Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

D.B. Cooper
snoloco wrote
For those who were going to say "pics or it didn't happen":
How do we know they were your pics?

Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Curious if there is an official position, or unofficial "policy", regarding uphill traffic during wind holds.  The official policy is that uphill climbing is only permitted during non-operating hours, and is not permitted during daytime lift operations. However, what if lifts aren't operating due to winds?  Any love, or strictly stealth mode?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
looks like all the new snow is being blown off whiteface as we speak
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Blown off?  Nah.  The mountain is more like MC2 nirvana right now......the wealth is simply being redistributed!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I spied, with my little eye, a lone, dark, backpacked figure on the webcam.....so someone got up the mountain!  Still looks like the lifts are down?  Face Lift is motionless, and other than it snowing there is no other activity on the webcam to this point.....wait, a distant blur just sped down Boreen.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
why ask questions you might not like the answer to.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Exactly!

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by tjf1967
Not that I really expected much wiggle room, especially at a Govt run entity like WF, but public use issues/questions are a common thing nowadays, and you never for sure if the (jack)boots on the ground answer differs.  There are mountains out there with permit to use public lands where the legit answer would be to stop in at Patrol.  I won't ask again. Sorry!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
6 laps in cloudsplitter glades today!  Skin2win!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
ScottyJack wrote
Nice!
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Bravo!  Couldn't swing it today, but I'm going to try to make it up for lift served with my brother tomorrow.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
what's the skin route for that?  Up excelsior to approach

how did the slides make out from this storm?  assuming avy gear for sure again soon?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Ha I thought moderhater was all HPD.

Ski off, serious business!

Surprised you guys aren't going to Plattekill.
No that was all SJ...I thought one of his greatest hits. I used the term a lot cause I thought it was funny and to the point.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
(jack)boots  - really? harsh

WF has a user friendly uphill policy. The only concern is safety for all involved.

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Sorry HPD, the jackboots wasn't a swipe at or commentary on the hill or the policy.  I meant to say 'boots on the ground', as in what's actually happening.  I just added the 'Jack' because SJ used the jackboot term on me in another thread.  No offense intended.  I'm ok with the policy, and I get why things have to be what they are.  I wouldn't say it's a super friendly policy, but it's not too restrictive, either.  If they don't freak out on a day like today if they notice someone like SJ making skin laps....that's really cool.

Hoping for a good day Tursday, looks like I'm headed up!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Z
<quote author="Coach Z">
ScottyJack wrote
Coach Z wrote
what's the skin route for that?  Up excelsior to approach
Regular route then branch off at summit express to lower empire into the woods.  I really like the skin route in there - out of the wind, away from the groomers....  maybe propose a new "snow" skin route.  We'd all love to be in the woods as much as possible to stay out of the wind and the way of on mtn staff....  

Coach Z wrote
how did the slides make out from this storm?  assuming avy gear for sure again soon?
serious wind slab sitting on a weak layer due to ice crust.  Lots of whoomping and fracturing going on in the high peaks.   WF slides need some skinners to get in there on dawn patrol and ski cut and ski that slab out...  winds were brutal and sustained yesterday.    
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah, the wind did a job.  Right now you can find anything out there, from trails blown down to tractor ice (note: Dynafits do NOT respond well to long stretches of bulletproof), to firm wind affected powder, to trails (and non-trails) covered in boot to knee deep soft pow.  There's even a surface crust in places.  All that on top of a significant ice crust from last Tuesday's event.....I understand why the Slides aren't open.  Still, disappointing to leave the pack in as I head back out.

While the fresh didn't last long, it's a great day.  Didn't get on snow until 10 (should have swapped the sole blocks LAST NIGHT. ), but I still got long stretches of untracked pow on Lower Sky, Cloud, Empire, and the woods are chock full......

The Lookout lift line should be a trail.  It just might, maybe, ski like a wet ski dream when blanketed in knee deep untracked pow.  Maybe....

Been mellow since the lot so on the last gondi ride I declined the dab from the local crew talking about hitting the gondi lift line.  Time to go see if they did.....
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
probably a good decision.  Gondi line was the first thing we checked out in yesterday's howling wind.  wind slab and ice crust, but from the lift I'm sure it looked deep!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The Lookout lift line has a ton of trees down in from when they cut it and just left them there.  I wouldn't recommend it from a safety perspective.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
There's a lot of snow out there.  Everything today skied great.  On trails like Upper Sky they groomed most, but skiers left was ungroomed and soft piles of powder.  Avoid the icy middles and you are fine.  Cloud was great, Blazer's, best packed powder I've seen on Boreen.  Glades are sweet.

Sugar Valley late in the day.  Untracked tight line of a dozen turns or so.  One of the lines that takes you toward the creek bed, but so worth it.

Untracked lines entice you lower into the bed....

But better to go with the p.i.a traverse right above the bed to link up with Sugar Valley proper.

Great day, especially if willing and able to explore.
1 ... 27282930313233 ... 39