1 ... 456789
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

Z
It would be helpful to know how thick that layer that let go is
Back when we had the big storm there was a half inch thick ice layer that happened right before it changed to snow up high.  Skiing upper cloudspin I kept feeling that layer break as I was skiing the pow.  I reached down into the snow and pulled up a huge sheet of it
Most likely that is what slid
You get some warmer temps and strong sun and the water drains from snow melt drains down to that ice layer and lubricates it and the snow slides
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Today it’s a kid on Christmas morning kind of day.....Ullr could deliver a shit ton on snow in the next 12 hours, or we could get a lump of coal.  There were two inches overnight, and current forecasts call for another 5-9 at the summit.  Possible lake effect filtering in after that.  Hoping Ullr delivers and I’ll be there tomorrow.  If anyone is storm skiing keep us posted.

Anyone know if the Slides have been open this week?

Question....has anyone figured out how to read the conditions report with respect to the Slides?  We know they have been open, but they’ve never been shown as open on the conditions report.  No green checks, nary a word.  They have had a ‘slow skiing’ caution symbol next to them lately.  Is that a permanent addition, or something they do when they anticipate them opening?  I wish the flow of info with respect to the Slides was a little better.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss

Awesome morning.  About 6 inches of HEAVY snow I would say.  It looks about done now and the sun is coming out.

Hoyts was the ROTD so far, me and this other guy got first tracks and kept lapping it as the wind blew it all back in.  I'll fully admit I'm the worlds most okay powder skier, I don't have the right skis or technique, but that dude was amazing.  We skied for a while until he left me.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Sun? About done?

That needs to go away keep pumping!
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Today it’s a kid on Christmas morning kind of day.....Ullr could deliver a shit ton on snow in the next 12 hours, or we could get a lump of coal.  There were two inches overnight, and current forecasts call for another 5-9 at the summit.  Possible lake effect filtering in after that.  Hoping Ullr delivers and I’ll be there tomorrow.  If anyone is storm skiing keep us posted.

Anyone know if the Slides have been open this week?

Question....has anyone figured out how to read the conditions report with respect to the Slides?  We know they have been open, but they’ve never been shown as open on the conditions report.  No green checks, nary a word.  They have had a ‘slow skiing’ caution symbol next to them lately.  Is that a permanent addition, or something they do when they anticipate them opening?  I wish the flow of info with respect to the Slides was a little better.
When marketing is being coy of the slides I’d take that mean it’s iffy they will open and or conditions are dicey but they want some very controlled ski cutting in there.  In that case they flash open and close quick with little notice.  I’ve skied them as a ski cutter and usually there is reason for the limited opening.  

Also for general knowledge if the vis is low or variable with a cloud hanging on the summit you can pretty much stop asking if the will open.  They won’t.  Same goes for a storm day or when it’s windy.  99.9% of the time they open only on sunny days with low wind
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The top of One was a smooth sheet if ice. Now it has 6 inches of snow on it, if the wind doesn't blow it off.  Or maybe it could fill in with wind, don't know the specifics of aspect and wind direction, but I wouldn't count on that.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The slow skiing/caution symbol has never shown on Slide 1 during the time the Slides have been open.

Your source mention whether they’ve been open at all this week?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I’d take that to mean that even if they open slide 1 is not happening
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Mgmt was concerned about the traverse across to all slides.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Wow!  Just...wow.
Reply | Threaded
|

xWeatherMan
Wow is correct. My wife thought this was the best powder day she has ever had in 5o+years of skiing. We were literally finding untracked sections on Drapers Drop at 3;00pm. The snow above where the mid station was was well over a foot deep.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Been planning on it, but I am beat after McCauley.  Might stay here at Gore.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I was in Montreal yesterday for work but apparently I missed a all time great WF pow day.  The guy I coach with could stop raving about it.

I had first tracks in Empire today which was sweet

The glades also skied well. fun day
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
Wow first tracks must’ve been nice in there. When I got to look at Empire around 2:30 PM it had big bumps and looked super narrow. I passed and went on to wilderness instead. Any tips on how gnarly Hoyts is? I haven’t skied that yet and think I might check it out tomorrow. Is it any trickier than the other diamonds? It looks a lot longer.

Today I was in powder nearly up to my knees on skyward, cloudspin, and Niagara. I have never ever skied in this kind of snow before. It was intense.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
NYSnowflake,

Hook up with Coach Z and he'll get you down Hoyt's, one way or another.  What's the worst that can happen?

Yo, Coach Z,

We're invading the 'Face Saturday 3/14/20 with about 60 'Lil rippers from our Season Long Program @ Gore.  Are available to do a lap or tree?  Let me know, these kids are a hoot.

Ski you on the Hill,

64ER
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Called an audible late last night and schlepped up to WF at 4 AM today after late arrival home last night due to work. Not pow skiing but it was well worth it. Mountain skied great today, especially Cloudspin and the woods. Grateful thegreatabyss had extra space at his place to stay and tolerated our "excursion" into the christmas trees between Sky and Cloudspin 

Overall, great day

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions were in

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by NYSnowflake
NYSnowflake wrote
Any tips on how gnarly Hoyts is? I haven’t skied that yet and think I might check it out tomorrow. Is it any trickier than the other diamonds? It looks a lot longer.
Hoyts is long, and there are a few steeper sections, and in spots it has a double fall line thing going, so Hoyt’s presents some challenges.....but overall it’s not as difficult as Skyward when the conditions are good.

This afternoon conditions weren’t great.  Hoyt’s can tend to get skied off and scratchy/icy, which it was.  If they groom it I’d say definitely hit it, early.  If not, expect some firmness to go along with the rest of Hoyt’s challenges.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by 64ER
What program and ages you got?  Is this nysef or snowsports?

I coach our lil rippers program until 11:30 on Saturdays
Maybe I can get myself detailed to guide you guys around in the afternoon
Have your boss lady call my boss man
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
Hoyts is definitely my new favorite trail anywhere!  I skied it three times in a row and my husband had to drag me away back to skyward. I think I really enjoyed playing with a double fall line and twists and turns on Hoyts. It was fun to manage my speed with round turns on the twists and the double fall lines. It’s so gorgeous today! Also skyward is pretty sweet too, both upper and lower.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
1 ... 456789