classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1194 messages Options
1 ... 50515253545556 ... 60
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Golf Thread

tirolski
Onondaga county closed all courses Tuesday till the 28th. Our local course was closed for winter then opened then closed then opened and now closed. I'm getting a bunch of take out on Easter as the food is great there. Better than going to store and gives them some cash flow. Been doing the half-fasting thing too. I've been chipping in the back yard with the dog. Haven't hit her yet. She's not much interested in golf but enjoys being out. Good for the soul.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by sig
sig wrote
campgottagopee wrote
sig wrote
campgottagopee wrote
 No GHIN here
sandbagger
Wouldn't you need a handicap to be a sandbagger? šŸ˜
on the tee box discussing terms I can hear the first word out of your mouth about strokes. ... WELL.  Get a handicap and the fuzzy math goes away
Huh? Strokes ? Good gawd

What in the hell ever has given you the idea that I would ask for strokes. Never happen.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tirolski
tirolski wrote
Onondaga county closed all courses Tuesday till the 28th. Our local course was closed for winter then opened then closed then opened and now closed. I'm getting a bunch of take out on Easter as the food is great there. Better than going to store and gives them some cash flow. Been doing the half-fasting thing too. I've been chipping in the back yard with the dog. Haven't hit her yet. She's not much interested in golf but enjoys being out. Good for the soul.
Yep, and state courses remain open
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Sure wish the Masters was being played today. Putting poly on my floors sux
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
campgottagopee wrote
Sure wish the Masters was being played today. Putting poly on my floors sux
that's my next project
are you using a foam applicator or lambs wool?
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Foam. Seems to work good.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Not any more.  State courses are now closed.  
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
State parks are open and I'm fine with that. I don't care that much that courses are closed...it's a small problem... But I wonder how  walking in a state park carrying a bag and hitting a ball is different than walking on the paths?  Is it because money is collected?  It's certainly not essential..
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
tjf1967 wrote
State parks are open and I'm fine with that. I don't care that much that courses are closed...it's a small problem... But I wonder how  walking in a state park carrying a bag and hitting a ball is different than walking on the paths?  Is it because money is collected?  It's certainly not essential..
I have the same thoughts as you.

Also, what about Golf Courses that are *in* State Parks? Can I go to Saratoga Spa State Park with a couple of clubs and just walk around hitting a ball?
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
In the end, nothing but eating and shelter is "essential".  Is that how we want to live???  Golfing is the quintessential social distancing sport.  At some point someone will present a Constitutional challenge to this tyranny.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
onscott wrote
 tyranny.
"They can take our lives... But they will never take our 4 hybrids!"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by onscott
onscott wrote
Golfing is the quintessential social distancing sport.
I guess Iā€™ve completely misunderstood golf these many years!  I somehow had this crazy idea the game was often played in FOURsomes, with many people riding around TOGETHER in carts.  Almost every time Iā€™ve played golf the event ended in lunch with others in the clubhouse, or with drinks at the bar, or beers in the parking lot.

Sure, the game of golf can be made into a relatively solitary activity, but is everyone who goes out and plays right now going to stick to that?  Itā€™s not hard to ā€œjustifyā€ thumbing our nose at what society is asking of us during this crisis.  However, IMHO, now is more a time to embrace (and not just talk about) sacrifice for the greater good, as opposed to coming up with justifications for the activities we ā€œneedā€ to do.

Snide comment from mister ā€œsacrifice your wealth for the greater good, but donā€™t think about sacrificing my ski/golf timeā€ in 3....2....1....

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I played last Sunday. One person per cart.. The holes were stuffed. They should have had us pay remotely by cc but the lady was behind a window.  I felt a little guilty but never put anyone in danger of breathing my spit.  I think fat stooges would see cars in the parking lots as they were coming back from Dunkin donuts and got on face book and went nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Same here. You can't imagine the hate messages that were on that machine. As far as I know courses are still open here. As soon as this snow goes away I'll get back out there. It's very easy to social distance while playing golf.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
.  I think fat stooges would see cars in the parking lots as they were coming back from Dunkin donuts and got on face book and went nuts.
Yep.

And JTG had to come here to shame people, too (even though he had no idea about the social distance measures that courses had already taken). Uninformed bitching is what he's best at.

Hey Jump Turn Guy, what was your screen name on those Disney message boards?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
While he is at home eating like there is no tomorrow.  He has to buy all that extra food some where.  Jump turn guy still cracks me up
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Ahh...MC, I know full well the measures that golf courses are (or had been) taking to promote social distancing in the game.  No uninformed bitching.  Fact of the matter is that golf is a social game.  You can try to take the social out of the game, but just because you can do something doesnā€™t mean you should do something!

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I don't know how it ever got declared as essential in the first place.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
I get the exercise thing.  I donā€™t disagree that golf can be made to be largely safe during this COVID-19 crisis.  I get that people might be upset if golf courses are closed, just like many are upset they canā€™t go skiing.  However, coming on here to complain about closed golf courses or to tell us how one has thwarted ski area restrictions during this unprecedented time is the truest of uninformed bitching.

And to be honest, IDRGAF if you guys go golfing, even if the courses are closed.  I mean I do a little, because it seems incredibly short sighted and small minded to ignore current restrictions, and Iā€™m willing to do my part and abide with closures, sans constant bitching...but I know everyone wonā€™t.  There will always be selfish people who donā€™t get it, and my saying something here wonā€™t change that.  I just have fun pushing Mr. WeAreAllInThisTogether (ExceptForMySkiAndGolfTime)ā€™s buttons.
1 ... 50515253545556 ... 60