classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1194 messages Options
1 ... 5354555657585960
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Golf Thread

Darkside Shaman
Yes, multiple carts with 2 people in them. I don't ride my bike with anyone, just my dogs, far far away from humans, especially the asshole ones that think they know more than anyone
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
 If you had carts someone would need to disinfect them between uses which on a large plastic golf cart is not practical.
Sure it is. Wipe down the steering wheel, center console, and seats. Boom, done deal. Just don't go around licking the rest of it.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
You don't?  
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Then if in fact you did see that go ahead and report it.  Ignorant people are not just confined to the MTB trails, golf courses have them to.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
You don't?
Not intentionally
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Any other concerns?
Yes
Digging the ball out of the hole with your putter. Not good for the cup but fuck it you're done with the hole so who cares...
Again, the holes (at the one course I played so far) were set up so that the ball would only go in a little ways and you could just knock it out. This guy did the same:
Z wrote
They have the cup only 1” deep so you can knock the ball out with your putter
It doesn’t always even stay in.  No one is getting a hole in 1 with that
Not sure why that is a league-specific issue either?

Why are you going HAM on this issue? If you want to open up leagues at your course, open them up (with rules). Don't blame other courses for trying to keep their businesses alive.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
So shallower cups means you don’t have to reach your grubby coronavirus fingers into the hole, so the cup doesn’t become an infection source, if you assume everyone’s got CV-19?  I guess the coronavirus you get on the ball with your grubby coronavirus fingers on the tee will come off as you play the hole?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JTG4eva! wrote
So shallower cups means you don’t have to reach your grubby coronavirus fingers into the hole, so the cup doesn’t become an infection source, if you assume everyone’s got CV-19?  I guess the coronavirus you get on the ball with your grubby coronavirus fingers on the tee will come off as you play the hole?
Not sure what the transmission rate is from hand to tee to grass to grass to hole to grass to hand is, but I suppose it's greater than zero. We all take risks, I guess.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
True,, Probably less than pumping gas
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
My norm on par 3’s is to pick up a broken tee and use that.  I don’t like the added drag of a full length driver tee with irons.  Had to prevent myself from doing that

I guess if someone happened to spit in the grass and you touched it but the odds seem low.  Don’t spit of tee boxes I guess should now be a rule and no putting your lit cigar down.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Got out yesterday for first golf outing in NY for me. Played a bunch in Florida, late feb-early march for a couple weeks, yeah I missed the skiing but sometimes ya got to go and visit good friends and play golf too. It's a blessing. Played with my usual suspects around noon and just a few folks around. No carts allowed. No divot filler stuff. No trash receptacles. Course played well but cool sunny weather and damp conditions required at least 2 extra club adjustment. Flagsticks never touched and they installed the thing where ball still showed after ya sunk one. Worked well. Stick being always in was hardest but can't complain. Ball was constantly getting mud-dirt (no ball washers) but the zip lock baggy containing and old bar of soap with a wash rag worked really well. I let another "filthy animal" use my zip lock bag for cleaning theirs too. They used their own towel to get the soap off when finished. Hopefully the filthy animal will bring his own baggy for next time. If not I'll still share my bag of soapy wash cloth thingy. Hardest part for me was to refrain from cursing as a nice lady we play with suggested such (I was used to playing with the boys in Florida but not blaming them)... I pretty much stopped it after, that but my play was improved so I don't no whether the cause and effect thing was in play. The "usual suspects" are over 75 with one gent in his mid 80s. Parking lot was fuller when we left. Social distancing appeared to be well respected. It was great to walk in the park and golf really didn't get in the way much.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
tirolski wrote
. Flagsticks never touched and they installed the thing where ball still showed after ya sunk one. Worked well. Stick being always in was hardest but can't complain. Ball was constantly getting mud-dirt (no ball washers)
I also played yesterday and found these to be the biggest adjustments. Good idea with the baggie.

A bunch of guys tailgated (proper social distance) after the round, but I'm worried that they'll shut it all down again if they see people gathering, so I got out of there.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I like that zip lock baggie idea.  I’m definitely going to try that out

I as well like a 19th hole beverage especially as I don’t ever drink while playing but the optics of a tail gate beer are not good right now and anything that looks bad about golf that can be seen from the road could get the plug pulled again so I’ve refrained.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Played LP Club Mountain course yesterday for the first time this yr
The grass doesn’t roll that smoothly yet with my push cart and those hills were tiring.  I played thru a a 4some with a huge dude that clearly has not walked those hilly 6 miles at least in his recent past based on his size.  Dude looked like he was going to have a heart attack before got done and 17 and 18 are straight up hill.

I believe all golf should be walking and some guys are going to benefit from his no carts policy or die trying.  
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Z wrote
I believe all golf should be walking.
For the L.P. climate, I pretty much agree.  Some months it would be tough to golf in Florida without a cart.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I think we should change it to you have to job the course?  Where does it stop?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
As someone who has a bad wheel I'd prefer a cart.

I think there's plenty of folks who can't play without a cart. Old bastards, handicapped, etc

No cart rule is dumb AF
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
I believe all golf should be walking
That's like saying all turns should be earned in skiing. Don't you ride a chairlift all winter?

I would say that at least 30% of our members are unable to walk our course. I guess they should not be allowed to play.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Carts are back in now

Aren't they?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Have you guys ever played in Scotland or Ireland?
To use a trolly as they call them over there you need to be over 70 years old or have a note from Dr.  This seems like a good policy for everywhere.  People can use the exercise.  If you walk the average of 6 miles to play 18 it burns 2000 calories

I also think as long as there are not big distances btw holes or super hilly it is faster for a 4 some to play walking.
1 ... 5354555657585960