whole lot of out of control skiers...
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
Spongeworthy wrote
I didn't read that whole thing. How did they determine who was actually behind?
A trial determines the facts. Based on her own testimony, the testimony of the only other eyewitness, and the way the instructor was launched down the hill out of his bindings, the court found that she rammed into the instructor from behind. It may be a long read, but trust me, she had no chance of winning. Why she and her attorney thought they should sue anyway is a mystery.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by KC
As KC put it the thing that makes snowboards more dangerous to everyone else is that they alway have a blind side.  Skiers only have a blind spot behind them and since the skier responsibility code says that is you are downhill you have the right away a blind spot behind you is ok.  And since I'm not listening to music I can hear what is coming up from behind me most notably out of control snowboarders are very loud.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by KC
You guys make me laugh..
This has turn into one of the most active threads of the season..Just proves the skiing sucks and it's fun to break balls..

fun fact..my youngest daughter races for her high school during the week and on the weekend she snowboards..  just not with me..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
JasonWx wrote
Hey all you snowboarders..If it's hard pack or a bit icy stay the fuck off the mountain..
Shut the hell up...  I rode my ass off an avoided all kinds of whining jerks...   You must've been one of them..
WAAAAH!!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
JasonWx wrote
Of course I could have been taken out by a skier too, but i have a disdain for boarders .
We hate asswipes like you too...  
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by Gunny J
Gunny J wrote
Everyone brings up teens and boarders as rude and dangerous, the most rude and dangerous people I see at the mountains are middle aged skiers showing up to the mountain alone and living in their own little world unaware of their surroundings. There are plenty of awesome boarders out there that can hold their own with any skiers under any conditions.
YES!  But we snowboarders don't whine and bithc about it like a little entitled girl..
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
 i haven't slept   since saturday , and i'm going to the doc today to see what the hell is going on, with my side..

also learn the definition of tongue n cheek ...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
JasonWx wrote
yo dick boy..i haven't slept   since saturday , and i'm going to the doc today to see what the hell is going on, with my side..

also learn the definition of tongue n cheek ...
So come here and complain...?
Make you feel better there 1990?  

I hope you feel better - I really do - but your a total asswipe for saying all you've said..

Get better -  retro grumpy skier...  But shut the F up with your anti snowboard BS...
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Hunter is the only mountain I've had someone hit me on in 30+ years of skiing. Guess what? It was an out of control snowboarder on an otherwise empty trail. Took me right off my feet and I'm a big dude.

Never been back.

For the record- I ride with some snowboarders pretty regularly and not only do they rip, they understand the rules of the mountain. I think idiots are idiots, no matter what their equipment happens to be. Do certain mountains attract more idiots than others? That's a subject for another thread...
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Hunter is the only mountain I've had someone hit me on in 30+ years of skiing. Guess what? It was an out of control snowboarder on an otherwise empty trail. Took me right off my feet and I'm a big dude.

Never been back.

I had a skier CRUSH me from behind at Jackson Hole..  Total yardsale..  

I''ve been back..

i don't judge a place by one person...  
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
I would go back on a week day sometime if the circumstances lined up.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
dmc_hunter wrote
i don't judge a place by one person...
That's cool dmc.  
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded