classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1194 messages Options
1 ... 52535455565758 ... 60
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Golf Thread

campgottagopee
I'm not disagreeing with you. I too think it would be ok here. I'm ok with waiting. Weather sucks.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This makes me happy 😊
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
We're back in business. League starts Monday.
Updated conditions for golf operations.

Clubs may resume allowing members to play golf under the following conditions:  • There can be no employees working at the recreational component of the golf operation except for security personnel  • Security personnel can be delineated by each club (examples include but not limited to owner, head pro and starter) and will be present to enforce social distancing rules  • No access is permitted to club facilities including but not limited to the club house, pro shop, bag room and locker room  • No caddies  • No golf carts (except personal pull carts), you must either carry your own bag or use a pull cart  • All golfers MUST maintain proper social distancing at all times, this is mandatory, no exceptions  • Allowing guests is to be determined by the security personnel on the golf course  • Maintenance personnel are permitted to work on the golf course  • Clubs are strongly advised to provide a printed copy of the new guidance to security personnel, as local law enforcement may come to a club and may not be aware of the new guidance

I don't see how an organized league will operate under these conditions.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Pro, ya think Bruce would qualify as security?
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
LOL...definitely. The day we played he was packing...
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote

Which stipulation? We all walk anyway, and I don't want to get within 6 feet of these dirty drunks even when there's not a pandemic.
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
Are all courses doing the raised-cup thing for the foreseeable future? That may result in more hole-in-ones!
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
MC2
I don't want to get within 6 feet of these dirty drunks even when there's not a pandemic.

At our course they've been known as "filthy animals". Works for me and kind of catchy in the bat flu era.
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
In reply to this post by bumps
bumps wrote
Are all courses doing the raised-cup thing for the foreseeable future?
I've suggested to several folks in our local golf world to use the cup as an actual cup.
Fill the little fu**er with soapy water and use O-ring so it doesn't leak out.
It'll clean hands and then use your golf towel to dry your cleaned soapy water touched hands.
Soapy water has been used by greens keepers for chasing ant problems away from greens, so shouldn't be too "bad for glass.
No ball washers are being made available so I'm bringing a ziplock with a wash rag containing a bar of soap with water. Again using a golf towel to dry. "

It'll be interesting what the PGA pros do when they start back up. I doubt they'll ever use a raised cup and count it as a golfing event. Raised golf cups are worse than kissing thru a screen door, but better than nothing.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
At the one course I played before they closed it down, it was like a half deep cup. The ball could go "in", but you could just use your putter head to knock it out.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Played Bluff Point today
They have the cup only 1” deep so you can knock the ball out with your putter
It doesn’t always even stay in.  No one is getting a hole in 1 with that

Course is in nice shape for April
the greens growing and have been cut recently
Fairways are dry

Was a bit cool and windy with a south wind.  If you get an East wind there it gets very cold fast due to the Lake
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote
LOL...definitely. The day we played he was packing...
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
MC2 5678F589 wrote
pro2860 wrote

Which stipulation? We all walk anyway, and I don't want to get within 6 feet of these dirty drunks even when there's not a pandemic.
First of all, I've never seen a golf league where everyone walks... too hard to carry your six pack. Leagues normally have a pro or a league secretary that distributes and collects scorecards. Pretty tough to do that when social distancing but what the hell would I know about running a golf league..
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote
 but what the hell would I know about running a golf league..
Besides everything?
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Golf is for WALKING, all of you lazy fucking assholes. Can't believe with the beautiful day that we were able to enjoy yesterday, how many lazy fucks were driving a cart, and most of them had 2 people in the cart!!! Those lazy, spoiled, privileged fuckheads!!
 If you're physically handicapped no problem, take a cart BY YOURSELF!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
pro2860 wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
pro2860 wrote

First of all, I've never seen a golf league where everyone walks... too hard to carry your six pack. Leagues normally have a pro or a league secretary that distributes and collects scorecards. Pretty tough to do that when social distancing but what the hell would I know about running a golf league..
We have (multiple) guys in their 70s who walk. They all have very nice pushcarts (some with small coolers). I'm one of only 2 guys who carries the bag on the shoulders (I like the "workout").

One of the guys in the league collects scorecards (but we might submit them electronically now).

Any other concerns?

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
Golf is for WALKING, all of you lazy fucking assholes. Can't believe with the beautiful day that we were able to enjoy yesterday, how many lazy fucks were driving a cart, and most of them had 2 people in the cart!!! Those lazy, spoiled, privileged fuckheads!!
 If you're physically handicapped no problem, take a cart BY YOURSELF!
agree Golf is a walking sport - I hate playing in a cart and will shoot a worse score if i do not walk

Right now in NY you can only walk - all use of carts is prohibited.  Its part of the deal they made to get golf open again.  The goal is to have zero employees interact with golfers.  If you had carts someone would need to disinfect them between uses which on a large plastic golf cart is not practical.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Did you witness people riding in carts with more than one person in it?  Even one is not allowed but it is certainly safe so I would not be bothered about it. If you saw two people in carts then that's a problem. I hope you are not riding bikes with a partner...you have to be a lot further away if you are breathing heavy.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
MC2 5678F589 wrote
pro2860 wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
pro2860 wrote

We have (multiple) guys in their 70s who walk. They all have very nice pushcarts (some with small coolers). I'm one of only 2 guys who carries the bag on the shoulders (I like the "workout").

One of the guys in the league collects scorecards (but we might submit them electronically now).

Any other concerns?
Yes
Digging the ball out of the hole with your putter. Not good for the cup but fuck it you're done with the hole so who cares...
1 ... 52535455565758 ... 60