734 messages Options
1 ... 28293031323334 ... 37
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Colleges for Skiing?

Cunningstunts
Banned User
It does add a year, but why does that matter?  You don't pay any tuition when you are doing your co-ops, which you alternate in between classes.  They start your third year.  You graduate with a year of work experience, one year wiser and hopefully with less debt or burden to your parents.

There are programs where you can get your masters in 5 years too, but you work less.  My brother did this.  Personally, I think the work experience is worth more.

Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Hoser wrote
Clarkson.   Best placement.  Great partnership environment unlike the ivies.    End of discussion unless you want to pay more for less
Gonna give these guys another look. We’re spring-loaded to favor the SUNY schools but obviously the list is still pretty long. It would be nice if comparing costs was a little easier of course.
The site “collegedata.com” has the best raw info. Bypass all their BS by just plugging the school name and collegedata into a search.

Lots of info to process.

https://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg01_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=232

There is Clarkson.^

We are in the thick of things now. I did not find the FAFSA to be too intrusive, but the more elite schools use the “CSS Profile”, which involves a bit more of a financial proctological examination.

With regards to Clarkson, if your child is a junior, go take a tour and get an admissions department interview. Then have your kid apply for their “leadership” award as well as another one I can’t remember the name of.  They will give one of each to each school system. It’s $15,000/year off right off the bat. Now....their sticker price is artificially high, as are most. But this is a start down the road to what an actual cost will be.  The second award (maybe called President’s award?) is $12,000/year.  Both have to be awarded to juniors.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Hoser
Hoser wrote
Clarkson.   Best placement.  Great partnership environment unlike the ivies.    End of discussion unless you want to pay more for less
Not according to that college data site (and I was skeptical based on my own knowledge).

Clarkson 81%
RIT 95%

I'd call that a significant difference.  Tuition is $10k per year less off the bat as well.

https://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg01_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=232

https://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg01_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=108

Does look like way more financial aid to Clarkson, and I'm not sure why.  Also RIT data would be for all majors, and not all are required to do coops.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
A close to home Mechanical Engineering program would be SUNY Maritime in the Bronx.  Good school that sometimes gets overlooked a bit by those who aren’t into the whole Maritime aspect.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote
A close to home Mechanical Engineering program would be SUNY Maritime in the Bronx.  Good school that sometimes gets overlooked a bit by those who aren’t into the whole Maritime aspect.
That’s another one we’re looking at closely. It’s supposedly got a good placement rate for jobs after graduation
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Brownski wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
That’s another one we’re looking at closely. It’s supposedly got a good placement rate for jobs after graduation
90% according to the site linked earlier.  It's the best of any of the SUNY schools that offer engineering.  

Cost is on par with SUNY Poly.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
Cunningstunts wrote
Brownski wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
90% according to the site linked earlier.  It's the best of any of the SUNY schools that offer engineering.  

Cost is on par with SUNY Poly.
My brother graduated from Maritime.  He was always into the military thing, history buff and all.  Was hoping for the Naval Academy but needed a waiver for his eyes, which he didn’t get.  He started working for the government right out of school I think, at the shipyard in Philly.  He was Electrical, does shit with shock trials (setting off explosives next to ships to see how it fucks with electrical systems).  He’s done well for himself.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
If my kid(s) were in that area and could commute from home, I'd seriously consider it.  The total cost would be very low.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by PeeTex
St Mikes has a partnership with UVM and Clarkson for Engineering

My son is taking Robotics as a full year course at Northwood.  He likes it and will likely take 3 years of it.  Pretty cool set up they have there that I doubt any public school could rival.  I toured it dur8ng parents weekend and was impressed.  I’m going to present an intro to motor technology to his class in a couple weeks.

I also was super impressed with the quality of teaching at NW when I sat in on a couple classes during parents weekend.  Good to see the investment in tuition looks to be worth it.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
Statistics may be based in that study off percent reporting which is in low 80s for CU.

http://internal.clarkson.edu/career/about/placement/index.html

This internal reporting is closer to what I have witnessed from CU
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Hoser wrote
Statistics may be based in that study off percent reporting which is in low 80s for CU.

http://internal.clarkson.edu/career/about/placement/index.html

This internal reporting is closer to what I have witnessed from CU
It's not total placement as Clarkson reports on their site, it's employment within 6 months of graduation.  They actually claim a little lower on their site.

I don't doubt RIT is 95% employment after graduation, it's very, very career focused education.  I think 4% was graduate studies, so that leaves 1% non-displaced.  Pretty damn good.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Z
UVM like many other schools has an honors college. The nice thing about that is students who get into it get priority for classes at registration time, get more opportunities for undergraduate research, and better housing which is also a community of the best students who are more dedicated to thier majors. The down side is that there are extra courses they need to take which usually means a few more credit hours not in their major per semester. They also need to keep a high GPA to stay in. The end result is they tend to stay focused but can burn out.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
Really can’t go wrong at CU RPI RIT UofR Cornell.  Really what u put into in.  Decide if sports a part of it. Also location big vs small.  Greek vs not.  Financials.  Individual vs team approach.  International studies.   Mandatory coop vs internships.  Summer research or Stewart’s.   Tundra vs Troy vs other.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Hoser wrote
Really can’t go wrong at CU RPI RIT UofR Cornell.  Really what u put into in.  Decide if sports a part of it. Also location big vs small.  Greek vs not.  Financials.  Individual vs team approach.  International studies.   Mandatory coop vs internships.  Summer research or Stewart’s.   Tundra vs Troy vs other.
Oh, I totally agree.

I think Z's son has the right idea with Clarkson if he's skiing competitively and is interested in Engineering.  None of those others provide that to my knowledge.

I think as a recreational skier, Clarkson isn't the obvious choice.  It's a farther drive to WF than it is to skiing at any of the other schools.  Granted it's a bit different caliber of skiing, I still think proximity matters quite a bit.

I'd also throw UB in there too.  But as I said, Buffalo is a tough city.  That early season snow can make or break you.  Snow is fun when you can ski it, but when you have to shovel 4-5' every day to get out of your house and deal with a-holes in traffic, it's a different story.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
My daughter scrubbed RIT from her list because 1) it’s just that much further from home 2) they do not have a B.S in Civil Engineering, only Civil Engineering Technology.  Seems weird considering all that their Engineering Dept offers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
witch hobble wrote
My daughter scrubbed RIT from her list because 1) it’s just that much further from home 2) they do not have a B.S in Civil Engineering, only Civil Engineering Technology.  Seems weird considering all that their Engineering Dept offers.
I don't think the Civil Engineering thing is an issue if you aren't interested in Civil Engineering.  I have no idea why they don't have that program.

The Engineering and Engineering Technology schools are completely different though.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by witch hobble
Dartmouth has a good engineering program and its own ski hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
That’s one of her reach schools.  And closest to home.  Rare for anybody from our HS to get in though.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by witch hobble
My kid got her BS in Civil from Cornell. Buffs program is very highly rated too..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
We’d be out of state at any of the SUNYs so UNH is more likely. And Dartmouth is the only ivy she’s applying to......like I said, our “school profile” is not quite up to the level of suburban districts.  She is a pretty big fish in a fairly small pond.
1 ... 28293031323334 ... 37