classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
460 messages Options
1 ... 14151617181920 ... 23
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sweet Car Thread.

Brownski
Anybody excited about the Ford V Ferrari movie coming out this month? I think I’m at least interested enough to go see it in the theater
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1950186/
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
very !!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
No doubt!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote

Year and a half and a shit ton on money later the Healey is on the road.
You get this thing back on the road?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Oh yeah.  Been in and out of the shop but mostly out.  Running great. Having trouble with high gear low gear flip switch. it is not something that is a real problem. and the fix is a adjustment that is pretty finicky.  Looking around for some old Healey mechanics.  They are out there, with the internet you talk with people all over the country and they know what to do... its finding on within driving distance.
Best time of the year to drive it.  Your legs sit up right next to the engine with a little sheet metal and carpet between you.  When you are out on the highway that thing gets hot to the point that you think your leg maybe melting.
People are pretty impressed I am kinda surprised.  Top speed 95..so far.  It has scored me on Blowy to date.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rt on!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Pretty sweet. The guy who helped me with my TR6 in the early 90s had a restoration business doing 3000s. He had a lot of best in shows
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
TR6's are cool.
I had a TR7. Always wanted a TR8.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
campgottagopee wrote
TR6's are cool.
I had a TR7. Always wanted a TR8.
They were unique for their day but man were they built like crap. The TR6 had 6 u joints in the back end and so you would always get a "clunk" shifting in and out of reverse. The engine was really heavy, the radiator was inadequate and the side draft carbs were impossible to keep balanced. I ended up putting oxygen sensors in both sides of the exhaust so I could keep them tuned properly. After investing a ton in what was close to a frame off restoration I kept it for 2 years and sold if for $.50 on the dollar to make way for a better toy. Vowed never to get enamored with another car again. A few years after that I went all in on Subis - drive the crap out of them and throw them away after 200K.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
No doubt! To say the least they were "quirky"?!?! Electrical nightmare's but you had to embrace their nuances to drive a Triumph. Just something about those British Roadster's that I'll always appreciate.

I rolled the dice once and drove mine from CNY back up to Smuggs to visit some friends. The entire way I was expecting a break down that never happened. Couldn't believe it. Those damn cars would break sitting still.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Yea, I was driving along one summer evening and the engine just stop. I could tell from the symptoms it was the (new) fuel pump. Luckily I had a spanner ( you don’t wrench a British car ). The pin that the holds the lever that pumps the pump slipped out. I was able to jury rig it to get home. They were extremely simple to work on.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
PeeTex wrote
Yea, I was driving along one summer evening and the engine just stop. I could tell from the symptoms it was the (new) fuel pump. Luckily I had a spanner ( you don’t wrench a British car ). The pin that the holds the lever that pumps the pump slipped out. I was able to jury rig it to get home. They were extremely simple to work on.
and a full time job, especially the electrics.

Lucas, Prince of Darkness
Lucas motto " Get home before dark"
Lucas patented the short circuit.
Lucas invented self dimming lights and intermittent wipers

http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
And in the UK Lucas produced refrigeration which explains why the Brits drink warm beer.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by x10003q
Wasn't Jaguar involved with Triumph as well?
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
And in the UK Lucas produced refrigeration which explains why the Brits drink warm beer.
Peetex FTW!

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Speaking of British cars, here is a recently unearthed video of Jonny Jay's (AKA my brother) 1969 Triumph Spitfire Mk 3. If I've posted this before, my apologies, but it seemed relevant to the current drift.

The car has been in our family since our dad bought it new in 1969. In retrospect, I think he was having a mid-life crisis. I was too young to drive it back then but it sure impressed the early girlfriends when you got dropped off in that thing. My brother acquired it in the early 70s, drove it out to Whistler and back, then it sat in a barn for many years. When he could finally afford to restore it, he hired a pro, and helped out by sourcing parts in the early days of the Internet. The restoration cost more than the original purchase price but the results are worth it IMHO. Not the original paint but at least the original colour. The video was made by his son (AKA The Green Beret) for a school project. Filmed on location in the Franco-Hinterlands, just a short hop across the border from Malone, NY:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
spectacular car!

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
YEah nice car...and nice color.  best color for those type cars.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
spectacular car!
Thanks on his behalf, I'll pass it along. I finally got to drive it a few years ago, despite a long history of driving cars with manual transmissions, I had to learn to deal with no syncromesh in first gear.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Totally cool.

Wonderful car. Hopefully still driven as much as possible. Previously owning a triumph I know how they break sitting still.

I still hope I'll own a TR8 someday. Or a Sunbeam Tiger. One of those would be sweet.
1 ... 14151617181920 ... 23